DCC/Sound on a small 00 layout

I used to be totally into 00, but now have a small 1x6' 00 switching layout as well as a 2.5x6' N scale layout.  I'm thinking of, over time, converting the 00 one to DCC with sound.

Actually, I'm not that interested in DCC -- it's really sound-chipped locos that appeal to me. I'm thinking that the 00 switching layout would be the easiest and best to convert.  BTW, its track is laid but the scenery has not been finished (whereas the N scale layout is practically done).

I realize that you cannot run sound-equipped locos on a DC layout, so I need to consider DCC. It would be great to run (say) Bachmann's sound-equipped 3F tank engine on this layout.

This could be expensive but I could budget for this over time. I have 6-7 small Hornby and Bachmann locos that I run on this 00 layout. I think you can still run one additional loco in DC mode, once DCC is set up? Just exploring early ideas and suggestions. 

Rob 

DCC Sound (provided it is not too loud) is fine on a small layout but if you have small steam locos then fitting the speaker inside could be tricky, but plenty of people on here have done it and will doubtless advise.

Some sound chips do have a limited sound capability when operating in DC mode

However perceived wisdom is to NOT run a pure DC loco using the so-called DC mode that is available on some DCC controllers, but by no means all! Apparently it can do nasty things to a motor and the running quality can be suspect. It is not a proper DC voltage but a fudged version of a DCC output.

Costs, well a decent DCC non-sound chip is in the £20/£30 range, adding sound to an existing loco is much higher up torwards £100 per loco. Do avoid the cheaper chips, as on a small layout you will need decent slow running.

As to which chips and controllers .... well .... I'm not getting into that minefield.See the many threads on here! I've a small DCC exhibition layout and use a variety of chips in the £20/£25 range eg Digitrax, NCE, TCS, Zimo, Lenz and some others all of which do what I want them to do. I've had unhappy results with some of these ten chips packs.

Controllers, I use and like an NCE Powercab, it does all that I want if I'm tweaking chips and generally digging into CVs occasionally. They are in the £150 class at present, there are cheaper manufacturers at under £100, but do read the threads/posts on here. Views are mixed to say the least! Do try before you buy, everyone has their favourite.

HTH

John

• Like 1

DCC Sound (provided it is not too loud) is fine on a small layout but if you have small steam locos then fitting the speaker inside could be tricky, but plenty of people on here have done it and will doubtless advise.

Some sound chips do have a limited sound capability when operating in DC mode

However perceived wisdom is to NOT run a pure DC loco using the so-called DC mode that is available on some DCC controllers, but by no means all! Apparently it can do nasty things to a motor and the running quality can be suspect. It is not a proper DC voltage but a fudged version of a DCC output.

Costs, well a decent DCC non-sound chip is in the £20/£30 range, adding sound to an existing loco is much higher up torwards £100 per loco. Do avoid the cheaper chips, as on a small layout you will need decent slow running.

As to which chips and controllers .... well .... I'm not getting into that minefield.See the many threads on here! I've a small DCC exhibition layout and use a variety of chips in the £20/£25 range eg Digitrax, NCE, TCS, Zimo, Lenz and some others all of which do what I want them to do. I've had unhappy results with some of these ten chips packs.

Controllers, I use and like an NCE Powercab, it does all that I want if I'm tweaking chips and generally digging into CVs occasionally. They are in the £150 class at present, there are cheaper manufacturers at under £100, but do read the threads/posts on here. Views are mixed to say the least! Do try before you buy, everyone has their favourite.

HTH

John

Thanks, John!  So it is possible to run a DC sound-equipped loco on a DC layout, although you'd get limited sound? Cheers, Rob

• RMweb Gold

NON TTS sound chips will run with certain limitations on a DC layout, however....

1,) Generally DCC sound chips have the DC function disabled so you will need someone with a DCC system to enable the CV for you

2,) You will have no function control (so no whistles fireman shovelling etc etc)

3,) You will only have sound while the model is moving so you wont have sound when stationary

NON TTS sound chips will run with certain limitations on a DC layout, however....

1,) Generally DCC sound chips have the DC function disabled so you will need someone with a DCC system to enable the CV for you

2,) You will have no function control (so no whistles fireman shovelling etc etc)

3,) You will only have sound while the model is moving so you wont have sound when stationary

Thanks.  These are all helpful points.  So, if I were to buy a sound equipped loco from a retailer (i.e. Hattons), maybe someone there could enable the CV for me before shipping (as I live in Canada).  

I believe you will find running DCC sound locos on DC quite limiting. It is not the 'auto' sounds I find more interesting but the 'manual' ones such as injector, safety valve, coal shovelling etc. You may also want to play with settings because the sound is out of sync with the wheel rotation. You can configure this with some sound chips, but you'll need DCC to do so.

& on the odd occasion, it is nice to be able to sound the whistle when you want.

Many projects also have variable exhaust beats, so you can soften it when running light then sharpen it to simulate a heavy load. DC will not allow you access/adjust most (or even any) of these.

Steam locos also sit there hissing away when idle but with DC, you lose this altogether. If you also have some diesels or may be tempted to run some, then idling, spirax valves, exhauster & cooling fan are just some of the features unavailable with DC.

Green Diesel,   Hi, as you live in canada, have a look at MTH, locos.  They run on DC, as well as DCC, with sound. john

Thanks! -- but do they sell 00 British outline locos? Rob

Edited by GreenDiesel

Contrary to what has been said above (although most of the advice and information is correct), you can keep the sound running on DC, with care and finesse in your control techniques. Below a certain voltage, the sound will cut out; keep the controller set on or above that voltage, and the loco will produce sound while standing still (steam hiss, diesel idle). The cut-off voltage will vary slightly from one loco to the next, meaning it is not entirely practical to put a mark on the controller where that cut-off is. A problem occurs when going from forward to reverse if you have a rotary knob centre off controller, as you have to go through the stretch of no (or insufficient) voltage output; if you have continuous type, either rotary or slider, with a toggle switch for forward or reverse then keeping the sound going on DC becomes less challenging.

Having said all that, it is still more of a challenge and more limiting to use the sound on DC. Much better and more practical, as well as more rewarding, to go the DCC route.

For a shunting layout, DCC will give more finesse to the control of the locomotives, with the ability to tweak the settings for each individual locomotive, as well as being able to park more than one loco anywhere you like on the layout without having to isolate sections.

Almost all the decoders I've fitted have DC enabled by default - there may be exceptions. If it's not and you need to enable it you need to add 4 to the value in CV29. If you're only gouing to run on DCC most locos will perform noticably better with DC turned off in CV29.

You'll likely get better running and sound by going DCC and the NCE Powercab will be more that adequate for your layout.