BR road delivery vehicle with canvas hood

nicktamarensis

Hello.

This photo of a BR trailer mounted on ex-SR well wagon No. 61163 was taken at Eastleigh in October 1949. In close-up the trailer is numbered '2320' with a suffix which looks like 'H' or 'N' 5. The trailer has a fresh-looking BR totem affixed to the trailer side.

Not knowing anything about these vehicles other than they were usually hitched to a Scammell-type power unit, I wonder if anyone has info relating to the origin, when, where, how many built and their longevity.

Any info gleaned would be credited as part of a published caption for the well wagon and trailer to appear in the Irwell Press 'Workaday Wagons' feature.

Apologies, although the image is positioned OK in my file the transfer process wanted to skew it sideways no matter how many times I changed the original image position.

Many thanks in advance.

Nick.

post-19032-0-48774100-1535749810_thumb.jpg

post-19032-0-48774100-1535749810_thumb.jpg

Hello.

This photo of a BR trailer mounted on ex-SR well wagon No. 61163 was taken at Eastleigh in October 1949. In close-up the trailer is numbered '2320' with a suffix which looks like 'H' or 'N' 5. The trailer has a fresh-looking BR totem affixed to the trailer side.

Not knowing anything about these vehicles other than they were usually hitched to a Scammell-type power unit, I wonder if anyone has info relating to the origin, when, where, how many built and their longevity.

Any info gleaned would be credited as part of a published caption for the well wagon and trailer to appear in the Irwell Press 'Workaday Wagons' feature.

Apologies, although the image is positioned OK in my file the transfer process wanted to skew it sideways no matter how many times I changed the original image position.

Many thanks in advance.

Nick.

post-1625-0-59533700-1535754547.jpg

Number appears to be 2320 M S, a Southern Region 3ton covered van with Scammell coupling, probably ex Southern Railway.

Considering how many units and trailers that B R had, it is very rare to see a picture of any in transit to and from sites.  The 3 ton trailers were usually hauled by Scammell Mechanical Horses, Scarabs or Karrier Bantams 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Merfyn,

Another question - what does the '20' disc fixed to the back of the trailer refer to?

Nick.

Right up until the 60's heavy goods vehicles on British roads were limited to 20 mph. This was to warn other road users that it was a slow vehicle, and to inform police etc. that it was a speed limited vehicle.

I think the HGV limit was actually 30mph, under the Road Traffic Act 1930, and that the 20 sign indicated ‘even slower’, possibly because a semi-trailer or a three-wheeled tractor was subject to a tighter limit.

I’m wrong!

It was complicated ...... see below.

post-26817-0-00424800-1536431556_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Do others remember the warning on the rear of more modern HGVs during the 1960s- 'CAUTION-AIR-BRAKES' ? People were used to the somewhat slow manner of braking of earlier generations of lorry, and used to tailgate them. Encountering a large vehicle that could actually stop in a short distance was something of a shock.

• RMweb Premium

Under the 1930 road traffic act a 30 mph limit was placed on all roads except where a variation applied or the road was de-restricted. Roads where a variation applied the variation was shown as a number in a red circle that we are all familiar with as is the sign for a de-restricted road of a black bar in a white circle. The '20' sign indicated that the vehicle was even further restricted. You may have noticed that roads where a 30mph limit applies do not have the small repeater signs indicating the limit because drivers are expected to know of the 30 mph limit.

EDIT As in Nearholmers post above vehicles fitted with solid tyres were even more limited, some as low as 5mph.

Edited by PhilJ W

I think the HGV limit was actually 30mph, under the Road Traffic Act 1930, and that the 20 sign indicated ‘even slower’, possibly because a semi-trailer or a three-wheeled tractor was subject to a tighter limit.

I’m wrong!

It was complicated ...... see below.

Can anyone actually tell me exactly was meant by 'heavy motor car' ? ............ this was long before the days of Chelsea Tractors, of course !

• Like 1