The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Banks - is it me or what?

spikey

I thought thre was supposed to be a switch guarantee that it happens in 7 days?

There is, but it's a guarantee to switch accounts.  Not 7 days to open a new one and then switch to that.

Edited by spikey
  • Like 1

If you can find a store that hasn't closed.

The only socks I have bought over the last 4 or 5 years have been Asda [George? Whoever she was?].....work-socks, with the reinforced heels...they are the only one's I have been unable to put a toe through!!!

Cheap enough at the time.  Same with smalls.

My general day-to-day clothing [as a pensioner....]....I get mostly from Site King, as work clothes [which I don't do any more].....their own brand for preference [rather than some Gucci brand on offer].....cheap enough cargo troos, cheap enough pooolooo shirts......all available in extra [4 xxxx's] sizes..the trousers are the only one's I've had that fit properly, with long enough legs, and don't keep falling down after 3 months.  I get oversized shirts, to allow room for manoeuver, but more so because I don't like tight stuff any more.....especially lycra!    The cargo pants have useful deep leg pockets......which means I can access my wallet or phone without having to take a deep breath first!   The only mod I do to them, once they arrive, is to remove the waistband button, and replace with a metal type used for jeans....I bought a kit from ebay China for a pound or so.....they last forever, unlike the buttons, whose centres seem to pull out.

Yet another thread drift on a banker's thread......

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Here’s the latest in “customer care” from a High Street Pseudobank.

Early last month I had a problem making an on-line payment using my credit card, the organisation also requiring my post code as a security check. Rang my bank to learn that the address on my credit card and current accounts had been changed around a month before.  Clearly it wasn’t me that had requested the change, so they logged a complaint and changed it back.

After a few weeks they came back to me that they had received a letter quoting my sort code and account number, with something that matched my signature at the bottom. So that gave them reason to change my address as advised in that letter.

Except the letter also asked for a new cheque book, cheque guarantee card and pin reminder (when my account shows regular cash withdrawals using the pin).  Apparently also signed off “yours truly” rather than a more formal close.  Suspicious?  Yes, so none of those requests were actioned (or so they tell me) - but why then go ahead with changing my address without at least getting in touch to verify with me?

Ah yes, after talking me through and promising to send me a copy of the letter (oops, forgot) their “customer care” person did send a letter explaining that they were acting according to my signed instructions.  Complaint not upheld.  No mention of anything suspicious in their letter.

The day after talking to that person, I had a “verified by Visa” pop up during another transaction: Enter the code sent to the mobile ending in xxxx.  Except it’s not my mobile.  So that was also changed weeks ago - thanks for not telling me it was also requested in the faker’s letter.

Quite worrying that it’s a pretty poorly disguised effort to get at my bank account, yet once again the bank has been duped or is complicit in the deceit.  Also quite worrying that it seems so easy to steal identity having got hold of account details and signature - such as maybe from filling in a direct debit instruction.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 16/07/2019 at 22:07, EddieB said:

Early last month I had a problem making an on-line payment using my credit card, the organisation also requiring my post code as a security check. Rang my bank to learn that the address on my credit card and current accounts had been changed around a month before.  Clearly it wasn’t me that had requested the change, so they logged a complaint and changed it back.

After a few weeks they came back to me that they had received a letter quoting my sort code and account number, with something that matched my signature at the bottom. So that gave them reason to change my address as advised in that letter.

Except the letter also asked for a new cheque book, cheque guarantee card and pin reminder (when my account shows regular cash withdrawals using the pin).  Apparently also signed off “yours truly” rather than a more formal close.  Suspicious?  Yes, so none of those requests were actioned (or so they tell me) - but why then go ahead with changing my address without at least getting in touch to verify with me?

Ah yes, after talking me through and promising to send me a copy of the letter (oops, forgot) their “customer care” person did send a letter explaining that they were acting according to my signed instructions.  Complaint not upheld.  No mention of anything suspicious in their letter.

