Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Packaging madness

Look what has just arrived from Hatton's....

28532078637_98f39b8396_c.jpg

The item is that little package on the left - it would fit comfortably in an ordinary envelope. 

Aren't we supposed to be cutting down on unnecessary packaging, especially plastic?

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Recently purchased eBay Bachmann pannier in original box came in packet about 4x the size, mostly bubble wrap of which I approve, but it was so encased in brown tape I had to take a knife to it to gain access; no way I'd have ever got in there with just my bare hands...

But I'd rather have an item over- than under-packed any day!

Possibly standardization of box sizes etc. too. Easier (and quicker) to put everything (that will fit) into one type of box and add packing as required rather than rummaging around for a suitably sized box.

The boxes can be stored flat then be re-assembled for ebay dispatch at a later date....

The bubble wrap has a shock absorbing value when the parcel is entered into the mini shot putt competition during transit.

For me the emphasis is on re-use of the packaging.  The trendy word is 'up-cycle'

• Like 1

For me the emphasis is on re-use of the packaging. The trendy word is 'up-cycle'

As in “yep, if I slap some brick paper round this cardboard it’s the perfect size for a new platform toilet block”?

Edit: I’m yet to think of a scale use for bubble wrap, a field of bean-bags maybe?

Edited by Thunderforge

• RMweb Premium

I ordered 3 8 pin decoders from Hattons & a Hornby TTS decoder from Rails of Sheffield, both orders could have gone in jiffy bags and the postman could have put them through the letterbox.

They both came in boxes the size of the OP's posting and the postman had to leave a card as we weren't in and they obviously wouldn't go through the letterbox.

We collected them from the sorting office the next day. So inconvenience and delay.

I re-use jiffy bags, so no problem with waste.

Rob

I remember ordering a Limited Edition Bachmann class 25 through model rail years ago , it came in a jiffy bag type padded envelope.

Befter too much packing than not enough , would be more inconvenience and delay if items arrived damaged!

• RMweb Gold

The other thing I note is that most jiffy type bags have a plastic liner/air bubbles bonded to the paper outer, meaning the same number of materials as the ops’ picture, and more difficult to separate(if at all) at a recycling plant when ultimately disposed of....

• RMweb Premium

Of course the best solution to too much or not enough packaging is to buy your stuff form your local model shop.

"But I live miles from my nearest shop".....so do I.

"What about all the pollution if we all drove to our nearest shop"......Mrs M moans about the petrol I have used as it cost more than the postage if I got it mail order. 

We can't win.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

For me the emphasis is on re-use of the packaging.  The trendy word is 'up-cycle'

I just received a package from Contikits. From the labels the box had been used at least three times previously. Full marks for recycling. Now who can I send it on to?

Tony

The boxes can be stored flat then be re-assembled for ebay dispatch at a later date....

The bubble wrap has a shock absorbing value when the parcel is entered into the mini shot putt competition during transit.

Indeed. Most of the boxes, envelopes etc we receive  get  given to a colleague who deals in parts for old Peugeots.

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad it's not just me!

I just think Hatton's would save themselve a ton of money if they invest in a few jiffy bags.

Peter

If they buy in the same volumes and prices I do for the warehouse at work they would have saved around 6p on your order in packaging costs by using a Jiffy bag....

Any real savings would only be achieved if they are reliant on a Royal Mail letter/large letter/small parcel/parcel pricing structure and very little if still on an older average weight price structure.

Some couriers won't take Jiffy Bags and Royal Mail don't particularly like them.

By using a standard size box then you are able to stack them in the back of a lorry. They also fit on conveyer belts at the warehouse. Using Jiffy Bags then you are well into hand sorting and need to use bags to transport them. So you have to employ more people to do the work, then the cost goes up. Then everyone complains about the price of a stamp.

It's also easier for the staff to pick the items from the warehouse. You take a box and fill it.

It's also worth considering how many parcels Hattons and others are distributing every day. It's not like they are sending out twenty items in Jiffy Bags, they are processing thousands of items a day. Most of it goes to Warrington MC in the back of lorries. I know as I used to work there.

Jason

I had an private ebayer seller send me two Lima boxed coaches. The only ‘packaging’ was cling film wrapped around the two boxes to make a parcel! The models arrived intacted. The ploystrene and cardboard on the boxes still in good condition.

My local post office must not be into ball sports!!

• RMweb Premium

I don't work for the Royal Mail or any of the parcels companies but I am finding this thread quite anti their staff. Treating them if they are uncaring about our toy trains.

We are all experts in packing things. Hands up all of you who have never got the shopping home to find the rice bag leaking, the broken egg, and the dented tin, when all were 100% when you took them off the shelf? Accidents happen even when care is being taken.

• Like 2

Edit: I’m yet to think of a scale use for bubble wrap, a field of bean-bags maybe?

Don't know a scale use, but when a vital yet tiny component pings off my model into the darkest recesses of the room for the third time I swear this thing is cursed, it's quite therapeutic to pop the bubbles...