The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

False name, my address. Metrolink fare dodger?

w124bob

Which ever branch of the political spectrum people come from, the BBC is accused of supporting the other side. 

Ha! Yes. Conservatives refer to BBC standing for "B******s Broadcasting Communism" whilst the very senior Labour person I know is convinced that the BBC had and still have it in for Labour. I have yet to find out what the Lib Dems think of the BBC, but it probably is equally as paranoid.

• RMweb Premium

We live in an era where neutral reporting is seen as biased and where it is common to dismiss people holding different views as being stupid. To be honest I object to the TV licence fee and having to pay for a service I almost never use (if given a choice I'd happily lose access to the BBC in return for not paying the licence fee) but as far as news bias goes they are an awful long way from being the worst offenders.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think in some ways broadcast TV is rapidly becoming irrelevant, why bother with TV schedules and hoping that there will be something worth watching when you can access entertainment on demand and make your own choices what to watch and listen to, and when? I don't watch much TV but when I do it is now almost all via Web based on demand services. My wife and kids use the TV more but they use Web based services all the time and have no residual attachment to the terrestrial broadcast media. Given that other service providers are able to manage pay to access I really see no reason why the BBC should not have a similar arrangement.

I had this scenario from the other end of things. Made the mistake of actually getting in a tram in Nottingham without buying a ticket (as you can on literally every other transport system in the country) and was rather humiliatingly hauled off halfway to my destination. I was perfectly willing to buy a ticket (and did so the first chance I could).

After giving all of my details, they got my house number wrong. Fortunately I was in a position to correct it then and there (and the fact that I did seemed to surprise them immensely), but it just goes to show that the person who is here could be neither a fare dodger not a swindler. I managed to spot and correct the issue before it caught someone else, but I’ve always been weird like that...

• RMweb Premium

We live in an era where neutral reporting is seen as biased and where it is common to dismiss people holding different views as being stupid. To be honest I object to the TV licence fee and having to pay for a service I almost never use (if given a choice I'd happily lose access to the BBC in return for not paying the licence fee) but as far as news bias goes they are an awful long way from being the worst offenders.

Oh yes. You have it in a nutshell. The 'modern disease'. Live with it etc. Suck it up, the people have spoken, eat my shorts...........

Bart.

I think that the BBC its self is neutral, however when 2 reporters (at differing times) seem to report a different take on events, this is where claims of bias are formed. I assume its the reporters own political views seeping through. I assume to be a political reporter you must be interested in the subject, and it must be hard to seperate your own views from a report, or easy to over compensate trying to hide your own views. Which ever way you loose

Its probable society/viewers who have become much less tolerant of others views. At one time you could have a good discussion with those who have opposing views, now it usually expands into full blown arguments, politics is worst, with debates seemingly having Queensbury rules as a final tie breaker. We even had a mass falling out on here over a thread about differing 00 gauge variants.

I happened to see some ticket snappers whilst out on Metrolink recently, asked what happens in this situation, they hadn't a clue. The one I spoke to had never been in a court either. There is a waiting period now whilst the appeal system grinds on. I haven't appealled the two tickets though, merely pointed out I'm not the gentleman named. Sunday 5th August I can't honestly remember where I was or what I did, second offence for the 6th I can recall as I volunteer in an Oxfam shop then went to the model railway club!

Edited by w124bob

I happened to see some ticket snappers whilst out on Metrolink recently, asked what happens in this situation, they hadn't a clue. The one I spoke to had never been in a court either. There is a waiting period now whilst the appeal system grinds on. I haven't appealled the two tickets though, merely pointed out I'm not the gentleman named. Sunday 5th August I can't honestly remember where I was or what I did, second offence for the 6th I can recall as I volunteer in an Oxfam shop then went to the model railway club!

I would have expected that company policy for issuing such notice would be to check the electoral register for validation before allowing the person to go!

