Hornby dublo

ddoherty958

Hi Mike,there are some repro tender tops on UK ebay at the moment,item number 223320904325

Ray.

I have bought from this seller in the past and can recommend. (Usual disclaimer.)

Edited by Il Grifone

Hi Garry;

Dublo certainly got it wrong with Bristol Castle. Your photo shows the original locomotive. On the death of King George V!. someone had the bright idea of using Windsor Castle to haul his funeral train, as he had driven this locomotive on a visit to Swindon Works in the distant past. Unfortunately she was again in Swindon for overhaul, so they thought to switch plates with another Castle on the grounds, "Nobody will notice!". 7013 was the lucky choice and unlike Coronation's trip to the States the plates were never swopped back. Unfortunately there are significant differences* between early Castles and the last series and the swop was soon spotted! (Oops!). Someone in Binns Road thought Bristol Castle was the obvious choice to head their 'Bristolian' train set, but unfortunately....

David

Apparently,BR were caught out over this subterfuge by a small boy standing on the platform who said to his father in a loud voice,"That isn`t Windsor Castle,Windsor Castle has a hydrostatic lubricator,this one`s got a mechanical lubricator".A true story i believe.

Ray.

• Like 1

I made an enquiry to Jodel models about purchasing one of these the other day but unfortunatly there aren`t any available at the moment,Apparently,the tooling is worn & they have to have at least eight orders to make it worthwhile to refurbish the tool.At the moment ,they have three advance orders so i`m hoping that they get another five.Three of us have sent a £25 returnable deposit Here`s hoping.

post-4249-0-29602900-1547349165.jpg

Ray.

• Like 2

My parents bought me this SNG new in about 1954 from a toy shop in Palmers Green,N.London.In my youth, i drilled & filed a slot in the smokebox of my  SNG in my youth.Well,i managed to fill it after all these years with a headboard with a small blob of Blutac to hold it upright.I know it`s the Flying Scotsman but it`s the only named train that existed pre & post war with Teak coaches & i`ve managed to squeeze in my TPO.

post-4249-0-09012600-1547350153_thumb.jpg

post-4249-0-38365400-1547350251_thumb.jpg

Ray

• Like 3

I made an enquiry to Jodel models about purchasing one of these the other day but unfortunatly there aren`t any available at the moment,Apparently,the tooling is worn & they have to have at least eight orders to make it worthwhile to refurbish the tool.At the moment ,they have three advance orders so i`m hoping that they get another five.Three of us have sent a £25 returnable deposit Here`s hoping.

JD4.jpg

Ray.

I imagine they mean the body tooling? The tanks are resin taken from the Kitmaster as a mould and the boiler is whitemetal again taken from the Kitmaster mould. The chassis's are newly milled brass blocks using two1/2" motors, 2-6-4 wheels, pony trucks and motion. It is a very powerful beast.

I thought they had some Neverwazza maroon ones left but I guess you wanted a true black one.

With down sizing though I sold mine last year.

Garry

Hi Garry,this the explanation from a friend,

"I have just checked with John Bann of Jodel and this is the full story:- The website is out of date. The tooling is indeed quite sad and needs a refurb BUT this and the fact we have run out of parts which all have a minimum order quantity means that if we were to make more then we would need to fork out quite a lot of up front monies and this raises the question, can we realistically expect to sell lots more? (We have sold about 150 to date!). So rather than just say “no more” or taking a risk and just hoping we don’t catch a cold, we have decided to offer a chance. To reserve your BG we seek a deposit of £25.00 and IF the total reaches 8 locos in a reasonable time we will go for it. If it doesn’t we will simply return the deposits. We have 3 takers so far. So if you are seriously interested then Google Jodel Models."

Ray.

Further to my last post the maroon one is sold out along with the first two sets but 3 other variations have a price quoted and I notice the price for the 3rd one is up £50 on the other two at £545 for the 5 pole version.

What surprises me now is that initally these were unique limited editions, there was only going to be one of each number made in BR and LMS livery in both 2 and 3 rail. With others now sold and orders taken for more I guess the limited editions are not now limited?

Garry

Hi Ray,

My last post went on as yours did and thefore reading the site is out of date explains a lot.

