The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Prostate checking

spikey

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, big jim said:

To be honest my GP administered prostate exam was no different to trying to successfully wipe my arse with Lidl value toilet paper, that tends to put a finger where a finger shouldn’t be too 

TMI! As far as females and the handling of male equipment are concerned, while all my rectal exams have been by (unaccompanied) males, ladies have certainly undertaken insertion and removal of catheters, not to mention shaving in that zone. Charming, sympathetic, gentle and unaccompanied - but in circs where eroticism was a million miles away. 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

ladies have certainly undertaken insertion and removal of catheters

Well I read that wrong as “removal of characters” and I thought, “that’s not how I remember playing with my Star Wars figures” 

When I had to have a camera up me pee hole to check for kidney stones sexy thoughts were the last thing on my mind! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, big jim said:

When I had to have a camera up me pee hole to check for kidney stones sexy thoughts were the last thing on my mind! 

Just reading those words makes my eyes water. I can’t imagine how unpleasant that must have been. :(

Paul

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Fenman said:

Just reading those words makes my eyes water. I can’t imagine how unpleasant that must have been. :(

Paul

If it is done under anesthetic you get a free kip and I even got offered some sandwiches in Rc after my 'little' probe, about 20 years ago; scary it is that long ago. However that was in Haywards Heath......and before I was NGCI. Sadly much later I discovered that some b#####d had tried to break into my motor, parked in the car park, on the passenger side and had f####d the lock. Win some, lose some.

Liddle Scratch

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

not to mention shaving in that zone

One of the most scary moments in my life was whilst being prepped for a minor op the barber came round, opened up a tool roll and pulled out a cut-throat razor.  Don't worry, just keep still he said. I couldn't move as I was rigid with fear when i saw the blade approaching.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 08:46, big jim said:

........was no different to trying to successfully wipe my arse with Lidl value toilet paper, that tends to put a finger where a finger shouldn’t be too 

Made all the worse if you have a habit of biting your fingernails

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 12:54, TheSignalEngineer said:

One of the most scary moments in my life was whilst being prepped for a minor op the barber came round, opened up a tool roll and pulled out a cut-throat razor.  Don't worry, just keep still he said. I couldn't move as I was rigid with fear when i saw the blade approaching.

Try a trainee nurse, young female, probably not yet 20, with shaking hands, waving a scalpel around the very sensitive area to remove stitches...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, polybear said:

Made all the worse if you have a habit of biting your fingernails

That is the most disgusting thing that I have read; at least since yesterday.  And the mental image................................................

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That Lidl loo paper has to be the worst I have ever used. Certainly not fit for purpose. The Shea butter stuff is ok, but my advice to all is avoid the basic loo paper sold by Lidl at all costs.

This is actually more important than getting your prostate checked when you get to a certain age, but only just.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 09:56, Fenman said:

Paul

Never mind when they put it in. Although I did wonder how a tube that big could go into a hole that small.

I had a tube and bag fitted for three days after a "re-bore".

It's when they pull it out that is the problem.

Painful and messy.

The young female nurse was brilliant. Don't worry she said. "We can soon wash down the walls".

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

Of all the indignities inflicted upon my poor body in the last two years the camera into the bladder was the one which bothered me the most. Silly really, didn't hurt, done with a local anaesthetic squirted into the appropriate orifice. I quite enjoyed watching the tv show from inside the bladder! It was when the catheter was withdrawn, they fill the bladder with water.........think whale surfacing!! Thar she blows!

Edited by Snarlywolf
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/09/2019 at 12:44, Oldddudders said:

I had a camera up into my bladder, almost without being asked. In fact I don't think I was! It really was not painful, merely weird. I did get nursie to hold my hand, but it wasn't awful, in truth. 

Nursie was holding something else in my case!:yes:

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Snarlywolf said:

Of all the indignities inflicted upon my poor body in the last two years the camera into the bladder was the one which bothered me the most. Silly really, didn't hurt, done with a local anaesthetic squirted into the appropriate orifice. I quite enjoyed watching the tv show from inside the bladder! It was when the catheter was withdrawn, they fill the bladder with water.........think whale surfacing!! Thar she blows!

