Advice on coach lining transfers

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I am trying to line some coaches (crimson & cream at the moment, but BR maroon coaches are to follow).

Any advice on how to get them straight? I’ve been playing around with them but still can’t get them fully straight and all the fiddling is causing tears and damage.

I think long term I will have to get a lining pen and practice with that.

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

I have had the same issue with loco lining. I have used pressfix, water slide and I now have a bow pen and easi-liner pen.

The pressfix were easier to keep straight as the backing film held it firm until I added the transfix fluid. Its ok unless I put too much on and it floated.

I really need a lot more practice on the bow pen and easi-liner pen before I could do a decent straight line on a coach. 

Try getting the DVD from Tony Wright and Iain Rathbone - Right Track 3. It shows you how to line etc.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, yep. I’ve got that DVD so will be referring to it when I get a pen.

Hoping I could get a handle on how to use transfers in the meantime (probably won’t be getting a lining pen until Scalefour at the earliest).

B.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I am trying to line some coaches (crimson & cream at the moment, but BR maroon coaches are to follow).

Any advice on how to get them straight? I’ve been playing around with them but still can’t get them fully straight and all the fiddling is causing tears and damage.

I think long term I will have to get a lining pen and practice with that.

Thanks in advance.

You don't specify the type or make of transfers - I can only advise on the waterslide type.

Lay the dry transfer / backing paper on the model, along the line of it's final position, but approximately 10 mm. to the right.

Apply plenty of water to the transfer / backing paper, so that it forms a puddle under and around it.

Leave this for as long as it takes for the transfer to become free of the backing paper, but NOT floating on the water.

At this point, gently slide the transfer to the left, off the backing paper, until the end is in its final position.

Then, anchor the free end with a finger of your left hand, and VERY GENTLY pull the backing paper, to the right, from beneath the transfer. Don't both to try and get the transfer to conform to detail at this stage - just let it span hinges, door handles, ventilators, etc.

As the transfer will be under light tension, it should come off the backing paper in a straight line, and you can carefully adjust the pull, up or down, to keep it aligned.

Any final adjustment to the alignment can be maded with a damp brush.

Allow the transfer to dry full before applying an decal softening solution.

The essential point is to slide the backing paper from beneath the transfer, rather than sliding the transfer off the backing paper.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John.

It is water slide (not yours. I bought some fox ones before I realised you produced coach lining).

I will try your method and report back.

Much appreciated :)

• RMweb Premium

I've lined and lettered a number of BR crimson/cream coaches using the HMRS Pressfix transfer sheet for BR coach lining (https://hmrs.org.uk/transfers/br-coach-lining-up-to-including-blue-grey-period-150443.html)  Unusually for me it was much easier than I thought it would be (I'd never used Pressfix before) and I'd heartily recommend these transfers, not expensive at £8.90 including postage. I also used HMRS sheet 14 (steam loco coach and van) for lettering and numbering, again with (IMO) excellent results.  I now use Pressfix whenever possible although I've also bought some Methfix to try them out as I know that some very respectable modellers swear by them.

DT

Edited by Torper