We had a football tour to Amsterdam many years ago (35+years), used the trams to hop on and off between bars, we thought how generous the local council was allowing free tram rides as there was no conductor and the driver never took money. A few years later learnt you had to buy tickets at local shops.  

• RMweb Premium

Put your grievance up on their social network pages - FB, tw&tter etc.  Don't let go until you have a direct contact with someone. That usually results in a quick solution.

It did for me after trying 8-10 weeks of emails/letters to sort out an insurance/credit card scam when someone used my details - it was resolved in 8 days......

• RMweb Premium

Its probable society/viewers who have become much less tolerant of others views. At one time you could have a good discussion with those who have opposing views, now it usually expands into full blown arguments, politics is worst, with debates seemingly having Queensbury rules as a final tie breaker. We even had a mass falling out on here over a thread about differing 00 gauge variants.

Spread of the internet maybe. How often do disagreements get that heated in person? Sure they do from time to time (and always have done) but not as regularly. Maybe because it's easier to go no holds barred when you're not face to face with someone, maybe simply because we're more likely to run in to people with significantly different opinions in an environment where they're more likely to crop up (scanning through all the threads in a forum is inevitably going to bring up more subjects than a chat in the pub).

Things must've been worse in the past if the story is true that the benches in the House of Commons are deliberately far enough apart to stop them from easily sticking swords in to each other!

• RMweb Premium

I think that the BBC its self is neutral

I recall a programme about "The Battle for Ormskirk", which was infamous during the Miner's Strike.  In one part of the programme they discussed one episode where the Police (which included Soldiers dressed in Police uniforms, who were under strict instructions not to arrest anybody) conducted a mounted baton charge; the Miners responded by throwing stones, sticks, whatever....

However, when it appeared on the BBC news it all kicks off with the MIners throwing stones, then the Police charging.  As to which version of events is correct....

As a part of the programme they interviewed an MP (Labour?) who was present and witnessed the whole bundle.  When he saw the BBC News he made a formal complaint, stating that it did not accurately reflect the true events.  BBC responded by saying it was "just a mix-up on the editing room floor...."

Naturally Labour accused the BBC of having been "got at" by the Government....

Apparently they now hold Battle re-enactments between Miners and Police (every year?) 

We had a football tour to Amsterdam many years ago (35+years), used the trams to hop on and off between bars, we thought how generous the local council was allowing free tram rides as there was no conductor and the driver never took money. A few years later learnt you had to buy tickets at local shops.  

I've just returned from a trip to Melbourne and Perth, where in both cities the trams in the central area are free to use - as a matter of policy, not just because they don't police the system. It's all about reducing car traffic. Very civilised.

Paul

• Like 1

I've just returned from a trip to Melbourne and Perth, where in both cities the trams in the central area are free to use - as a matter of policy, not just because they don't police the system. It's all about reducing car traffic. Very civilised.

Paul

Commies !!

Just like the Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire tried once  .... probably the sinister influence of the Tavvi once more - even down under ! :jester:

dh

I recall a programme about "The Battle for Ormskirk", which was infamous during the Miner's Strike.  In one part of the programme they discussed one episode where the Police (which included Soldiers dressed in Police uniforms, who were under strict instructions not to arrest anybody) conducted a mounted baton charge; the Miners responded by throwing stones, sticks, whatever....

However, when it appeared on the BBC news it all kicks off with the MIners throwing stones, then the Police charging.  As to which version of events is correct....

As a part of the programme they interviewed an MP (Labour?) who was present and witnessed the whole bundle.  When he saw the BBC News he made a formal complaint, stating that it did not accurately reflect the true events.  BBC responded by saying it was "just a mix-up on the editing room floor...."

Apparently they now hold Battle re-enactments between Miners and Police (every year?) 

Battle for Ormskirk ? I think you maybe mean Orgreaves (which maybe goes to show how fallible memory can be, distorting our view of events without meaning to).

Thing is what did the minors do to antagonise the police/army ? Police do not charge innocent protesters or bystanders.