I know John quite well, it was he who told me he had bought out Classic collections. He also owns, or part owns, new Wrenn too. I knew of the Garratt years before production as I did some drawings for parts to be etched.

I did buy one of the first lot, ordered before production started but as I mentioned ended up selling it.

Jodel offer a saddle tank which is from the very old Tri-ang one with the tank and boiler cut off and lowered to use as a mould and fitted onto the R1 chassis.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

I have noticed that Jodel have a "Fairburn" tank at £385 yet it looks to be nothing like a Fairburn but the the Standard 4 Dublo model with the angled front frames removed and new straight handrails along with a Fairburn number. I don't think this Dublo loco is one that can easily be viewed as a different class there are too many noticeable differences. For the Fairburn mainly being the tank sides should be flat, have a slope on the top for approx half way, the front up sweep should be vertical, the footplate lower over the cylinders, the area under the smokebox should actually be recessed under it.

It is like painting the Dublo (Wrenn) in LMS, SR, WR and Caledonian liveries which were never done obviously as it was a BR design.

A while ago some tried an overlay to pass it of as a Stanier but again it looked nothing like, at least the Wills kit had a resemblance for the Stanier but made to fit a Dublo chassis.

I am all for Neverwazzas but at least they should have some resemblance to an original. My coaches might have lacked the correct ends or bogies but had the correct window design and formation etc but just made to fit Dublo parts.

My BR green streamlined Coronation was at least accurate in as much as the real one did receive a BR number albeit in black not green.

Garry

My parents bought me this SNG new in about 1954 from a toy shop in Palmers Green,N.London.In my youth, i drilled & filed a slot in the smokebox of my SNG in my youth.Well,i managed to fill it after all these years with a headboard with a small blob of Blutac to hold it upright.I know it`s the Flying Scotsman but it`s the only named train that existed pre & post war with Teak coaches & i`ve managed to squeeze in my TPO.

20190111_150502.jpg

20190111_150534.jpg

Ray

Ray,

What about the Hook Continental, East Anglian etc? These were LNER named trains that also ran in BR days which would have had teak coaches then their repainted BR versions. There was also possibly the Scarborough Flyer but that may have been BR only, I just thought I had seen the headboard in the LNER style with white background somewhere? There were a few named LNER trains but not usually A4 hauled and others were Pullmans or SilverJubilee not teak etc.

Just found some LNER photos of the Scarborough Flier, note the different spelling. Also a photo of a BR 4F hauling it which was unusual.

Garry

post-22530-0-74490300-1547380977.jpg

post-22530-0-56212500-1547380992_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-95219900-1547381014.jpg

• Like 1

My modification to SNG for a headboard involved straightening the kink in the headboard support tag and glue. Duchess of Atholl didn't need any modification. These headboards were cheap at the time (pence), but now fetch high prices. I suppose most ended up lost/ thrown out like mine. :(

Edited by Il Grifone

• 2 weeks later...

Latest purchase,converted to 3 rail now.

attachicon.gif20190118_140326.jpg

Ray.

Very nice Ray.  The Wrenn Scot I assume?  I've looked at the occasional one advertised by Hattons, John Winkley and elsewhere, but at the prices asked they didn't really fit with my preference for buying tired and less expensive items and giving them a makeover.  Not to say that I'm not tempted!

I've never studied one up close - in fact I think I've only seen one in its box in a cabinet of second-hand items in a model shop.  It looks from the photos that there is a knurled brush holder at the back of the motor in the cab, which suggests a traditional, Dublo-style, block magnet, vertical motor like the 1950s 0-6-2T, 2-6-4T, Montrose, Silver King etc.  In fact, if it's not too much of a faff, would you mind posting a photo of the chassis with the body off?  I'd personally find it interesting.

Assuming that the model uses the Dublo 8F tender moulding, are the holes for the original Dublo plunger collectors still there?  If they are, did you use them for your three-rail conversion by fitting replica plungers; or did you fit another style of collector?

