Hello,

Ive recently become interested in modelling French railways probably in the late 1950's-early 1960's

I've picked up quite cheaply an old Jouef model of the 140C 2-8-0 and of course it comes with the pizza cutter wheels of the time.

I am looking for any pointers or advice for replacing these wheels with something more scalelike.

I'd like to avoid using code 100 track and was hoping to achieve running on code 75

Thanks in advance

Chris G

... an old Jouef model of the 140C 2-8-0 and of course it comes with the pizza cutter wheels of the time.

I am looking for any pointers or advice for replacing these wheels with something more scalelike....

How about these?

Apogee Vapeur produce wheels for a great many French locomotive types, but at a price, obviously..... You can have RP25-88 or Proto87 profile.

• RMweb Premium

How about these?

Apogee Vapeur produce wheels for a great many French locomotive types, but at a price, obviously..... You can have RP25-88 or Proto87 profile.

Crumbs, they must cost more than Chris's Jouef loco did!

Yes, but he did say "finescale", and these are pretty much what the engine should have.

I've had my eye on a complete P87 set for a 141R for a while now and PayPal does make things easier.....  :O

• RMweb Gold

They do look good. I don't think that we have ever had a UK producer of wheels that did complete sets including all the balance weights.

But if OP willing to do a bit more work for himself on that front, maybe worth looking at the little-known ScaleLink range. This actually started as a commission for a French HO manufacturer.

They do look good. I don't think that we have ever had a UK producer of wheels that did complete sets including all the balance weights.

But if OP willing to do a bit more work for himself on that front, maybe worth looking at the little-known ScaleLink range. This actually started as a commission for a French HO manufacturer.

About 4x as much. though they do look nice

Having had a little time this afternoon I came across the Scale Link range so thats a possiblity

I had originally wondered about the possibilty of Romford wheels

• RMweb Gold

Having had a little time this afternoon I came across the Scale Link range so thats a possiblity

I had originally wondered about the possibilty of Romford wheels

The difficulty with Romford's is that they are designed for 1:76 scale, so the number of spokes tends to be wrong for 1:87 at any given diameter. The OO wheel is effectively of a smaller prototype than the HO wheel.

That, as well as delays from Romford, was what led LSL to ask Bob Wyatt to see if he could source some more suitable wheels for them in the UK.

The ScaleLink wheels use Romford-type axles with the square ends. So easy to put together and no issues with quartering.

Edit to add: Way back, when I was still retailing in France, I did consider producing replacement chassis for Jouef steam models. Could still be a viable project. If you want to renumber your 140C, I still have a supply of etched plates.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

I have one of those ghastly monsters too... probably easier to shell out for the Lilliput version, it's a beauty.  Comes in many different flavours too

attachicon.gif37373bf0075e730b60bb78669d649a1e.jpg

I think I'll be looking at the Scalelink option by the sounds of it.

The tender wheels have been swapped with some wheels i had to hand and looks ok

I am in no way a pedant and if the number of spokes is out, I can live with it for this model. once the wheels are rotating they are more difficult to count

The Lilliput model is v nice as you say , but with the dark nights coming its nice to have a challenge

Chris

The difficulty with Romford's is that they are designed for 1:76 scale, so the number of spokes tends to be wrong for 1:87 at any given diameter. The OO wheel is effectively of a smaller prototype than the HO wheel.

That, as well as delays from Romford, was what led LSL to ask Bob Wyatt to see if he could source some more suitable wheels for them in the UK.

The ScaleLink wheels use Romford-type axles with the square ends. So easy to put together and no issues with quartering.

Edit to add: Way back, when I was still retailing in France, I did consider producing replacement chassis for Jouef steam models. Could still be a viable project. If you want to renumber your 140C, I still have a supply of etched plates.

Just had a look at LSL's website. Interesting, if somewhat messy.