Albannach

Some very 'top notch' modelling going on here regards the harbour. its looking good.

Thanks for the comments Russ, much appreciated.

I regularly find it amazing how much of RMweb I have never seen, including your two layouts, which I have now rectified.

I had to smile at your comment "by the time everything is out ready to work on, it's time to go to bed" I know exactly what you mean, this nonsense of having to go to work every day (plus overtime at the moment) really messes up my modelling time, must make an effort to pick some better numbers this week (one would be an improvement !!)

You seem to have a knack with locations that are, in use but are well on their way back to nature, which is exactly what I want to try and achieve, the picture of the flowering undergrowth on Deadwater Burn is spot on, so I will be keeping an eye on your progress.

• RMweb Gold
I had to smile at your comment "by the time everything is out ready to work on, it's time to go to bed" I know exactly what you mean, this nonsense of having to go to work every day (plus overtime at the moment) really messes up my modelling time, must make an effort to pick some better numbers this week (one would be an improvement !!)

You seem to have a knack with locations that are, in use but are well on their way back to nature, which is exactly what I want to try and achieve, the picture of the flowering undergrowth on Deadwater Burn is spot on, so I will be keeping an eye on your progress.

Thanks :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , but The reverting to nature look is something I like in prototype and model, I spend most of my 'prototype interest time' looking at old disused locations than the modern railway, which is not something that appeals to me particularly. All my present layouts are either in new hands, (Deadwater can still be found on here 'in good hands') or on the skip, as had a big move from West yorks to the West Coast of Scotland, so a clean slate-in more ways than one!

Fairly slow progress at the moment, mainly as as all the current projects are being worked on "an hour at a time" so I seem to go for long periods of time with no major visual or obvious changes to the layout.

It's now been separated into the three individual boards, as I need to turn them round to work on the road at the rear and make up the framework for the backscene.

While it is in that state I will also do most of the scenic work that would require stretching over the layout (old man, bad back !!)

post-7165-127649773309.jpg

Have now used up all my 3ft x 2ft paving slabs so will need to cut some more.

I would normally lay all the slabs before painting and grouting but the edging was painted to make sure there was no visible join between horizontal and vertical.

The fencing is Slaters and the colour is as recommended for faded paint by those who know considerably more that me about such things, I still think it looks too dark (in real life as well as the photograph) so it will be toned down a bit as well as weathered.

post-7165-127649880967.jpg

Have also used up all prepared 4" setts so production will have to start again on them as well as slabs.

As I have a much larger area to cover around the goods yard, I think I will either have to change the surface or better still, make up a punch.

post-7165-12765018315.jpg

The "sleepered area" of the platform extension is now done so next is the gravel topping for the rest of the platform.

The idea was that light parcels could be transferred directly to road vehicles from the extension platform, and to save cart wheels (I remember coal and rag & bone carts in Glasgow being in use well into the 60s) sinking in to the gravel, a harder surface was used.

post-7165-127650283257.jpg

The detailing of the coal drops is progressing, Woodland Scenics "coal" has been used to bulk out the area and get the basic shape, the real stuff will now be used on top and will show different grades in each stall.

The little scales were made up from a Duncan Models kit (very high quality white metal castings) and await painting.

post-7165-127650306012.jpg

It doesn't show up that well, but I have spend many hours cleaning excess (a lot !!) ballast from under the rails, which has improved the appearance of the track quite a bit, so I can now make a start on weathering the track and bedding it all into the landscape.

This is a lot more fun, deciding on areas where locos and stock are stationary for extended periods etc, and the results are instant.

post-7165-127650342399.jpg

The little "knee mounted" work area where the boring slabs and setts are cut out and trimmed, it was in the conservatory at the time of the picture but it moves around and also gets used in the garden if there is no wind.

The "chopper" is without doubt one of the best tools I have ever purchased, extremely useful, and time saving for repetitive cutting of hundreds of equal pieces.

