Brass paint?

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Brass paint - I have yet to find a paint that looks like brass. The Humbrol enamel efforts are horrible to use and neither the enamel or acrylic versions look much like brass; or at least not polished brass.

On the other hand, I find Humbol Metalcote, enamel paints to be really good for polished metal but they don't do a brass one. The other paints that I like to use are Tamiya acrylics but, as far as I know, they don't do a brass colour at all.

I am wanting it to paint things such as domes, safety valve covers, boiler fittings etc. where it would be polished, hence why a Metalcote in brass would be good.

Does anyone have any reccomendations?

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Phoenix/Precision produce the best bar none Brass, Copper, Steel and Oily Steel enamel paints, for both brushing and spraying.

post-17779-0-24916700-1531511019.jpg

For Acrylics try Citadel....  their Burnished Gold is an excellent `brass`

Cheers

John

Edited by ROSSPOP

Hi All,

For most small bits and pieces I use Vallejo acrylics and they do a really good brass, copper and a number of other metallics if that helps.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Why not use brass fittings and polish. Fit after painting but before the lacquer coat. Nothing looks more like brass than brass.

Well thats not always an option, as nice as it would be. Especially for us working in larger scales where a brass casting would cost quite a bit.

Ive actually just bought some Alclad brass paint to test, as Ive read good things, though apparently fiddly.

Real brass tends to tarnish, I find, though it is the best solution (like real coal for tenders etc.). I use a gold fibre tip pen which goes on easily and with precision, but you do need a deent quality one. The pound shop ones are best left on the shelf!

The silver ones are good for chrome on road vehicles.

Edited by Il Grifone

Yes it does tarnish, that's why I said to lacquer it. Plus if brass is polished well it tends to take a longer time to tarnish. Keeping fingers off helps more than anything.

I larger scales I find paint looks like paint, and you really need to use the appropriate metals.

If you can get it Floquil’s brass paint is excellent. The pigments are very finely ground but unfortunately the solvent/carrier is xylene which melts untreated plastic and is not good for the lungs in confined spaces.

Cheers,

David

I use Revell Aquacolour 'brass' paint and it looks ok to my eyes. Mind you I have only used it for 00 carriage grab and door handles so far, and those are tiny areas to cover. 

If you can get it Floquil’s brass paint is excellent. The pigments are very finely ground but unfortunately the solvent/carrier is xylene which melts untreated plastic and is not good for the lungs in confined spaces.

Cheers,

David

Floquil is discontinued although you might still find the odd bottle for sale.