Wentworth Junction

• RMweb Premium
On 07/07/2024 at 18:21, Michael Edge said:

This quite a sharp curve so the portals have to be quite close together but I think it looks reasonable.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks it looks far better than 'reasonable', Mike: it looks superb!

• Agree 10

And despite it being sharp, it still looks in keeping with the Woodhead route, especially into the portal, lovely squeezing down of the pantograph as the wires drop to fit within the tunnel.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The distance looks fine  to me Michael 

Here’s a picture of my late uncles of between the silkstone tunnels showing the gantry’s 

Brian 

IMG_6027.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I've set the portals as far apart as possible by laying out a straight line in the gauge (16.5mm), this just keeps the pans under the wires - they are just over 1ft apart here. I think in full size the wire runs would stay nearer the centre line. There is only one sharper curve than this and that's just the spur on to the colliery branch which only has to be long enough for an electric loco to hook on to the train off the pit.

This how it's set out on the track plan, the red line is track centre, straight black lines between the portals to keep within the track gauge - the pan heads are wider than this. I was a bit worried about the EB1 with its pan in the centre rather than over a bogie but it didn't cause any problems.

ScreenShot2024-07-09at18_49_23.png.154102532c5ab8c865784b0e17091f25.png. I

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

You'll be using an EB1 model for its intended purpose then? Far more interesting than copying the reality of sending it into exile to shunt some North of London carriage sidings

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Of course - and why not? I might run one of the EF1s as well, they were kept in store to use here and did get BR numbers. 26504 even kept its original North Eastern livery under the muck and pigeon droppings.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Of course - and why not? I might run one of the EF1s as well, they were kept in store to use here and did get BR numbers. 26504 even kept its original North Eastern livery under the muck and pigeon droppings.

Any EMUs?

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

So it did!

https://www.thetransportlibrary.co.uk/m/page/1?hits=1&per_page=25&search=26504#media_17df4fab-1a73-4cb7-8090-8970b4bc8450

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a bit less likely, i think they did try running 506 sets on the main line beyond Hadfield once although i don't think as far as Sheffield. As far as I know there were problems with overheating traction motors and the project was abandoned - running on the branch would have been even more unlikely and anyway I haven't got one....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

That's a bit less likely, i think they did try running 506 sets on the main line beyond Hadfield once although i don't think as far as Sheffield. As far as I know there were problems with overheating traction motors and the project was abandoned - running on the branch would have been even more unlikely and anyway I haven't got one....

There is a photo somewhere on the internet showing a test run 506 at Penistone, but yes they were found to be unsuitable for the longer run.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...