Class 165 Hydrive for Chiltern

Hi,

Just saw this on bucks free press, but a better article is here:

https://www.ft.com/content/4f7d9fd8-ba98-11e8-8274-55b72926558f

From a quick read, it seems it is another bi-mode, but with a different operational concept, in that the batteries were to be used only to reduce fuel consumption and to reduce noise and fumes on approach to stations and when in depots.

Simon

Excuse my ignorance, but I would assume that the size of battery needed to power these units for any reasonable distance will result in a considerable increase in the weight of the train, which will in turn increase the emissions as the diesel engine (when used) will need to work harder to move the train, especially up gradients.

Jim

Excuse my ignorance, but I would assume that the size of battery needed to power these units for any reasonable distance will result in a considerable increase in the weight of the train, which will in turn increase the emissions as the diesel engine (when used) will need to work harder to move the train, especially up gradients.

Jim

I can't access that link but if it's as described above it's a similar concept to a hybrid car.  As a back-of-envelope estimate, accelerating a 40 tonne coach to 10 metres per second (about 20mph) would require 2MJ of energy or about 555 amp-hours.  That's about 14 car batteries, and although you'd need a bit more to cover energy losses a higher-tech battery would probably be more compact and lighter for the same amount of storage.  So unlikely to need a radical re-design to fit it in or to make that much difference to the weight. 

Edited by Edwin_m

I can't access that link but if it's as described above it's a similar concept to a hybrid car. As a back-of-envelope estimate, accelerating a 40 tonne coach to 10 metres per second (about 20mph) would require 2MJ of energy or about 555 amp-hours. That's about 14 car batteries, and although you'd need a bit more to cover energy losses a higher-tech battery would probably be more compact and lighter for the same amount of storage. So unlikely to need a radical re-design to fit it in or to make that much difference to the weight.

I'd have thought big changes to the transmission though, as I'd presume they will have to change from hydraulic to electric to allow an electrical boost?

• RMweb Premium

Unless the motor is fitted to the output shift? Something akin to KERS in F1, the cars are still driven through the gearbox from the engine, but with motorised assistance, rather than an electric motor in the wheel

Jo