Dapol O gauge HAA

Trains4U

Some pictures from the archives

HDA 368169 at Toton 9th March 2003 

post-2484-0-63650600-1537090482_thumb.jpg

Same wagon HDA 368169 spotted on the 15th August 2003 at Toton after maintenance in the Wagon Repair Depot 

post-2484-0-16872900-1537090486_thumb.jpg

HAA 355327 27th February 2004 at Toton.  This has both position on the ends

post-2484-0-93693100-1537090489_thumb.jpg

HAA 356309 4th March 2004 at Toton.  This one looks like it has the earlier red on white flash on the end

post-2484-0-63021000-1537090492_thumb.jpg

HAA351348 29th November 2002 at Toton.  The one off trial wagon with wheel operated handbrake.

post-2484-0-80317000-1537090499_thumb.jpg

It is worth mentioning that there is no set size for these warning signs.  The statutory instrument covered this thus:

post-2484-0-46455200-1537092392_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

HAA351348 29th November 2002 at Toton.  The one off trial wagon with wheel operated handbrake.

attachicon.gifHAA 351348 Toton 29112002 34 view.jpg

It is worth mentioning that there is no set size for these warning signs.  The statutory instrument covered this thus:

attachicon.gifOLE.jpg

Thanks for 351348, never seen that conversion before, An interesting idea.

Paul

I understand that Dapol offers these wagons with the girders around the body in four colours, that is:-

1/ flame red;

2/ freight brown;

3/ yellow;

4/ blue.

These "colours" are taken from the Dapol descriptions given on the Tower Models website and may be not the descriptions that here used by either British Rail or privatisation companies.

What are the earliest dates for these liveries?

There are photographs on Paul Bartlet's website of these wagons in Millerhill and Mossend yards circa 2000. I understand that the coal fired power stations on the west side of Scotland had closed before this date... and similarly the coal mines. So what traffic flow required theses HAAs to be in the south west of Scotland at the turn of the last century.

Thank you, Graham

Freight Brown from the start to the late seventies, then flame red (railfreight), then Yellow sector livery 1987 on. With a lot of overlap.

The blue was a regional variation in the late noughties from EWS Ayr works.

There was a lot of coal imported via the Hunterston terminal, providing the coal flow from the West of Scotland

Freight Brown from the start to the late seventies, then flame red (railfreight), then Yellow sector livery 1987 on. With a lot of overlap.

The blue was a regional variation in the late noughties from EWS Ayr works.

There was a lot of coal imported via the Hunterston terminal, providing the coal flow from the West of Scotland

Not just Hunterston, Leith Docks was also a player till about three years ago supplying Cockenzie and previous to this English Power Stations!

The original wagons with hoods (later to be coded HCA) ended up as the signature wagons working the short distance flows from Blindwells and Monktonhall to Cockenzie prior to the mass conversions in the 1990's.

Mark Saunders

My one and only Dapol MGR arrived on Mon' morning so i got stuck in and did some weathering, a 50/50 mix of Humbrol matt Black and Chocolate Brown and White Spirits was hand brushed and washed on, plenty of time to do more detailing but it's a start. I don't envy anyone who has a dozen or so to weather up! The lamps that are included are too modern for my era so any one wants 'em? Please let me know.  :)

Based mine on the ones i saw at my local pit at Bickershaw. and at SP Wigan depot.

post-31611-0-16859400-1537437328_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-70162900-1537437454_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-62110500-1537437486_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

My one and only Dapol MGR arrived on Mon' morning so i got stuck in and did some weathering, a 50/50 mix of Humbrol matt Black and Chocolate Brown and White Spirits was hand brushed and washed on, plenty of time to do more detailing but it's a start. I don't envy anyone who has a dozen or so to weather up! The lamps that are included are too modern for my era so any one wants 'em? Please let me know.  :)

Based mine on the ones i saw at my local pit at Bickershaw. and at SP Wigan depot.

attachicon.gif1-3-2018_062.JPG

attachicon.gif2011-08-08 17.11.31.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-08-08 17.12.39.jpg

A work of art. Fantastic.