The little tub has the setts in it but I got bored with them, so a start was made on some more slabs.

regards

Stewart

• Like 3

Superb stonework and the harbour wall really looks the part, especially the rust stains around the ladder fixings.

Thank you.

As an engineering apprentice in the 60s I used to have a few "weekend jobs" to boost the income, an occasional one was in Gourock, and I often did the early morning Sunday newspaper delivery round trip to Rothesay with "the lads" just for something to do (as you did when that age) and the rusty ladders with stains on the quayside have always stuck in my mind (and at the time, my hands, perhaps that's why I remember it).

regards

Stewart

Platform surfaces now added, will leave the Polyfilla (the stuff that smells like cellulose) grouting to go hard for a few days before weathering and finishing.

Presumably the "glossy" appearance has come from continually cleaning the surface with a wet sponge after grouting, as nothing but well stirred matt paints were used, but that will be given a coat of matt varnish when finished.

The extension platform will be "smoothed off" a bit more with sieved barbeque ash (wonderful scenic material) as the finest ballast available is still a bit rough under foot.

Unpainted figure just included for scale.

post-7165-127710412048.jpg

post-7165-127710427793.jpg

regards

Stewart

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

For various reasons (none of them modelling related) progress is currently painfully slow.

Work started on weathering and aging the track, the station fence has been toned down and faded a bit although it may need to be a little dirtier, but I will wait until I have the platform furniture built and fitted before making that decision.

The platform surface has had a coat of grime but still needs a lot more.

Signal box now ready for external cladding (all wood box, based on GNSR Mintlaw Box) but rather than cut them out individually from a sheet of plasticard I think I will treat myself to a pack of Evergreen precut strips of a suitable size.

Water tower base now awaiting a final touch up to the stonework colouring before weathering then the addition of a door and a window.

The tank has yet to be built (the bit sitting on top is "the water" and the tank will be built around this)

It is based on numerous similar end of platform installations around the GNSR and the platform starter signal will be seriously tall.

Framework for the backdrop (probably just blue cloth for now) has also been added.

post-7165-12813352953.jpg

post-7165-128133523988.jpg

post-7165-128133516587.jpg

regards

Stewart

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Stewart - Nice progress - I particularly like shots 1 + 2. I think the backscene will make a lot of difference too.

I recall seeing that you were interested to have a class 26 - will you be portraying BR Blue or Green era from your diesels?

Stewart - Nice progress - I particularly like shots 1 + 2. I think the backscene will make a lot of difference too.

I recall seeing that you were interested to have a class 26 - will you be portraying BR Blue or Green era from your diesels?

Thank you for the comments.

I tested a plain blue cloth for the backscene but it does not work for me so I am currently doing some research on what is available from the pre printed suppliers with ID being favourite at the moment.

A class 26 would be very nice but I will have to save up for quite a while yet and it would be in green as I am still firmly a "kettle" man because that is what I remember.

Progress has been minimal recently due to daily life getting in the way, but a good dose of Guildex at Telford this weekend will provide all the necessary inspiration to get on with it, aided by ever shortening light nights.

regards

Stewart

I don't know how I missed this - it's now one of my favourite layouts!

Technique for Trees?

My eyesight says 7mm, my accountant says 4mm..................

Best, Pete.

Many thanks for the kind remarks.

Spot on with the comments re eyes and accountant, exactly my position and with Guildex this weekend will put considerable pressure on the latter.

The tree (there is only the one !!) is a few lengths of stranded 25mm sq.(house meter tails) stripped electrical cable roughly twisted, wired and soldered into shape (I used a picture of a suitable Scots Pine as a guide)

Bark is hot glue layered on rough (barring one painfull loss of skin, I became quite adept at rolling it off my fingers before it burned) till I thought the shape looked ok.

Minor filling and shaping with instant Polyfilla (the stuff in a tube that smells like cellulose)

Painted with various grey and brown Humbrol enamels mixed with talc (Tesco's cheapest) for a bit of texture till it looked reasonable but following a few National Trust walks I'm not too sure, .

