Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

I have used DCC Concepts cobalt digital motors. plug and play, 3 wires - 2 to the rails, and one to the frog. simple programming, and guaranteed for life. i had one out of the 12 i used on my previous layout fail, about 3 years old, replaced, with no quibbles. 

i have 6 in a box now, and will be using them on Hither Green

Have a look at the Hattons old type point motors like the old H&M type good and bomb proof.     ( yes it's early got to be in Rugby for 6.00 am ) :scared: just woke up and havin a cup of coffee then to Bala to collect my load of Cup Cakes  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Cheers Martin, I already have 10 X PM4's that I got from young Craig / Muddys Blues, at The Great Welsh Meet Up earlier this Month, so I might as well use them.

Enjoy eating your way through your Load, :O  :nono:  If I were delivering them, there'd be none left by the time I got to Rugby, haha. :no:

I have used DCC Concepts cobalt digital motors. plug and play, 3 wires - 2 to the rails, and one to the frog. simple programming, and guaranteed for life. i had one out of the 12 i used on my previous layout fail, about 3 years old, replaced, with no quibbles. 

i have 6 in a box now, and will be using them on Hither Green

Cheers 47606odin?

That's interesting, I never knew Cobalt did the DCC Ready ones, and only a couple of quid dearer than the TT300's, so that would give me the option now to leave my TT300's in place, and replace them with Cobalts as and when one fails, as its the same 3 wire feature and fitting.

BTW, I like your Avatar, I used to live at Hoo, on the Isle of Grain when my Dad worked for the Admiralty and then BP.

Cheers,

Looks like THE END IS NIGH:O  :scared:  :nono:

:sungum:

for the Traintronic TT300 DCC Point Motors, 3 failures today, i.e. not throwing the full distance, and one was Brand New out of the packet,  so these will be returned from whence they came, for replacements or refunds.

I will be switching, (see what I did there?) to Gaugemaster / Seep PM4's and a Peco Lever Frame as I had on Pencarne and Kings Moreton. It will involve some more wiring, but I'd rather get it done now, rather than wait and have to do it at a later date.

So a re think at 3am, and also since then, a post from 47606odin, about the Cobalt Digital Motors. I will now leave the TT300's in place until one fails and replace with Cobalt's one at a time.

I will order a couple of Cobalts today to replace 2 of the 3 failed TT300's, (one was a spare), and see how it goes.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Cheers 47606odin?

That's interesting, I never knew Cobalt did the DCC Ready ones, and only a couple of quid dearer than the TT300's, so that would give me the option now to leave my TT300's in place, and replace them with Cobalts as and when one fails, as its the same 3 wire feature and fitting.

BTW, I like your Avatar, I used to live at Hoo, on the Isle of Grain when my Dad worked for the Admiralty and then BP.

Cheers,

I was a driver at Hoo Junction before driving here in Western Australia, and DCC Concepts have always been helpful when i have contacted them for tech support

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy

The Cobalt digital point motors can be wired with just three wires but that means effectively connecting them to the track power bus rather than the accessory bus otherwise you're powering the frog from the accessory bus.

There is a further inbuilt changeover switch that can be used to switch frog polarity from the track power bus. That switch is then connected to the track power bus - with the common to the frog - and the initial two connections can be connected to the accessory bus to facilitate point operation.

Andy

The Cobalt digital point motors can be wired with just three wires but that means effectively connecting them to the track power bus rather than the accessory bus otherwise you're powering the frog from the accessory bus.

There is a further inbuilt changeover switch that can be used to switch frog polarity from the track power bus. That switch is then connected to the track power bus - with the common to the frog - and the initial two connections can be connected to the accessory bus to facilitate point operation.

Cheers Ray, I don't use a Bus as such, I just do loom from Point to Point acting as Track Feed and Switch Feed, these then go into a block for the two Track feeds to the Motor and a Frog wire, so it should be the same wiring.

Cheers.

I was a driver at Hoo Junction before driving here in Western Australia, and DCC Concepts have always been helpful when i have contacted them for tech support

Haha, after my time, I left Hoo when I was 9 years old, in 1959, but I do remember the Berry Wiggins Tanks and also the BP ones.

That George T is a BAD influence. After a chat with him this morning, and finishing the wiring, I decided to have a small running session, with my Steam Stock. So out came the Jinty, 61XX, 57XX, 64XX and 8750, plus the Black 08 for a rumble in the Shed.

All good fun.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 8

It's hard to beat a rumble in the shed, unless of course the shed in in the jungle.

Paul

Yes Paul, 3 x 08's, a pair of 20's and a Rat, all with your Sound, and the neighbours thought it was an EARTHQUAKE happening :scared: . :no:  :no:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

That George T is a BAD influence. After a chat with him this morning, and finishing the wiring, I decided to have a small running session, with my Steam Stock. So out came the Jinty, 61XX, 57XX, 64XX and 8750, plus the Black 08 for a rumble in the Shed.

All good fun.

You can't stop yourself

Flipping Unorganised Nutter

I bet it was FUN.

Thats a serious range of Pannier Tanks there Andy!

Paul R

Yes Paul, and I keep looking at the74XX (missing from a full set) that Hattons have at silly money.

Edited by Andrew P

Go on you know you want to!

I dont have DCC but is it right these Dapol and Minerva small engines will work happily on a chip designed for 00?

Paul R

Yes, even my Heljan 25 and 20's are ok but need one Motor taken out, which on a small Layout is fine.

The Minerva 8750, Dapol Jinty, 57XX and 64XX are all OO Chips.