Duchesses off their patch in BR days

TerryD1471

• RMweb Premium

46242 (I think it is anyway) got to Ledsham (Chester - Birkenhead line) on a Royal train in 1957.

See:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-departure-of-her-majesty-the-queen-from-ledsham-station-1957-online

Loco is shown at 8:28

The coaches in use for the royal train were quite interesting, some were quite old including some clerestory roofed vehicles.

Keith

In this post, there are records of Duchesses (and other ex-LMS and BR standard locomotives) on Perth-Edinburgh workings via the Glenfarg route and the Forth Bridge:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65351-the-glenfarg-route/?p=887331

There is also photographic evidence of Duchesses at Aberdeen, having worked up from Perth (on the now closed Strathmore route) on the back of the famous Crewe-Perth sleeper workings.

• RMweb Premium

Back to the New Street situation, Modern Railways reported that on 16th August 1962 No. 46228 was noted apparently doing clearance tests through Platforms 8, 9 and 10. 

On January 26th 1963 No. 46250 was noted in Platform 7 working the 4.15pm Wolverhampton - Euston.

I wonder why it was on platform 7? That was the Midland side before rebuilding, as were 8, 9 & 10.

3 & 4 were the usual platforms for the Euston Direction, 5 & 6 in the reverse direction

I saw 46245 City of London in Platform 6 with an ex Euston train before August 62.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

There is also photographic evidence of Duchesses at Aberdeen, having worked up from Perth (on the now closed Strathmore route) on the back of the famous Crewe-Perth sleeper workings.

There is are also photographs of Duchesses on the Fish from Aberdeen, at Perth (Via Strathmore).

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if this counts but 46245 "London" came from Crewe to Derby in the early sixties(1961???) for the Railway Agricultural Show as did 46251 "Nottingham" and I believe 46247 "Liverpool" put in at least one appearance on a special over the S&C. Late in their life they were to be seen on the North Wales route..........but to me they were always the West Coast Magnus Opus. 

Superb engines

Mike

Mike

City of Liverpool worked an SLS special over the S&C. I've got a book somewhere that gives the date and shows pictures of it at Skipton. I was fortunate enough to see it at Settle. I was about 10 at the time and IIRC we'd just come out of St Johns Chapel on the west side of the line just north of the viaduct. It was going like a bat out of hell and I've been told that it set some sort of record for the ascent of the Long Drag.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder why it was on platform 7? That was the Midland side before rebuilding, as were 8, 9 & 10.

3 & 4 were the usual platforms for the Euston Direction, 5 & 6 in the reverse direction

I saw 46245 City of London in Platform 6 with an ex Euston train before August 62.

Keith

I'm not sure when and why that train went over to Platform 7. There's a photo on the web of 70001 coming out of the carriage sidings at King's Norton with ECS in April 1963. In the summer of 1964 it was booked ECS  King's Norton using Platform 5 on the Down and Platform 3 on the Up train. At sometime in 1963 there was work done on tne LNW side platforms to make the old bays into Platforms 1 and 2 involving some alterations around the access to Platform 3, so it may have been around that time that Platform 7 was used for some trains.

The coaches in use for the royal train were quite interesting, some were quite old including some clerestory roofed vehicles.

Keith

They are the ones that stayed in the train well into the 1970s until replaced by the 1977 set of Mark Threes. Thankfully most of them survive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Royal_Train#Royal_Train_carriages

Jason

• Like 1

Keith

Could have been diverted during the Euston Rebuilding, was there not a fair number of diversions to Marylebone a that time?

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Could have been diverted during the Euston Rebuilding, was there not a fair number of diversions to Marylebone a that time?

Jim

Wolverhampton services ran to Paddington. The remaining 3 or 4 which ran to New Street got tied in with the Euston - Rugby via Northampton semi fasts.

• RMweb Premium

Jim

The Marylebone diversions via Bletchley & Claydon LNE were mainly powered by EE Type 4's (Class 40), no Duchesses that I recall.

End of October 1954, Carlisle was flooded and some trains were diverted via Edinburgh and Newcastle.WJV Anderson photographed 46221 passing Polmont on the up Royal Scot.

Personally I remember seeing a Duchess passing Longniddry very slowly on an up train

"Trains Illustrated" for December 1954 has details of Polmadie Duchesses on some of those diversions. 46221, as you say, took the Royal Scot as far as Newcastle on October 30. Earlier that day, 46230 and 46232 had been in Newcastle with overnight trains from Glasgow. The down Royal Scot went by Carlisle, then over the Waverley route behind 46227.