BR Blue 1967-1980 video on Vimeo

What I hate about the BR Blue Era is that being born in '67, & only getting into trains/trainspotting in late '77, I missed so much of it!! :shout: :banghead: :mad:

Other than that, it was far more interesting than the current scene - but I suspect that in 1978 older enthusiasts said that about the Steam Era!!

Thanks for posting.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

i dont know much about old coaches but the one that caught my eye was the merchant navy footage at waterloo in the video, one appears to have a gresley teak? coach in the formation, is that unusual for the southern?

I hadn't realised that there was so many double headed Warship workings.on the WR.  Was that commonplace or did these locos have reliability issues? And were they wired for multiple operation or did they each need a driver?

Lots of other facinating stuff on this video - I've watched it twice now, both times with finger on the pause key to study detail!

Edited by cravensdmufan

• RMweb Gold

Dont forget that with photos and filming it was often the exotic that was recorded and the mundane ignored.

Hence the appearance of double headers may be disproportional to their actual occurrence

Cheers

Phil

I hadn't realised that there was so many double headed Warship workings.on the WR.  Was that commonplace or did these locos have reliability issues? And were they wired for multiple operation or did they each need a driver?

Lots of other facinating stuff on this video - I've watched it twice now, both times with finger on the pause key to study detail!

There were trains that were diagrammed for double headed warships, and they were wired for multiple operation for these trains. Think it only happened for a couple of years or so towards the end of the sixties, but during that time were a regular occurrence. 

Edited by Titan

• RMweb Gold

Ive seen the video many times now, and it's just all so nostalgic. That was a very important part of BR history - the rail blue years. Well it's gone, along with Radio Caroline and those disc jockeys. So thank  goodness for this video, and others, which enables us to relive those heady rail blue days. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Where is the location about 46 mins in?

It's Old Oak Common filmed from the shed side of the line and showing the original 1962 OO panel box which was superceded in 1967 by one of the "classic" WR 1960s style panel boxes as part of the Paddington remodelling.

• Like 1