Model Rail 252 September 2018

dibber25

• RMweb Gold

Fair comment.

As for the NER Tyneside EMUs, I'm just glad to see an article about how to build stuff that runs on layouts.

In fact, I'd rather like it if I could see more stuff in a similar vein in as many magazines as possible - stuff like this makes a welcome change from opening boxes and seeing photos of other people's layouts.

OK - a personal view - and probably a controversial view - but my real interests in railway modelling have always centred on how to build things - and how to make them work.

Huw.

Its how things used to be done, especially in the old MRC, the January 1961 issue had a spookily similar article describing how to build a Southern Electric 4-CEP unit from Kitmaster Mk1 coaches!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Its how things used to be done, especially in the old MRC, the January 1961 issue had a spookily similar article describing how to build a Southern Electric 4-CEP unit from Kitmaster Mk1 coaches!

I seem to recall a similar article about building a class 309 unit.

• Like 1

Ah, yes. Alan Williams. There was almost nothing he couldn't make from Kitmaster Mk1s and that 4-CEP issue was one of the first that I bought. (CJL)

• Like 3

Picked up a copy today and enjoying a read. I like the idea of a layout for under £200 but i could not see an overall photo of the track plan and a shot of yhe finished layout. Also it would be an idea maybe to explain how to operate the layout especially if a beginner

Johna

It was clamped down on due to East European builders taking materials from beaches on an industrial scale.

Why pay for sand or gravel when there is a big load of free stuff lying around? :nono:

Jason

Specifically Eastern European!?!? Please don't let us descend to cheap stereotypes...

Anyway, good issue of MR. I am in agreement with the O gauge comments mind. There seems to be a lot of 'tat' out there which still commands high prices. As one who spends time bargain hunting in 7mm scale, true value for money in the second hand market seems difficult to find. As an example, when the price of many secondhand wagons is compared to the latest new offerings from Dapol it seems used items carry an illogical premium.

• Like 2

Specifically Eastern European!?!? Please don't let us descend to cheap stereotypes...

Anyway, good issue of MR. I am in agreement with the O gauge comments mind. There seems to be a lot of 'tat' out there which still commands high prices. As one who spends time bargain hunting in 7mm scale, true value for money in the second hand market seems difficult to find. As an example, when the price of many secondhand wagons is compared to the latest new offerings from Dapol it seems used items carry an illogical premium.

I think it will be a while before there's a sufficient supply of secondhand ready-to-run 'O' gauge to affect the overall pricing of used equipment. There is also an issue with brass RTR in O gauge which doesn't really have a 'OO' equivalent. For instance, I have an unpainted Tower Class 122. It needs an interior, painting and glazing but with the arrival of the Dapol equivalent, I'm unlikely to ever complete it. If I put it up for sale, I'm going to have to ask a lot less than the Dapol model, and a lot less than I actually paid for it. And that's arguably the way the secondhand market should be. But if I'd detailed, painted and finished it, I might well expect to gain some extra from the work I'd put in, pushing the asking price above the Dapol equivalent and - I suspect - being unlikely to find a buyer. (CJL)

I can come out with whatever stereotypes I please thank you very much.

I know what goes on in real life.

But this is a model railway forum, can we keep it as such?

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

I can come out with whatever stereotypes I please thank you very much.

I know what goes on in real life.

But this is a model railway forum, can we keep it as such?

Jason

Agreed Jason but you raised the issue in the first place. Let's agree to disagree.

Anyway, the layout for £200 article is very inspiring. Maybe it is something that could form the basis of a challenge? It could work in any scale/gauge combination! :) Perfect for returning modellers, young people, students, those wanting to try a new scale... well the list is endless.

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I don't usually buy Model Rail but did this time round as I thought it was such a good edition.  It was great to see that Hornby/Triang old style Mk1s are still not safe from the cut'n'shut!

Also surprised by the title of the Irish themed layout - some of my Irish friends were surprised this made it to print, too!

Again, a great mag.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Really thrilled with how my article on Kirkmellington has come out and the fantastic pictures by the talented Mr Nevard.

Lovely layout, very evocative and a nice steam/diesel mix.

I really like what you've done with the Bachmann colliery head gear by cladding it, looks so much more realistic, I'll do that with mine!

all the best,

Keith

• Like 2

Just one thing about the wagon upgrade article. Isn't the Lima van used HO/3.5mm scale? Still looks fine though.

steve

I don't think so. I had some Lma HO vans once, & while this one is a bit lower than others in the final photo, the HO vans were significantly smaller all round. Also, if it was HO, the replacement chassis wouldn't fit ;)

Seems to be some "continuity errors" with the couplings in the pictures, though :mosking:

• Like 1