The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Charging to use a credir card

Tony Davis

SWMBO wanted a new kitchen table cloth so off we set for Peterborough, never a great move in the half-term holidays, but never mind.

We went to a market stall there that sells the lengths of vinyl type stuff and she made her choice, all well and good so far.

But, when she she held out a credit card to make payment the stall-holder waved towards a crayon written sign and told her that they charged 50p fir credit card oayments. She, being the financial genius in our marriage, put the card away and scraped together enough change to make the payment in cash.

Niw, I thought charges for any credit-card transactions were banned in January this year, or does this nit apply to smaller businesses?

I don't pay car tax as I drive an hybrid, which is exempt, so that one passed me by.

Maybe it was a voluntary thing, but last year, when I heard about it, it was assumed by some that the retailers involved would simply increase the cost of the item to incorporate any related charges for the service.

• RMweb Gold

Depends on whether it is a personal or company credit card. A fee is only charged on the latter.

Dave

When I paid mine a few days ago there appeared to be a charge for using a credit card and no means of distinguishing between personal and company cards.

Organisations/companies are still allowed to charge fees but only what it costs them, i.e. what the card company charges them for the facility.  They are no longer allowed to add anything above that.

When I paid mine a few days ago there appeared to be a charge for using a credit card and no means of distinguishing between personal and company cards.

Organisations/companies are still allowed to charge fees but only what it costs them, i.e. what the card company charges them for the facility.  They are no longer allowed to add anything above that.

But how are we to know how much they are being charged?

Depends on whether it is a personal or company credit card. A fee is only charged on the latter.

Dave

I thought the DLVA had stopped accepting credit cards for payment because they could not charge a fee?

Of course retailers can still charge a fee for using a credit card providing everyone else pays the fee as well.

Edited by meil

• RMweb Premium

Organisations/companies are still allowed to charge fees but only what it costs them, i.e. what the card company charges them for the facility. They are no longer allowed to add anything above that.

I paid on a credit card with no additional charge a couple of months ago. As above, corporate cards incurred a charge.

You cannot charge a premium for payment by credit or debit card now (or, for example, PayPal). You can charge admin or booking fees, but they must apply to all payment methods.

They cannot pass on whatever they pay for card transactions, which will be a proportion of each transaction on credit card transactions.

So yes, the trader above was acting illegally.

• RMweb Gold

I paid on a credit card with no additional charge a couple of months ago. As above, corporate cards incurred a charge.

You cannot charge a premium for payment by credit or debit card now (or, for example, PayPal). You can charge admin or booking fees, but they must apply to all payment methods.

They cannot pass on whatever they pay for card transactions, which will be a proportion of each transaction on credit card transactions.

So yes, the trader above was acting illegally.

Perhaps I misread it.  Unfortunately I can't double check now.

• RMweb Premium

The amusing thing is that they can charge a premium for using cash.

It’s a fallacy that it costs them more anyway - most shops with a decent turnover and transaction value (ie not market stalls) debit card is usually cheapest, then credit cards, then cash and then cheque.

Is the OP talking about a credit card, or a debit card? Just to clarify, are there any differences in their use with fees?

Stewart

It was a credit card, Stewart, but the vendor didn't know that, at the time, as SWMBO had just got the card out of the bag, she asked him if he took cards, then he waved his hand towards the sign and told her about the extra charge for using a card.

• RMweb Premium

You still get charged a credit card fee if you want to use one to pay for your car tax. 

I paid mine a few days ago Three weeks ago ( Personal Mastercard ) and there was no charge.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

He was a miserabe sod too, even more so when he got a load of very small change...

To be fair, paying for a tablecloth with a credit card would likely wipe any chance of any profit whatsoever by the time the retailer has paid all the related transaction fees.  I do know of some local stores where I live who have a minimum transaction value (usually between £2.50 - £5.00) before they will accept a payment via credit card, which in my opinion is fair enough. Retailers have to make a living.

• RMweb Gold

You still get charged a credit card fee if you want to use one to pay for your car tax. 

HMRC withdrew the facility for making credit card payments. DVLA are quite happy with them.  And so they should be, as they get double VED in the month a vehicle transfers to a new owner.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

• RMweb Gold

Part of the problem is that because people get free personal banking they presume there are no costs.  

A couple of friends changed their charges when the changes came about and increased prices to cover the costs of the transactions. The product they deal with was training and the CC companies levied 4% on a transaction on top of the 28 day wait for the monies. So they added the charge but discounted for cash as they used that to pay their suppliers.  

Only yesterday I stood behind a muppet trying to pay for a bag of crisps with a debit card, contactless didn't work so he had to input his pin and he took 2 goes, I can't imagine the trader made a penny from the transaction after the costs were taken out.

So it isn't allowed then? That's what I thought. He was a miserabe sod too, even more so when he got a load of very small change...

On the plus side, the table cloth was just the thing

Part of the problem is that because people get free personal banking they presume there are no costs.  

Only yesterday I stood behind a muppet trying to pay for a bag of crisps with a debit card, contactless didn't work so he had to input his pin and he took 2 goes, I can't imagine the trader made a penny from the transaction after the costs were taken out.

Precisely.  The larger stores and supermarkets can no doubt absorb the losses on small transactions, but that's certainly not the case for small retailers.  I'm not surprised he looked a "miserable sod", standing outside in the cold all day long selling tuppence tablecloths to people with credit cards.  I'd be p#@*ed off too.

Edited by YesTor