SomeCumbria Industrial Layouts

Did you build these, Ian? If you did I'm keen to know how you made the egg-ended boiler on the water tower. It's something I want to build myself.

Do you smoke cigars?  I used two cigar tubes covered in thin paper and I embossed thin paper strips for the rivet detail, I suppose now I could use Archers products. Hope that is useful

Ian

Very nice. Can you tell us about them?

Thanks for the interest;

Post 1 is 'Parton Hurries a port on the West Coast of Cumbria with two coal loading hurries. Most of the buildings were based on Whitehaven, including Pattinson's Mill, Bransty Arch etc. The scenic section was 9' x 3', but unfortunately it was also 3' high, which made moving it a real pain even though it broke down into two pieces. I built it in the late 90's but it really became an albatross around my neck and I was quite glad to sell it on, I don't expect it still exists. (In a BRM 2000 Special)

Post 2 is Solway Sands, I envisaged a roadside tramway from Maryport to Allonby which I called Solway Sands, it was 5' x 1'6''  with a train turntable at one end, It was fun to operate and I showed it a number of times, before selling it in 2010. (in a 2007 RM)

Post 3 Kelton Mine, it was build to hide the fiddle yard on my main layout Kelton Fell and represented an iron ore loading dock and a water powered spade forge, It was my first go at 'serious modelling' even though essentially it was only a 6' x 1' run round loop of all my layouts it remains my favourite. I exhibited it in 1992 at Newcastle next to Chris Pendleton's North Shields, so I got the overflow looking at mine! I scrapped it in the mid 90's and regretted it ever since. (In a 1993 BRM)

Post 4 is Mawbray block yard, built as a second module to go with Solway Sands, it was a model of sea defence works with various goliath cranes and concrete producing plant. I sold it along with Solway Sands, it may still exist somewhere.

Other industrials not shown here were Arlecdon Parks an Iron Ore mine and Marsh & Quay a Workington based model. Port Forbes a Scottish Harbour is on RM web some place

Hope that is useful

Ian B

Edited by ianblenk
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Do you smoke cigars?  I used two cigar tubes covered in thin paper and I embossed thin paper strips for the rivet detail, I suppose now I could use Archers products. Hope that is useful

Ian

Thanks, Ian. I don't smoke at all. I think the tube bit wouldn't be that difficult to make from something else but it's the making of the ends in particular that interests me.

post-6265-0-81763800-1539801997_thumb.jpg

I hope this makes it a bit clearer join two end to end. Sorry about the quality of the photo.

Ian

Thanks, Ian. I don't smoke at all. I think the tube bit wouldn't be that difficult to make from something else but it's the making of the ends in particular that interests me.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_2004.JPG

I hope this makes it a bit clearer join two end to end. Sorry about the quality of the photo.

Ian

Ah, I see now! The tube has domed ends already on it. I don't think I'll take up smoking just to get a couple of cigar tubes though. :drag:

• RMweb Gold

Ah, I see now! The tube has domed ends already on it. I don't think I'll take up smoking just to get a couple of cigar tubes though. :drag:

I can save your lungs!  Domed tube ends are available in Plastruct range.  EMA are the UK suppliers.

http://www.ema-models.co.uk/index.php/abs-tubes-fittings.html

Mark

• RMweb Gold

You can buy the tubes on their own though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17x2cm-Stainless-Steel-Cigar-Tube-Storage-Case-Tobacco-Cigarettes-Holder/173409294846?epid=876699209&hash=item285fffd9fe:g:Cv0AAOSwLWBbSMzB:rk:9:pf:0