Scottish Region class 08's Green Livery 1970?

Depending upon how desperate you are, I could dig out some of my earlier notebooks and see what else I can come up with?

Mike.

Thanks Mike, no desperation thankfully, basically my reason for posting is to give my green Hornby 08 a "1970ish Glasgowish" identity hence the need for photos, in order to try to get it reasonably correct; thus the number needs to match the body style (no door hinges or compressor box at front on right side and earlier style cab doors). So having details of locos known to be in the area around this time is of great use for online searches for photos - the 08's did not seem to generate as much enthusiasm among photographers as the main line classes around this time possibly.

Having said that, any photos of 08s around this time or a little later (Scotland or not) are great for showing "typical" weathering of the period and unusual livery embelishments etc.

So please keep them coming! You can never have too much information!

Thanks for sharing those pics, more good information there, particularly in regards to weathering!

If I get around to doing an 06 in green 64B, that is a likely contender!

Billy A's 08 photo is of interest particularly as it demonstrates that at least one green 08 received yellow bufferbeams vice red. I have a photo of a 31 taken at almost exactly the same spot about 5 years later somewhere!

Quite a lot of green 350s had yellow buffer beams and buffers.

Thanks Mike, no desperation thankfully, basically my reason for posting is to give my green Hornby 08 a "1970ish Glasgowish" identity hence the need for photos, in order to try to get it reasonably correct; thus the number needs to match the body style (no door hinges or compressor box at front on right side and earlier style cab doors). So having details of locos known to be in the area around this time is of great use for online searches for photos - the 08's did not seem to generate as much enthusiasm among photographers as the main line classes around this time possibly.

Having said that, any photos of 08s around this time or a little later (Scotland or not) are great for showing "typical" weathering of the period and unusual livery embelishments etc.

So please keep them coming! You can never have too much information!

I have trawled my Brush Veteran Flickr site to see what may be in the background in some of my Scottish slides and have come across two, which I am going to re-scan to get a better view of the number. One of them is definitely D3241 taken at Ferryhill in Aug 72 . The main subject in this picture is 5347 (slide 2127) but the 08 is parked behind. The other image is at Glasgow works, again behind another loco. I will see if I can re-scan these tomorrow and I'll try and post them on here.

I have trawled my Brush Veteran Flickr site to see what may be in the background in some of my Scottish slides and have come across two, which I am going to re-scan to get a better view of the number. One of them is definitely D3241 taken at Ferryhill in Aug 72 . The main subject in this picture is 5347 (slide 2127) but the 08 is parked behind. The other image is at Glasgow works, again behind another loco. I will see if I can re-scan these tomorrow and I'll try and post them on here.

That would be really great, thanks for taking the time! And for all the inspirational photos that have helped in my various projects, simply superb!

That would be really great, thanks for taking the time! And for all the inspirational photos that have helped in my various projects, simply superb!

The other locomotive I have identified as D4095 (65A) which was taken at Glasgow Works in August 1970. It has the crest on the battery box. D3241 which I photographed at Aberdeen Ferryhill in August 1972 was by then allocated to 64B having previously been at 52A. I apologise for the scans being very grainy but blowing into Kodak Instamatic transparencies is pushing the boundaries somewhat!

post-4697-0-95389100-1531393617_thumb.jpgpost-4697-0-43142100-1531393640_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The other locomotive I have identified as D4095 (65A) which was taken at Glasgow Works in August 1970. It has the crest on the battery box. D3241 which I photographed at Aberdeen Ferryhill in August 1972 was by then allocated to 64B having previously been at 52A. I apologise for the scans being very grainy but blowing into Kodak Instamatic transparencies is pushing the boundaries somewhat!

img004.jpg img003.jpg

Many thanks for posting those close ups!

Interesting that D4095 should crop up, this was new to Fort William Shed in August 1961, but was transferred to Inverness in November that year, D4096 arrived at Fort William in September '61 but was also transferred to Inverness in November.  D4097 arrived to replace these two and was joined by D4098 in July 1962, D4097 went to Perth in 1968 and D4098 to Eastfield in 1970.

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit

Stumbled across a very useful Hiveminer page with lots of green locos that received TOPS numbering, including a better shot of 08566 (D3733) post fire at Eastfield; this loco also had yellow bufferbeams and looks like TOPS numbers applied on a BR blue painted panel; unclear whether the Crest was on the engine compt door or on the toolbox annoyingly!

Also there are a couple of class 02's with TOPS numbering in there.

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/greentops%2Cloco