Mid Essex MRC 2018 show and Epping and Ongar Diesel gala.

sb67

Just thought I'd mention a couple of events this weekend. The Model Railway show, on Saturday,  always has some quality layouts and this year seems no exception, looking foward to going very much, and also this weekend it's the Epping and Ongar Autumn Diesel gala. I love this weekend every year  :)

http://memrc.offtherails.x10.mx/exhib.html

http://www.eorailway.co.uk/

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

Looking forward to this, always a good show. Have got http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125196-portwey-wessextrains-oo/

all ready to go in the back of the car. Should probably chuck the sonar in as well judging by the problems at the Dartford Tunnel yesterday.

Look forward to meeting the usual suspects (!) again.

Stu

• Like 3

Looking forward to this, always a good show. Have got http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125196-portwey-wessextrains-oo/

all ready to go in the back of the car. Should probably chuck the sonar in as well judging by the problems at the Dartford Tunnel yesterday.

Stu

Stu, will be sure to stop by and say hello.

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good luck Clive on Tudwick Road. You should hopefully see why I am having a go at O gauge.

Isn’t it it’s debut.

Dave can we have some photos of it please

Have a good day.

Steve.

Hi Steve

It is big boys toys and controlled with the extra C, so I am well out my comfort zone. Thank goodness it is a DT layout so won't be over complicated, overstocked, or oversized.

• Like 3

Apparently I am helping Bungus the Fogeyma on Tudwick Road Siding. Please say hello.

I'll def say hi, I wondered if Mr T would have a layout there, I'll look forward to seeing that. 

Stu

Been really looking forward to seeing Portwey Stu, looks like it's another good show this year. 

Steve.

Looking forward to Shenfield on Saturday. Would also love to see the clayton on Sunday but not sure what the boss would say!!!

See you there Saturday for sure. :-)

I'm lucky,  I've got the whole weekend to myself, the boss is away! 

Hope to catch you Saturday.

Steve.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I’m planning to go to the Diesel Gala. Can anyone advise where I can park my Ford Transit? Needs to be reasonably safe and not have a height barrier.

There is a car park about 200 yards past the station at Ongar on the left going into the town from the A414.

EDIT alongside the library.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

I’m planning to go to the Diesel Gala. Can anyone advise where I can park my Ford Transit? Needs to be reasonably safe and not have a height barrier.

The car park Phil mentioned is free at the weekend as well, I cant remember if it has a height restriction though.

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The car park Phil mentioned is free at the weekend as well, I cant remember if it has a height restriction though.

Steve

Theres no sign of one on Google Earth and I don't recall there being one when I used the car park a couple of months ago.

• RMweb Premium

Popped along this morning for a couple of hours, great show as always. 

Highlights for me, being a modern image modeller, were Passage Lane TMD, Portwey, Cottleston, & Shell Haven. 

This is only on today, so you still have time to go.

Be aware the area around Shenfield station is very congested as there's a bus replacement service for the GE line and there's tempoarary traffic lights on the road between the venue and Shenfied/Brentwood not far from the school. It was slow at 9:45 this morning and not much better leaving. although I cut through under the railway going back, but it was still very busy going into Shenfield from Hutton.

Rob

Edit: Just remembered Clone Line was another modern image layout that impressed. Liked the simple way the cassettes were used to swap stock. Food for thought.

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi, thanks everyone for the Ongar car park info, it was a great help. We got there early (0750) to be on the safe side and got the van parked in a good corner space so it was in nobody’s way. The car park has a 3.5 ton weight limit which we are just under and the sign says ‘no vehicles over 2.1 metres because of the height barrier,’ but there isn’t a barrier and there is no sign of it ever having had one.

After breakfast in a nearby cafe we spent the whole day on the railway. A excellent line with lots of gradients so plenty of thrash. All the ‘public’ staff were well presented and helpful. Motive power was 03, 17, 20, 31, 37 and a dmu. North Weald station has constant activity as locos are attached and detached for runs to Epping Forest which have to be top and tailed. The 03 provides brake van rides and ‘drive for a fiver’ between trains. Cab rides available too for a fiver. Vintage buses were running and we had a trip to Epping Underground station on a Routemaster. My wife and I both had a turn driving the 03, fairly straightforward but keeping the deadmans pedal down is hard on the knees.

A great day out - its on again tomorrow.

Now can I manage to visit the model railway show tomorrow?

• Like 1

Hi, thanks everyone for the Ongar car park info, it was a great help. We got there early (0750) to be on the safe side and got the van parked in a good corner space so it was in nobody’s way. The car park has a 3.5 ton weight limit which we are just under and the sign says ‘no vehicles over 2.1 metres because of the height barrier,’ but there isn’t a barrier and there is no sign of it ever having had one.

After breakfast in a nearby cafe we spent the whole day on the railway. A excellent line with lots of gradients so plenty of thrash. All the ‘public’ staff were well presented and helpful. Motive power was 03, 17, 20, 31, 37 and a dmu. North Weald station has constant activity as locos are attached and detached for runs to Epping Forest which have to be top and tailed. The 03 provides brake van rides and ‘drive for a fiver’ between trains. Cab rides available too for a fiver. Vintage buses were running and we had a trip to Epping Underground station on a Routemaster. My wife and I both had a turn driving the 03, fairly straightforward but keeping the deadmans pedal down is hard on the knees.

A great day out - its on again tomorrow.

Now can I manage to visit the model railway show tomorrow?

Glad you enjoyed yourself Colin, I'm looking forward to seeing the Clayton tomorrow. Just to let you know the model show is only on Saturday.

Steve. 

Had a great day at the show, as usual there were some quality layouts, pleased to see and get to operate Portwey, enjoyed seeing Condicote and Earls Court and many others, not forgetting Tudwick Road the O guage stuff looks ever more appealing! good to meet and chat to people, didn't realise where the day went and ended up leaving about 4.30 full of inspiration.

Big thanks to all exhibitors and organisers, I'll post some pics as soon as I get the chance.

Steve.

• Like 2