On another matter, the A4 tender tops which you spotted on Ebay for me, and which were endorsed by David, arrived here a couple of days ago.  I'm very pleased with them and "Merlin" in early BR blue has now been scheduled ahead of "City of Glasgow" in my work-bench queue, after the "Barnstaple" conversion which is in its final stages.  I'll post some pictures of "Padstow" as she now is,  in a week or so.

Mike 

Edited by MikeCW

Hi Mike,

Most if not all the later 8F and Castle bases had their plunger holes filled in although depending on stock availability some older ones may have been used.

The chassis for the Scot and Spam Can were new designs by Wrenn but using the vertical upright motor as per Dublo designs. The centre axles for these two were in slots to allow a little vertical movement as all wheels were flanged and I think the front wheels were in slots too but with no vertical movement, the rear ones were in holes due to the gear mounted. This needed a keeper plate with lugs on to hold the centre wheels in place. These two locos used 2 piece couplings rods also.

Not too bad to convert to 3-rail but not straight forward like a Dublo loco.

Here are the two Wrenn chassis's

Garry

post-22530-0-88717400-1548495642_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-89865400-1548495649.jpg

Very nice Ray.  The Wrenn Scot I assume?  I've looked at the occasional one advertised by Hattons, John Winkley and elsewhere, but at the prices asked they didn't really fit with my preference for buying tired and less expensive items and giving them a makeover.  Not to say that I'm not tempted!

I've never studied one up close - in fact I think I've only seen one in its box in a cabinet of second-hand items in a model shop.  It looks from the photos that there is a knurled brush holder at the back of the motor in the cab, which suggests a traditional, Dublo-style, block magnet motor like the 1950s 0-6-2T, 2-6-4T, Montrose, Silver King etc.  In fact, if it's not too much of a faff, would you mind posting a photo of the chassis with the body off?  I'd personally find it interesting.

Assuming that the model uses the Dublo 8F tender moulding, are the holes for the original Dublo plunger collectors still there?  If they are, did you use them for your three-rail conversion by fitting replica plungers; or did you fit another style of collector?

On another matter, the A4 tender tops which you spotted on Ebay for me, and which were endorsed by David, arrived here a couple of days ago.  I'm very pleased with them and "Merlin" in early BR blue has now been scheduled ahead of "City of Glasgow" in my work-bench queue, after the "Barnstaple" conversion which is in its final stages.  I'll post some pictures of "Padstow" as she now is,  in a week or so.

Mike 

Hi Mike,standard collector assy.It`s reasonably easy loco to convert.

post-4249-0-53938400-1548496030_thumb.jpg

It does need a spacer under the collector assy which you can see in the pic.

post-4249-0-53938400-1548496030_thumb.jpg

Ray.

post-4249-0-78595800-1548497269_thumb.jpg

Edited by sagaguy

Hi Mike,standard collector assy.It`s reasonably easy loco to convert.

attachicon.gif20190118_163826 (2).jpg

It does need a spacer under the collector assy which you can see in the pic.

attachicon.gif20190118_163826 (2).jpg

Ray.

Thank you Ray.

The pictures make it clear but for one thing.  I understand your preference for keeping the two-rail collectors in place in your conversions to 3-rail, and using them as an additional path for current from the outside rails.  But where does the long bolt (which holds the 3-rail Dublo collector in place and transfers the 3rd rail current to the insulated brush via the suppressor unit) go through the chassis?

On some 2-rail locomotives, such as my "Barnstaple" and "08". the usual hole for the standard 3-rail pick up unit has the wires from the pick ups on the insulated drivers running up it.  In your photos this hole is insulated and blanked off with a piece of tape and it's not clear to me (I can be a bit slow!) how the three rail pick up is bolted to the chassis without penetrating this insulation, and possibly shorting on the former 2-rail pick-ups.

The grammar and sentence construction in this post is a bit convoluted but I think you'll get my drift.

Mike

Hopefully,this pic makes it clear.I slide a piece of heat shrink sleevig over the bolt to stop it touching the wiper p/ups.The black wire from them is soldered to the very handy solder tag screwed to the chassis.

post-4249-0-54419600-1548543963_thumb.jpg

Ray.

Edited by sagaguy

Hi Mike,

Most if not all the later 8F and Castle bases had their plunger holes filled in although depending on stock availability some older ones may have been used.

