Midland class 2F survivors in BR era with Johnson cabs

Covkid

Seeking help with Midland class 2Fs in BR days but with original Johnson cabs please.

I understand there were 4'11" and 5'3" wheeled versions of the classes which became generic 2Fs, so first question is - did all belpaire firebox conversions receive the new Deeley cab ?

From photos I have found that 58231 survived to at least 1952 with the original Johnson cab. Was that the last surviving Johnson cabbed 2F ?

Basically have Johnson and Deeley cabbed 2F bodies and want to complete the latter as a 1960 West Midlands survivor, but wondered which the latest Johnson cabbed survivors were, if later than 58231.

Thanks in advance for any info.  

I understand there were 4'11" and 5'3" wheeled versions of the classes which became generic 2Fs, so first question is - did all belpaire firebox conversions receive the new Deeley cab ?

I've answered your second question first, so I'll now answer your first question.

No!

Some of the reboilered engines retained their Johnson cab and some had their cab modified. For chapter and verse, you need to trawl through Summerson's 'Midland Railway Locomotives' Volume 4. ISBN 1-903266-55-6.

58246 was the last in traffic with a round-top firebox and Johnson cab. It was withdrawn in Period 6 of 1959. The cab was still at the loco works two or three years later. I think that was where I 'saved' the brass power class '2' from.

Withdrawn from Coalville I believe, having been transferred there from Derby some months earlier. Coalville was a late stronghold for 2Fs, a handful being retained for the Leicester West Bridge branch duties until about the beginning of 1964. Without wading through a load of West Bridge pics, I think most of Coalville's late survivors were Deeley-cab variants though, and a bit off-target geographically for the West Midlands location Covkid is looking for

Withdrawn from Coalville I believe, having been transferred there from Derby some months earlier. Coalville was a late stronghold for 2Fs, a handful being retained for the Leicester West Bridge branch duties until about the beginning of 1964. Without wading through a load of West Bridge pics, I think most of Coalville's late survivors were Deeley-cab variants though, and a bit off-target geographically for the West Midlands location Covkid is looking for

The last three 2Fs were indeed at Coalville for working to West Bridge. All three had Belpaire fireboxes and Deeley cabs. 58246 spent most of the 1950s at Derby with only a few months at Coalville in 1954 and again in 1958/9.