Foliage is Woodland Scenics but it has only had the base application (far too green at the moment) the more delicate "foliage" top layer has yet to be added.

I will try and add a couple of close up photos of the tree over the weekend.

regards

Stewart

Many thanks for the kind remarks.

Spot on with the comments re eyes and accountant, exactly my position and with Guildex this weekend will put considerable pressure on the latter.

The tree (there is only the one !!) is a few lengths of stranded 25mm sq.(house meter tails) stripped electrical cable roughly twisted, wired and soldered into shape (I used a picture of a suitable Scots Pine as a guide)

Bark is hot glue layered on rough (barring one painfull loss of skin, I became quite adept at rolling it off my fingers before it burned) till I thought the shape looked ok.

Minor filling and shaping with instant Polyfilla (the stuff in a tube that smells like cellulose)

Painted with various grey and brown Humbrol enamels mixed with talc (Tesco's cheapest) for a bit of texture till it looked reasonable but following a few National Trust walks I'm not too sure, .

Foliage is Woodland Scenics but it has only had the base application (far too green at the moment) the more delicate "foliage" top layer has yet to be added.

I will try and add a couple of close up photos of the tree over the weekend.

regards

Stewart

For some reason my PC at work keeps me in the "text" version of RMweb which will not allow me to post photos (I have deleted all internet history, cookies etc so I guess Internet Explorer is well out of date) so I will add the close ups tonight from home (as I should be doing anyway !!)

regards

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

so I guess Internet Explorer is well out of date

Stewart - Try Safari instead of IE - I tend to use it more these days on PC and Mac and I find that RMWeb responds to it better too.

Look forward to see some more images - Pete

Computer glitch now sorted (entirely my fault) so a couple of close ups of the tree as promised for trisonic.

post-7165-128384617342.jpg

post-7165-128384621272.jpg

The finishing "layer" of foliage has yet to be added to tone down the green a bit and give a better representation of individual leaves.

A bit more progress has been made on the lineside structures, so I will post a few more photos later in the week.

regards

Stewart

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Stewart - Try Safari instead of IE - I tend to use it more these days on PC and Mac and I find that RMWeb responds to it better too.

I just took that advice myself, and have downloaded Safari this morning, and indeed it seems to do what it says on the tin - none of the problems that you get with IE7 or IE8, I'm using them for now for some other sites, but have also started to use Safari for viewing and posting on here.

Nice work on the layout also, of course.

The Other Stewart

One of the most frustrating things I find with solo railway modelling (apart from lack of time) is while I am working on one item, the progress of everything else stops !!

Still, between bouts of work and family life enough progress has been made to add another couple of photos.

The signal box has now been clad and awaits internal detailing and roof trusses before I add the windows.

Based on a photograph of GNSR Mintlaw box.

I was very grateful to have made up a jig for the spacing of the planks and the North West Shortlines Chopper showed its worth once again with its ability to cut lots of identical lengths with square ends.

post-7165-088807600 1284359830_thumb.jpg post-7165-067700900 1284359882_thumb.jpg

The water tank is also making progress and is now one unit.

Door and window yet to be secured and tank access ladder is currently being constructed (two Duncan models ladders and whitemetal & brass from the bits box)

The wood cladding has been added to the tank top to check fit and has yet to be stained and secured.

The exit elbow looks to be a bit high but I rekon the valve would have been flanged and according to the tables (work sometimes comes in useful) it would have to be that far of the bottom to fit, and other than a drain, it's not good to have a take of too close to the bottom of a tank due to silt.

Valve operating mechanism yet to be built and added.

post-7165-098866200 1284360670_thumb.jpg

Quayside paving now complete and had a first wash of daily grime.

In the background is a sheet of Wills 00 cobbles which come out at a reasonable size for 7mm so I will experiment with cutting and fitting to see if I can speed up the process before starting on the yard area (every little bit helps as they say)

post-7165-040618300 1284360836_thumb.jpg

Coal yard paving also complete.

