Replacing Bachmann Jubilee Split Chassis With DCC Ready Chassis

post-11593-0-60756900-1539784748_thumb.jpgpost-11593-0-96634200-1539784792_thumb.jpg

I have a Bachmann split chassis Silver Jubilee with the 'Not allowed south of Crewe' diagonal stripe and the correct stainless steel numbers on the cab side.  This was a Silver Anniversary present from my wife so has great sentimental value.  Last year it developed the 'Split Chassis Wobble Disease'.  I thought that the easiest thing to do was to buy a new DCC ready chassis and just fit the existing Bachmann body onto the new chassis. 

Bachmann don't sell separate chassis so I bought a brand new one from e-bay.  Over the years I have replaced Mainline/Bachmann bodies onto new Bachmann chassis with no problems.  Just two screws.  How simple is that?  Wrong!  The new chassis securing points are at different centres to the old split chassis so lots of modelling expertise and accurate measuring required.  Not a job for the faint hearted!  I don't know if other Bachmann locos have different sized DCC ready chassis compared to the original Mainline/Bachmann split chassis.

If anyone is interested how I did it, I have included complete details on the attachment below.

Peter

Fitting a Jubilee DCC Ready Chassis.docx

I did a swap on an older Bachmann LT Pannier tank, and found the same  thing as the OP, in that the mounting points were differently spaced. While it was not a difficult job to cut and grind away the incorrect spigots, it would have been nicer if it had been a straight swap job. The split chassis was not a bad runner, although it did wobble a bit, but the newer chassis is another step or two up in running qualities.

Where the body mouldings have 'carried over' externally unchanged from the split chassis version it is at most small modifications to secure the new mechanism, which is handy for those that have 'worked on' old bodies portraying a particular class member.

I may well be wrong, but AFAIK only the class 03 and Jube got 'all new' body toolings when the mechanism upgrades occurred, and only the V2 and J72 are listed for completely new bodies when they reappear in the range.

In some ways its a great shame Bachmann abandoned split axle pick up. Its a PITA for driving wheels but makes bogie and pony truck pick up a doddle and the wheels actually still go round unlike some wiper systems..

This Chinese non standardisation of body fixings and everything else under the sun is why I stick resolutely to X04s, Romford wheels and the like.

In some ways its a great shame Bachmann abandoned split axle pick up. Its a PITA for driving wheels but makes bogie and pony truck pick up a doddle and the wheels actually still go round unlike some wiper systems...

Actually Bachmann haven't abandoned split axle pick up. The more recent MU's and their coaches equipped with or set up for interior lighting use this principle very successfully (unadvertised).

What is a shame is that they haven't employed it on carrying and tender wheels on steam locos for 'no incremental drag' current collection. The old carrying and tender wheels from split chassis steamers can often be transplanted to newer models needing more pick up, some of mine 'live on' in that way. 

I think it is fair to say that there probably (unfortunately) isn't a way of using the split axle principle on rod coupled driving wheels with mechanical integrity matching solid steel axle force fitted wheelsets, at an acceptable price for RTR OO. (The design is no mystery, machine turned finish nickel silver cast wheels with the necessary internal hub boss conventionally force fitted on plastic insulators on a steel axle will make a good wheelset. Matching machined bearings running on the wheel bosses captive within plastic 'keeper plate' style mouldings screw attached to the underside of a cast block, job done.)

Hi all,

The Mainline/Bachmann STD 4-6-0 underwent 3 different chassis changes. The first change was when Bachmann first re-released the engine. They changed the diameter of the main axels by 1mm. This allowed the usage of square pegs for attaching the main wheels instead of the pin fitting of Mainline. So you did not get the dreaded spinning wheels on the axel syndrome. Later the again increased the axel size again by another 1mm. All these chassis still fitted the same body shell. The newer model though has a completely different chassis that does not just swap out. A real shame as I have 4 engines in need of new chassis. But I am glad to hear that Bachmann have  reserve spares of the plastic inners as that is all that's wrong with the engines....the wobbly wheel syndrome.

Try here

Hi thanks for the info,

But my problem is not with the axel sets but warped wheels. The axel sets you have shown me are only for the last split chassis version which had the largest width axel. If I remember correctly you can tell which one has the widest axel by looking underneath the chassis. If it says made in Hong Kong then it is the earlier version.

Edited by cypherman

I was aware Peter Spares sell them but my experience buying spare parts elsewhere / direct from the manufacturer is usually ££ cheaper

Peters Spares is usually pretty good but an email to Bachmann's service dept might be worth a try.