Evidently different techniques in different countries. Having had catheter withdrawal twice, possibly three times, it was just a mechanical effort by nursie, no additional fluids used. The anticipation was infinitely worse than the actual! The same remark applies to having an angiogram - injecting into an artery didn't sound fun, proved a non-event. They know what they are doing!

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Back in July I posted that a friend had terminal prostate cancer, and that I had contacted him and I posted on here his reply to me.   I contacted him again in December and today received a reply, which as before I am posting - hopefully things are heading in the right direction? It obviously pays to have a very positive attitude.

"Hi Guys

It's me, I'm still here! Apologies I haven't responded earlier to your email Barry, I've being having an rotten time. 

Good to hear you are okay Barry after your heart scare. It's a ****** to get old mate.

I am finally on the mend although not cured. I completed my 6 lots of chemo in November and am still recovering. I can safely say it was all they said it would be and more. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy although there are a couple of people that come to mind where I wouldn't mind injecting personally! I got to ring the bell at The Christie which is a tradition when you end chemo. Everyone stands around and cheers and claps you, patients, doctors and nurses. All rather embarrassing. Apparently very few complete all six, 2 lots or sometimes 4 are the norm. I'm just stubborn, there was no bravery involved. I slept for 2 weeks straight after the last lot and dropped over a stone. I still struggle getting up and am normally in bed by 7.00. Apparently it can take 6 to 9 months to recover and some only recover to 80%. My aim is to go back to work in April or May. So I am having counselling with how to live with cancer after treatment and have a personal trainer building me up with exercises. My hair and beard are growing back. (I didn't shave for months now I have to twice a week). I am weaning myself off as many of the 26 pills I take a day as possible. Some I will take forever. At present I am working getting my morphine intake down. That is particularly nasty because of the side effects but I'm down from 60ml a day to 20.

Well that's about it from me. I lead a very different and slightly boring life at present but aim to get back to as normal as I can possibly be and prove the experts wrong and hang around like a bad smell for as long as possible.

Best wishes to you all

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

On 16/03/2019 at 06:17, Chris M said:

I have been told that us chaps have a design fault and every one of us will get prostate cancer if we live long enough. Its worth having a PSA test as it is a quick and easy check. I got an unwelcome score even though I don't have any symptons other than the occasional need to pee urgently which I thought was just due to age.

One thing they didn't tell me - you mustn't ride a bike for 48 hours before a PSA test because it can screw up the results.  There are other things you shouldn't do before the test which are more obvious.

You should worry more when you can’t pee! Remember also that a lot of blokes have an enlarged prostate, not necessarily carcinogenic, which prevents peeing when you want to!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

We suffer embarrassment talking about these things , but really gents of a certain age (I think 45>) should get checked .   The PS check is a simple blood test .  If it comes back high then you may get the digit up , but wouldn't you be prepared to suffer the indignity rather than going through what Bulliedboy 100's friend has gone through .    Best wishes to him and good on Bulliedboy 100 for posting .

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

As you get older take advantage of every check you get offered. This includes the bowel cancer check which is a bit of a doozy involving taking smears of your faeces on a cardboard stick. Bit of a faff but if it gives you early indications and makes a disease treatable well worth it. 

• Agree 13

• RMweb Gold

I saw my urologist last week for my annual check. A really decent chap, he invited Sherry to sit in, but she declined, as her limited French - mine isn't wonderful - would slow things down. My most recent PSA is 1.7, down from 1.8 last year. My bladder was scanned, so I can assume nothing nasty there either, although it has had a pocket in it for more than a decade. And yes I got the finger, which confirmed the prostate is supple and has no nodules. No, that final bit isn't fun, but nor is it truly painful, and it gives peace of mind. A 71-year-old car would need a bit of maintenance and checking. So do I. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

PSA testing has alerted my GP to a raise level, and consequent scans and biopsy shows an aggressive and malignant prostate cancer, which I’m currently half way through a course of radiotherapy for.  I had no idea, and the only symptom is increased urination.  PSA may have saved me; get yourself checked, chaps!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11