During one of the steel workers strikes my farther was works convenor at a local factory which made springs and sprung steel wire at a small factory in West Hertfordshire, A delegation of steel workers union activists met at the factory and demanded the local workforce went out on strike in sympathy. Threatening both factory gate picketing and hinted about violence

As it happened the company was a family run business which looked after its staff and paid reasonable rates, he thanked the union delegates for their time and confirmed the strike had nothing to do with the company he worked for, suggesting any thoughts of picketing let alone intimidation would be very unwise, after a strong hand shake and a smile he left the room and business carried on as normal as alternative steel supplies had been sourced from West Germany

What's the point of the story, things go on in strikes and protests that normal society bulkes against.

• RMweb Premium

What has the Miners' Strike got to do with this thread's origin? Nothing really, but let me put some things straight here.

The Miners at Orgreave were fighting, oh yes, however the brutality of the Police was unforgivable and it had been sanctioned by the Prime Minister; that is fact and has been revealed in recent times.

I now live not far away from that place and I have met people that were involved from both sides. Surrey Police Officers that volunteered to go up and "give those northern lads a hard time". This was described as volunteering for a ruck. Activity also included waving wads of money at them with taunts and engaging in swaggering about to temp the 'lads' to have a go.This from the mouth of a good Police Officer I worked with in Road Safety in the early 90s in leafy and wealthy Surrey. He was, those few years later, not that proud of what he saw and knew.

From retired coal face workers living near me that are now old men that hate the Police (and anything to do with right wing politics), not just for that event but for helping destroy the Communities in which they lived (however rough and tough).

The TV reporting of that event was heavily edited. The press of the time took sides as they always have done. The whole truth will probably never be established. but please, unless you have hard evidence from the 'horses' mouths' then please do not speculate about that event.

Urban myth about the annual re enactment. 

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thing is what did the minors do to antagonise the police/army ? Police do not charge innocent protesters or bystanders.

During one of the steel workers strikes my farther was works convenor at a local factory which made springs and sprung steel wire at a small factory in West Hertfordshire, A delegation of steel workers union activists met at the factory and demanded the local workforce went out on strike in sympathy. Threatening both factory gate picketing and hinted about violence

As it happened the company was a family run business which looked after its staff and paid reasonable rates, he thanked the union delegates for their time and confirmed the strike had nothing to do with the company he worked for, suggesting any thoughts of picketing let alone intimidation would be very unwise, after a strong hand shake and a smile he left the room and business carried on as normal as alternative steel supplies had been sourced from West Germany

What's the point of the story, things go on in strikes and protests that normal society bulkes against.

Oh yes they do.

So is it only abnormal society that thinks that the right to remove ones' labour when things are sh##e, is something that needs to be protected at all costs? 

Edited by Mallard60022

Oh yes they do.

So is it only abnormal society that thinks that the right to remove ones' labour when things are sh##e, is something that needs to be protected at all costs? 

As the previous post stated, only say what you have heard from the horses mouth.

My farther and his fellow workers who were all signed up trades unionists, had fellow trade unionists demand they go on strike (despite not being involved) and threatened with violence by fellow trade unionists. by all means you have the right to remove your own labour.

No one has the right to demand another to withdraw their labour

No one should ever threaten violence to another person 

Its abnormal society that makes the above demands. No doubt there were bulley boys in the police as there were in the unions. Both were wrong and totally out of order.

As the previous post stated, only say what you have heard from the horses mouth.

My farther and his fellow workers who were all signed up trades unionists, had fellow trade unionists demand they go on strike (despite not being involved) and threatened with violence by fellow trade unionists. by all means you have the right to remove your own labour.

No one has the right to demand another to withdraw their labour

No one should ever threaten violence to another person 

Its abnormal society that makes the above demands. No doubt there were bulley boys in the police as there were in the unions. Both were wrong and totally out of order.

Totally agree - as a former member of the ISTC I became aware that the union officials were domineering clowns that used their shop stewards as muscle.  I was glad to be out of it,