My one and only Dapol MGR arrived on Mon' morning so i got stuck in and did some weathering, a 50/50 mix of Humbrol matt Black and Chocolate Brown and White Spirits was hand brushed and washed on, plenty of time to do more detailing but it's a start. I don't envy anyone who has a dozen or so to weather up! The lamps that are included are too modern for my era so any one wants 'em? Please let me know. :)

1-3-2018_062.JPG

2011-08-08 17.11.31.jpg

2011-08-08 17.12.39.jpg

Hi, "Owd Bob"

I think that you have done a very Good job there sir !!!

Very realistic indeed.

Regards, Paul

Many thanks for the compliments Paul i'm no pro' modeller and i just like having reasonable & passable models, the rivets can be counted and added by the pros' I would only guess that the cleaner looking stripe effect on the sides of the real MGR'S i always saw around here were caused by some sort of rollers that fed the wagons through to be discharged at Fiddlers Ferry Power Station? I envy anyone who can buy more or even a dozen or so of these, and has the room to run them, they really are very nice models and i'm chuffed to bits with my single one.  :locomotive: I can't wait for the 20 ton standard brake van to come out next!  :)   

Edited by Owd Bob

HI

nice weathering but im not so sure they had coal left in them after being unloaded.

Regards Arran

attachicon.gif1-3-2018_062.JPG

attachicon.gif2011-08-08 17.11.31.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-08-08 17.12.39.jpg

HI

nice weathering but im not so sure they had coal left in them after being unloaded.

Regards Arran

Nit picker! LOL. My excuse and back story is that the doors are broke and thats the excuse i'll use, it's why they'll only be one wagon on my layout, it's in for repair on my small repair depot layout!  :jester:

• Like 1

Many thanks for the compliments Paul i'm no pro' modeller and i just like having reasonable & passable models, the rivets can be counted and added by the pros' I would only guess that the cleaner looking stripe effect on the sides of the real MGR'S i always saw around here were caused by some sort of rollers that fed the wagons through to be discharged at Fiddlers Ferry Power Station? I envy anyone who can buy more or even a dozen or so of these, and has the room to run them, they really are very nice models and i'm chuffed to bits with my single one.  :locomotive: I can't wait for the 20 ton standard brake van to come out next!  :)

The stripes on the side are from the rubber tyred clamps used at some locations for moving the wagons under the loading hoppers without the need for locomotives or battery men for controlling the movement.

These were formed of motorised tyred wheels that clamped on to the sides of the wagons and moved them through. The discharge at the Power Station was done by the locomotive at slow speed with the doors being both opened and closed automatically!

These marks could be seen on both MGR and ordinary hoppers!

Mark Saunders

Thanks Mark. See folks today don't realise that back in the day we had no chance of getting to see or know such details like that unless we illegally climbed over the fences or climbed up to peek inside a wagon itself!  :jester:

Or have bridges to look of 

This is the only photograph I have of this type of wagon controllers, the is a corresponding set on the other side of the bunker that clamps on the emties and moves them forward for this set to catch an enable the whole set to be loaded

!attachicon.gifButterwell Large Road.jpg

T

They where actually LWB Ford Transit twin wheels and tyres, changed many sets in the good old days.

• Like 1

A couple of my badly scanned pics' taken at Warrington of 56 076, 28th Feb' 1992. (off a bridge) which may help anyone modelling the full loads, i'm making a removable false bottomed load today for mine so i'm off outside now with the big hammer to smash up some real coal.  :jester:

post-31611-0-66951900-1537609015_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-76664600-1537609051_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 3

Having looked through all my old pics' i'd never realised just how smooth and almost level the real loads are and that they are set so far down on the ends and sides, rising up almost like the crust on a loaf in its baking tin :jester: I made a plastic card former in laminated layers using 2mm thick Black sheet which i then carved & sanded and rounded down to a likely looking shape, then i sprinkled on the smashed up coal & coal dust onto clear thick nail varnish. :)

post-31611-0-34947300-1538048097_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-43474700-1538048129_thumb.jpg

• Like 2