• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 57xx said:

Looking great Chris. That Vallejo 'Concrete' is a good colour for representing wood!

It won’t be that colour by time I’ve finished weathering it but I find it’s a good base and as you say a good representation of new untreated timber. It looks closer to timber than concrete 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Floor fitted, top edge masked and interior airbrushed with Vallejo ‘concrete’

IMG_0247.jpeg.10bf2df3840264316cd91ba1405307ce.jpeg

Interior masked off and exterior airbrushed with Vallejo ‘Panzer grey’

IMG_0249.jpeg.11ad56fdd7eda5759426952e23e55e6f.jpeg

The T3 had Thomas Brakes with a crank handle each side at one end. These were made using Markits WD handrail knobs and brass rod

IMG_0248.jpeg.9c96dc32da98964bc989e5f98b4b2849.jpeg

Test fit

IMG_0250.jpeg.63996e78d025e7a016a324494ef0750d.jpeg

To be continued….

Lovely print and build, Chris. And good to see the Thomas brake modelled. It is not my impression that the Thoams brakes lasted that long before replacement, though. But I may be wrong. What period are you aiming at for this one?

Edited by Mikkel
To clarify
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Lovely print and build, Chris. And good to see the Thomas brake modelled. It is not my imperssion that they lasted that long before replacement, though. But I may be wrong. What period are you aiming at for this one?

Thank you

I like to try and make sure anything I produce is as good a quality as I can and also make sure all the print supports are removed before curing so that only a little bit of sanding is required.

Nothing worse than receiving a print with the supports still attached after being fully cured because they can be very difficult to remove without causing damage.

I made the mistake of originally ignoring the Thomas brake and designed it for DC brakes

IMG_0135.jpeg.60dda6685c5faf415a85e44dd0abc267.jpeg

But with the help of @MrWolf and@Bluemonkey presents.... providing some very useful photos the T3 was in fact fitted with Thomas brakes but as you rightly say it wasn't a system that lasted long

I obviously sent anyone who had previously bought an incorrect design a correct replacement FOC

Neither myself or Bluemonkey could find any evidence that the T3 was converted to DC brakes, however the T4 was virtually identical other than being slightly wider and modified to suit DCIII brakes

As for dates I believe the T3 was originally built in 1896-1901 (22 in total) and the T4 followed in 1907-1908 (only 2 in total) so both versions are far too early for my layout being based in the mid thirties but ‘Warren Branch’ is fictional so I’m sure I could come up with a valid excuse plausible reason for them to have one….maybe?…..rule 1

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris. I have a plan to some day build a layout showing the rebuilding of Farthing station. I suppose this sort of wagon wouldn't be amiss in such a situation...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/06/2024 at 14:45, chuffinghell said:

As for dates I believe the T3 was originally built in 1896-1901 (22 in total) and the T4 followed in 1907-1908 (only 2 in total) so both versions are far too early for my layout being based in the mid thirties but ‘Warren Branch’ is fictional so I’m sure I could come up with a valid excuse plausible reason for them to have one….maybe?…..rule 1

I'm sure the T3's probably lasted 30 odd years. If in doubt, you could widen the body for a T4 or T7, or even widen the body and change the trussing to angle instead of bar for a T9/10 (latter with self-contained buffers).

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I'm sure the T3's probably lasted 30 odd years. If in doubt, you could widen the body for a T4 or T7, or even widen the body and change the trussing to angle instead of bar for a T9/10 (latter with self-contained buffers).

These are being researched, however, I’m unable to find photos of the T4 (probably because only two were made) so not sure about the transfers required

I’m thinking of doing the T5 at some point

As far as the T9/10 I would first have to source suitable buffer heads that are readily available

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

These are being researched, however, I’m unable to find photos of the T4 (probably because only two were made) so not sure about the transfers required

I’m thinking of doing the T5 at some point

As far as the T9/10 I would first have to source suitable buffer heads that are readily available

The T9 would be the same buffers as the others. For the T10 the best bet would be for self contained buffers would be Dave Frank's ones from Lanarkshire Model Supplies. They would just need a 2mm hole in the buffer beam.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 57xx said:

ones from Lanarkshire Model Supplies. They would just need a 2mm hole in the buffer beam.

Not a big fan of white metal castings so I’d rather it be part of the print and only requiring steel buffer heads

but out of interest which one specifically?

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately being on holiday allows my mind to wonder too much and I wondered if I could do my CC2 in O gauge, I don’t know why?…

IMG_9028.jpeg.09a980b557c4edf4fcc87d30026605f4.jpeg

…Although I didn’t realise how much more expensive wheel sets are for O gauge which is kinda putting me off

No doubt this thought will be rattling around in my head until I talk myself out of it 🤪

It’s strange because usually when we come to Wales I start wanting to model narrow gauge, O-16.5 perhaps?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 12

14 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I wondered if I could do my CC2 in O gauge, I don’t know why?…

…Although I didn’t realise how much more expensive wheel sets are for O gauge which is kinda putting me off

No doubt this thought will be rattling around in my head until I talk myself out of it 🤪

Yep everything is at least twice as plenty plus 5%.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Yep everything is at least twice as plenty plus 5%.

A bit unfair for those modelling O gauge.

The wheels are 4.5 times the price of the equivalent in OO gauge!….scandalous!