The chassis for the Scot and Spam Can were new designs by Wrenn but using the vertical upright motor as per Dublo designs. The centre axles for these two were in slots to allow a little vertical movement as all wheels were flanged and I think the front wheels were in slots too but with no vertical movement, the rear ones were in holes due to the gear mounted. This needed a keeper plate with lugs on to hold the centre wheels in place. These two locos used 2 piece couplings rods also.

Not too bad to convert to 3-rail but not straight forward like a Dublo loco.

Here are the two Wrenn chassis's

Garry

Thank you Garry

I see from your photos that Wrenn have driven the rear axle of these 4-6-0s by placing the worm forward of the gear wheel, as per the  Dublo 0-6-2T and A4,  therefore reducing the projection of the motor into the cab. Driving the rear wheels by placing the worm aft of the gear wheel creates that big rear overhang of the motor which, at least for the moderately skilled like me, rules out using the Montrose and 2-6-4T chassis under 4-6-0 conversions.

It would seem though, by comparing the Dublo A4 and 0-6-2T chassis with your photos of the Wrenn 4-6-0 chassis, that they (the Dublo ones) might be used under a 4-6-0, with wheelbase changes of course. Given the number and range of your rebuilds, I'm sure that you must have done this at some stage? 

What I hadn't realised, until I looked at a few other photos after reading your post, was that Wrenn changed the A4 chassis to position the worm drive at the back of the rear wheel, as per the LMS Pacifics.  My guess is that this was to reduce costs by having common parts where possible? Or is there another reason?

Mike     

Hopefully,this pic makes it clear.I slide a piece of heat shrink sleevig over the bolt to stop it touching the wiper p/ups.The black wire from them is soldered to the very handy solder tag screwed to the chassis.

attachicon.gif20190118_163902.jpg

Ray.

All clear now Ray.  Thank you.

Mike

Thank you Garry

I see from your photos that Wrenn have driven the rear axle of these 4-6-0s by placing the worm forward of the gear wheel, as per the Dublo 0-6-2T and A4, therefore reducing the projection of the motor into the cab. Driving the rear wheels by placing the worm aft of the gear wheel creates that big rear overhang of the motor which, at least for the moderately skilled like me, rules out using the Montrose and 2-6-4T chassis under 4-6-0 conversions.

It would seem though, by comparing the Dublo A4 and 0-6-2T chassis with your photos of the Wrenn 4-6-0 chassis, that they (the Dublo ones) might be used under a 4-6-0, with wheelbase changes of course. Given the number and range of your rebuilds, I'm sure that you must have done this at some stage?

What I hadn't realised, until I looked at a few other photos after reading your post, was that Wrenn changed the A4 chassis to position the worm drive at the back of the rear wheel, as per the LMS Pacifics. My guess is that this was to reduce costs by having common parts where possible? Or is there another reason?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Wrenn altered, or made new, a chassis to use for both A4 and Duchess. This meant that the front fixing was a screw and not a nut on the A4. If the chassis was used as an A4 then the valve gear had plastic spacers behind to hold it off the chassis, Dublo had these cast in. The rear end was made to fit the A4 body but a bracket was screwed on if used on a Duchess. This is why these are not straight forward swaps but can be modified with a little work to suit. One thing with Wrenn chassis is a lot were not blackened correctly and the black can be a darkish green colour.

I have fitted a Dublo A4 chassis into a Wrenn Spam Can and was looking at ways to do a Scot as I had a couple of bodies but started the TT before getting into it.

I will send photos tomorrow night as I am on my phone now and taking Nevaeh to Pontefract model show tomorrow, Jackie is going shopping so not left out.

Garry

Here you are Mike, a Wrenn A4 and the same chassis as a Duchess. You can see the raised boss where the spacers for the rear section of A4 valve gear fitted.

The other chassis is a Dublo A4 modified to fit a Wrenn Spam Can body.

Both the Wrenn Spam Can and Royal Scot bodies had diecast backheads as part of the main casting which also added a little extra weight to the loco.

Garry

post-22530-0-68761800-1548611738_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-75007000-1548611754_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-83447700-1548611918_thumb.jpg