The area now awaits detailing.

post-7165-038415600 1284361117_thumb.jpg

At last the station has a name.

Running in board made up from brass tube, plastikard and white metal fittings, now finished although still in primer.

Plugged in but not yet secured and bedded in.

Strangly, such a little detail has made a huge difference to the look of the layout.

post-7165-042702600 1284361399_thumb.jpg

Inspired by the addition of the running in board, the need to play trains became overpowering.

Standard class 4 tank uncoupled and about to run round coal and diesel (for the boats) goods train before shunting the wagons.

post-7165-071621800 1284361744_thumb.jpg

I really need to spend less time fiddling around with the layout and get the motive power fleet finished, painted, lined (as appropriate) and weathered.

Personally, I find it difficult to spend the "odd hour" on a loco kit as most tasks take me longer than that.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

regards

Stewart

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Yes the layout's certainly progressing, despite your comments about only moving slowly - it's looking very good indeed. Thanks for the updates.

The other Stewart

(I've been asked to make sure that people can tell the difference between Stewart 45156 and Stewart 45157)

The other Stewart

(I've been asked to make sure that people can tell the difference between Stewart 45156 and Stewart 45157)

It's a small world really.

I actually met and cabbed 45157 on shed at Polmadie, but not 45156, is that enough?

There is even another Stewart Ingram on the forum which I find quite spooky, not that there is someone else with the same name but that he is also a railway modeller and belongs to the same forum !!! (making the Twilight Zone noise)

regards

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

The other Stewart

The other Stewart

I find the Avatar images really useful for identifying people on the forum - why not consider one?

Pete (One of the many :lol:)

Stewart - Really nice work on the buildings and the treatment of the quayside is spot on.

• RMweb Premium

It's a small world really.

I actually met and cabbed 45157 on shed at Polmadie,

I cabbed 45157 when it was at Ayr once, but oddly even though I use 45156 as my web name, I only ever saw that loco once, as it was sent South (or at least South for me - Manchester) in about 1957. I chose 45156 as a pen name when I was writing a few railway related articles in the 1970s as it reflected the county of my birth, Ayrshire, and my all time favourite loco - the hiker - as I had my longest ever footplate trip on one (Dalry Road to Princes Street thence to Perth and back) there was never any danger that another class of loco would ever fnd its way to the top of my affections. I have kept it as an alter ego ever since.

Pete - I'll think about an avatar - TBH it's not been foremost in my mind so far, but while I'm off sick, I'll see what I can find.

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Stewart,

Agree with all the plaudits above - you were too modest when posting your kind comments on Kilbrannan Ferry, you are well ahead of me! Particularly love the overgrown coal siding. Can almost smell the coal dust, and the colour and texture of the boggy, reedy ground next to it is just right. Your quay, though, is particularly inspirational, although I will have to make sure I don't just try and copy it when I get to that stage on Kilbrannan Ferry - can't have a ferry without a jetty!

Like you, Stewart, I will avoid the temptation to clutter it up with a crane. Like Portchullin T, my researches are that Highland harbours tended to rely on the boats' derricks for unloading - that usually included fishing boats as well as cargo coasters etc (I would love the idea of a Puffer, but would prefer a couple of Scots fishing boats. Ben Alder has some lovely ones on his rendition of Kyle but I don't think they are available any more...)

ATB

Gus

Computer glitch now sorted (entirely my fault) so a couple of close ups of the tree as promised for trisonic.

post-7165-128384617342.jpg

post-7165-128384621272.jpg

The finishing "layer" of foliage has yet to be added to tone down the green a bit and give a better representation of individual leaves.

A bit more progress has been made on the lineside structures, so I will post a few more photos later in the week.

regards

Stewart

Thanks, Stewart. It's definitely recognizable as a Scots Pine! I like it a lot, well done.

Best, Pete.