The day after talking to that person, I had a “verified by Visa” pop up during another transaction: Enter the code sent to the mobile ending in xxxx.  Except it’s not my mobile.  So that was also changed weeks ago - thanks for not telling me it was also requested in the faker’s letter.

Quite worrying that it’s a pretty poorly disguised effort to get at my bank account, yet once again the bank has been duped or is complicit in the deceit.  Also quite worrying that it seems so easy to steal identity having got hold of account details and signature - such as maybe from filling in a direct debit instruction.

This sounds like a stolen identity attempt for sure.

I would be going to a physical branch (if possible), with as much information as you have, NOW. Advise them that you believe that you have been hacked or an attempt at identity theft. 

If a branch not available, call the bank call centre on a number found on a statement (before this occurred, or else their real website). Under no circumstances ring a number, appearing on recent correspondence - that will belong to the hackers!

Don't leave until they have suspended your account as a minimum.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 13:07, EddieB said:

I'd be clearing all my money out and dumping that bank with immediate effect - they really haven't a clue.

Also a letter to the banking ombudsman (copied to the Bank's Chairman and also Martin Lewis at Moneysaving Expert) would be a good idea.

As a minimum this Bank should be compensating you for their incompetence.

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've twice had someone try to change the details of a credit card,  once to a cafe in North London...  From what I could see it was an inside job as I don't have internet banking (and have specified so)  and the Halifax claimed it was done through the internet.. 

As for a bank, my biggest complaint is them closing.  The nearest town has lost two banks and two building societies,  . It's now a twenty mile round trip, to the nearest bank,  how long that will stay open I don't know,  when that goes it will be a 50mile round trip plus parking expenses.. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Lloyds are rubbish.

As a bank, they're "okay" but doing nearly anything requires an appointment in a local branch.

You can't just turn up.

Opening an account requires an appointment in branch.

Adding someone to an account to make it joint, means an appointment in branch.

When banks are still opening mon-fri 9-5, sat 9-1 and you work mon-sat 6-1, it's nigh on impossible to get to a branch.

In this day and age, it's increasingly old fashioned; especially when I can open nearly any other bank account online.

• Agree 2

We are always told never to give our bank details to anyone and yet try to buy something online without giving your bank number and security code. It was the same with cheques; you handed over a slip of paper with bank sort code and account number plus signature. The banks are keen to stress it not their fault if customers details fall into the wrong hands and yet the systems they use require those very details to be handed over.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Lloyds are rubbish.

As a bank, they're "okay" but doing nearly anything requires an appointment in a local branch.

You can't just turn up.

Funnily enough Halifax, who are part of Lloyds, are much better in some ways.

I did exactly the same transaction at each bank and Lloyds took a week and wanted  a hard copy of my identity and/or address. With Halifax it took a couple of minutes on line.

The £10k limited can be frustrating at times with Lloyds. as can them questioning any regular payments.

Paying a builder on a weekly basis sent them into a spin. I presume the automatic side of things as the person at the sharp end was very helpful and found a way round the stalemate.

On the plus side they have twice picked up a fraudulent use of a credit card before I was aware of any problem.

I suppose my card being used in LA. Kentucky and Hemel Hempstead in the space of an hour was a bit of a give away.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Lloyds are rubbish.

You can't just turn up.

When banks are still opening mon-fri 9-5, sat 9-1 and you work mon-sat 6-1, it's nigh on impossible to get to a branch.

In this day and age, it's increasingly old fashioned; especially when I can open nearly any other bank account online.

Thank your lucky stars you don't bank in France then.  Lloyds sound positively avant garde compared with most French banks, where some will require an appointment to pay in any sizable amount of cash and will give you the Spanish Inquisition into sources for the cash and what you intend to do with it!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Thank your lucky stars you don't bank in France then.  Lloyds sound positively avant garde compared with most French banks, where some will require an appointment to pay in any sizable amount of cash and will give you the Spanish Inquisition into sources for the cash and what you intend to do with it!

And weeks of notice to withdraw a large sum of cash in rural areas as well as the Spanish Inquisition.

• Friendly/supportive 2