Using Lenz and Zimo Decoders Together

Right Away

• RMweb Gold

I am proposing to try a Zimo decoder in one of my Bachmann steam locomotives by reason of space and motor control. My system is a Lenz 100 and all current decoders are Lenz.

My questions are:

1. How compatible are Zimo decoders with the Lenz controller as regards programming input/output?

2. Can satisfactory double heading be achieved when one loco has a Lenz decoder and the other a Zimo?

Thanks in advance for any guidance and perhaps any other issues I would need to be awre of.

There should not be any problem using both together as I do but with a gaugemaster, roco Z21 & a Hornby Elink never had any problem with CV’s or consisting, and I have used TCS, Hornby & Bachmann with only minor problems having to change some CV’s to get smoother running generally CV 50 for motor’s of various types.

Regards mike

• RMweb Premium

I am proposing to try a Zimo decoder in one of my Bachmann steam locomotives by reason of space and motor control. My system is a Lenz 100 and all current decoders are Lenz.

My questions are:

1. How compatible are Zimo decoders with the Lenz controller as regards programming input/output?

2. Can satisfactory double heading be achieved when one loco has a Lenz decoder and the other a Zimo?

Thanks in advance for any guidance and perhaps any other issues I would need to be awre of.

If a decoder is NMRA compliant, it should work with a NMRA compliant controller.

So you can use Lenz, Zimo, ESU, DCC Concepts, some Hornby, Bachmann, TCS, etc, etc, etc decoders with your Lenz controller.

You should be able to speed match the performance of the two decoders/locos with CV changes - basic changes are CV2-6, all explained in the relevant decoder manual.

There are speed tables that can alter the characteristics across the whole speed range, using a higher range of CVs, but I've never yet had to resort to these to match my locos - mostly UK outline 00 diesels.

Have a play - at worst case, you can reset the loco to default settings by using CV8=8 for most decoders (again, check the manual).

Cheers,

Mick

My questions are:

They will work correctly. As will just about any decoder combinations. What makes you think they might not work ?

Yes. You may have to set up appropriate speed curves for each loco, and reduce the back-EMF influence to stop the locos surging against each other (matters covered in the Zimo decoder manual). But that's no difference to using two identical decoders from the same maker - the variations in the manufacture of model trains is such that identical settings in each decoder probably don't match track behaviour.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you everyone.

Been with Lenz for years and am very pleased indeed with their equipment. My reason for a change in this instance is solely because I would like to refit the cast metal weight in the particular locomotive and to do so would require a very small decoder. I'm hoping for something smaller than the Silver Mini. The engine is a BR4 Mogul.

• RMweb Gold

That's great news, 34C.

I shall be looking at the Zimo range shortly for a decoder which will fit the loco in order to replace the weight yet able to sustain the maximum current draw.

The engine appears to draw around 0.3A with 4 ex-LMS coaches and a Mk1 in tow. She handles this load OK on a 45" radius curve despite flange drag but tends to lose her feet with 5 Bachmann Mk1s; hence the preference to increase adhesive weight and ensuring stronger electrical contact at the tyre.

Thank you everyone.

Been with Lenz for years and am very pleased indeed with their equipment. My reason for a change in this instance is solely because I would like to refit the cast metal weight in the particular locomotive and to do so would require a very small decoder. I'm hoping for something smaller than the Silver Mini. The engine is a BR4 Mogul.

If you want a really tiny decoder, you could try looking at CT Elektronik's decoders. They still pack a good punch for current so should be fine for the loco in question, and as with all the other comments here, will work perfectly well with your Lenz system.

Usual disclaimer: I have no connection with CT Elektronik or their agents, just a satisfied user of their products. I also use about a dozen other brands of decoder, all NMRA compliant, including Lenz and Zimo, with no problems with my NCE control systems.

If you want a really tiny decoder, you could try looking at CT Elektronik's decoders. They still pack a good punch for current so should be fine for the loco in question, and as with all the other comments here, will work perfectly well with your Lenz system.

Usual disclaimer: I have no connection with CT Elektronik or their agents, just a satisfied user of their products. I also use about a dozen other brands of decoder, all NMRA compliant, including Lenz and Zimo, with no problems with my NCE control systems.

I'd not fit a tiny CT in an off-the-shelf 4mm loco.   Too little current headroom in the CT to be reliable, and it will probably run too hot which causes problems.    Stick with Zimo for 4mm stuff. 

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

I tried a CT Electonik decoder for space reasons and was not impressed, it wasn't particularly linear so it's now in my spares box.

Keith

I'd not fit a tiny CT in an off-the-shelf 4mm loco.   Too little current headroom in the CT to be reliable, and it will probably run too hot which causes problems.    Stick with Zimo for 4mm stuff. 

- Nigel

I've had no problems with them in Bachmann E4 0-6-2T locos (after initial adjustments to the BEMF settings). I have also fitted them into the Bachmann Wickham trolleys where their size really is a blessing. They are also useful in other tank locos with limited space. The ones I have are rated at 1 amp continuous, with 1.5 amps for short bursts, which should be more than adequate for most current Bachmann and Hornby locomotives.

Edited by SRman