What did the typical GWR single track branch look like?

Lacathedrale

Maybe think about a GWR branch line junction to ensure operational interest? Dulverton would make an excellent model - you could even justify the odd foreign loco such as an N class if you set it in the 1950s. Many rural branches had little traffic and a 14xx and autocoach will only keep you entertained for so long ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

A single-road carriage shed or none at all.

Would I be right in supposing that a terminus with a carriage shed would also of necessity be one with an engine shed? This would mean that the first passenger train of the day was from the terminus to the junction rather than vice-versa, and the last train of the day down to the terminus. No doubt that would in many cases be the preferable arrangement for the travelling public but less efficient from the railway company's point of view!

Edited by Compound2632
typo.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, fezza said:

Maybe think about a GWR branch line junction to ensure operational interest? Dulverton would make an excellent model - you could even justify the odd foreign loco such as an N class if you set it in the 1950s. Many rural branches had little traffic and a 14xx and autocoach will only keep you entertained for so long ...

I had my mind set on 1930s GWR. I wanted to switch between one of three train sets for passenger

Small prairie with B set 

14xx with autocoach (usual)

64xx sandwiched with two auto coaches 

My idea was to operate one of these based out of the terminus and then have another coming from “the junction” to the terminus. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, fezza said:

Dulverton would make an excellent model

Dulverton was a through station on the (single track) line from Taunton to Barnstaple, and also the next station west of the junction with the Exe valley line through Tiverton. There was only a small halt at the point of the junction (it was basically in the middle of nowhere), so Dulverton acted as the junction station.

As a result, Dulverton station had more facilities for passenger trains than you might expect. As well as two platforms for up and down trains on the main line, there was a loop on the down side providing a third platform face - and this was used primarily by the Exe valley trains. The Exe valley trains were typically small - auto trains, B sets. However, the main line trains were often larger - 3 or 4 coaches common, while the summer Saturday trains heading to/from the seaside resorts could be much larger. In BR days, 63xx 2-6-0s seem to be common on the main line trains.

Goods facilities were modest, as suited a small country town, but the freight services running through could be fairly substantial in size.

Yours, Mike.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RaritanFan4 said:

Another question I have is about the blue markings on certain GWR coach bogies. Is there a reason why they were painted with a little blue by the axle? 

Mr Collett’s tested and approved axleboxes, suitable for express speeds.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/10/2024 at 13:35, RaritanFan4 said:

I had my mind set on 1930s GWR. I wanted to switch between one of three train sets for passenger

Small prairie with B set 

My idea was to operate one of these based out of the terminus and then have another coming from “the junction” to the terminus. 

These are just thoughts and not based on detailed knowledge of GW branch workings.  

You can maybe justify having both types of train if the branch had some trains that ran through to or from a city (for commuters perhaps) and some that just ran to the junction to connect with main line trains. They would tend though to be the larger BLTs such as Henley and I'm not sure they wouldn't have been too frequented for auto trains.  I note that local engine sheds were quite common at the ends of branches but rare at the junction unless it was a major station in its onw right. 

There was a whole thread on RMweb on GW autotrains "GWR Autocoach 1930 operations at provincial mainline stations" and the conclusion seemed to be that GW autotrains were more a creature of the suburbs than the sleepy branch line. Their advantage was the faster turnround  but that would be less important on a sleepy branch. It might though be important on a  short branch connecting a majorish town that had been left off the railway map so needed the branch to connect with a main line not too far away so needing a frequent service to connect with main line trains but not necessarily a heavily loaded one. Cholsey-Wallingford springs immediately to mind and the Wallingford Bunk was an autotrain in the 1930s. I dont think the branch had any through services onto the main line but I'd be happy to be wrong about that.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Plenty of 64xx auto trains with autocoaches either side of the loco in the South Wales Valleys and some with additional trailers as well, add in non auto fitted locos too which then had to run around autocoaches.

What do you mean by additional trailers? 3 auto coaches on a train? 

1 hour ago, RaritanFan4 said:

What do you mean by additional trailers? 3 auto coaches on a train? 

So an example might be an auto fitted 45xx at Cymmer General as autocoach, brake, 45xx & autocoach.

Another might be autocoach, autocoach 45xx (auto fitted) at Bridgend

Or autoach, trailer,64xx, autocoach at Porthcawl.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Or autoach, trailer,64xx, autocoach at Porthcawl.

Presumably a specially fitted trailer with the auto coach equipment run through?

Paul.

On 01/10/2024 at 13:35, RaritanFan4 said:

Small prairie with B set 

The Moretonhampstead Branch saw both auto trains hauled by a 14XX and prairies hauling B sets.

The Exe Valley Line and the Teign Valley line also saw 14XX auto trains and B sets, but these were both double ended lines. 

cheers

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Apart from its very active publicity department, I think there's a very simple real reason for the relatively greater popularity of the GWR, including its branch lines.  It was the only major company to maintain its identity intact through the grouping. The other big four companies  had only been around for twenty five years on nationalisation and hadn't necessarily inherited existing loyalties to their consituent railways or developed quite the same loyalties for themselves .

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Rivercider said:

The Moretonhampstead Branch saw both auto trains hauled by a 14XX and prairies hauling B sets.

The Exe Valley Line and the Teign Valley line also saw 14XX auto trains and B sets, but these were both double ended lines. 

cheers

The Teign Valley also saw trains diverted from the seawall at times of pertubance, not hauled by Kings and Castles though, more moguls and the like.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

The Teign Valley also saw trains diverted from the seawall at times of pertubance, not hauled by Kings and Castles though, more moguls and the like.

I believe this to be true, but still look forward to seeing some photos, to show what any of the diverted trains looked like on the Teign Valley.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I believe this to be true, but still look forward to seeing some photos, to show what any of the diverted trains looked like on the Teign Valley.

Given that 100 years ago the photographers and their equipment usually only ventured out on sunny days (for good technical reasons) and that diversions would be most likely on days with very wild weather, you may need to invent a time machine!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Given that 100 years ago the photographers and their equipment usually only ventured out on sunny days (for good technical reasons) and that diversions would be most likely on days with very wild weather, you may need to invent a time machine!

image.png.575adc86438eff336bdc2335565110ed.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I believe there were quite a few ambulance trains run that way during WWII  with casualties going to Stover House, understandably they were probably not photographed,

cheers

On 02/10/2024 at 19:46, Pacific231G said:

Cholsey-Wallingford springs immediately to mind and the Wallingford Bunk was an autotrain in the 1930s. I dont think the branch had any through services onto the main line but I'd be happy to be wrong about that.

In the 1930s the last train of the day, the 9:45pm ex-Wallingford, ran through to Reading and returned to the terminus at 11:42pm.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I have seen a photo of the Cornish Riviera hauled by a mogul, but I can't remember where, but it was probably a book.

• Like 1