• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve had second thoughts

B862B07D-4DD9-4818-9442-AF27197276F9.jpeg.77406f4b5781425b92521ef1e07b395b.jpeg

Fingers crossed no loose material has been disturbed 😳

Traditionally, we have our roast tomorrow.....

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

The water is looking really good Chris, I had the same struggle as you, to cover or not to cover. In the end I covered the entire valley in bin liner.

I see that you went full tinfoil hat. Don't blame you, we can't have "them" reading our brainwaves...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Traditionally, we have our roast tomorrow.....

No roast for us tomorrow, I’ve used the last of the foil….oops

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The water is looking really good Chris, I had the same struggle as you, to cover or not to cover. In the end I covered the entire valley in bin liner.

I see that you went full tinfoil hat. Don't blame you, we can't have "them" reading our brainwaves...

I saved enough for a hat too

15D5BAEC-46EB-49FA-9BE8-0E570F9556DA.jpeg.b668d441b1a0aa7c5b34b37ec8d31197.jpeg

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I’ve lost count how often I’ve watched @richard w’s YouTube videos of his canal scene on Everard Junction before I was brave enough to pour.

Richard’s videos are definitely worth a watch 

I’ve only done one layer though as I hoped that tinting the ‘water’ would give the illusion of depth

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

1C640090-0EB3-43E6-84EB-6DE49D9159A2.jpeg.37a80f2a62451928e58101445ec7f663.jpeg

0933DB02-2D26-4EFF-A4B0-00DD04AA6CD2.jpeg.128acc8e32ef211956c721b6a4eb36f5.jpeg

Sexy! When you've recovered from the stress, a quick post of what you did and what you learned would be much appreciated...

Some of us can't make any progress until we've been shown the way by a Master!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Schooner said:

Some of us can't make any progress until we've been shown the way by a Master!

Nice of you to say but it still has to cure yet

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I’d say that the ripples are an added bonus.  That will look much more realistic than a mirror smooth surface.

That’s true, if anyone asks it’s always a windy day at Warren

I have spotted a tiny bubble so there might be a duck on the canal next to it, I could be the first to model a duck f@rt 😆

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

That’s true, if anyone asks it’s always a windy day at Warren

I have spotted a tiny bubble so there might be a duck on the canal next to it, I could be the first to model a duck f@rt 😆

Here you go Chris, ducks to cover those annoying bubbles https://seriousplayscenics.com/products/serious-play-00-scale-ducks-sitting-swimming-resin-animals

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately I’m going to have to redesign and remake the dumb barge so it appears to sit lower in the water

As it is at the moment it’s too tall as I originally designed it to have the water poured in around it

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Unfortunately I’m going to have to redesign and remake the dumb barge so it appears to sit lower in the water

As it is at the moment it’s too tall as I originally designed it to have the water poured in around it

That's a shame, especially after all your brilliant painting detail. Could the bottom of the barge be sanded down level instead, maybe using a belt sander held in a vice with the bottom of the barge being gradually removed by being held flat against the moving belt, H&S disclaimers - watch those fingers and also helps if you have a belt sander.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MAP66 said:

That's a shame, especially after all your brilliant painting detail. Could the bottom of the barge be sanded down level instead, maybe using a belt sander held in a vice with the bottom of the barge being gradually removed by being held flat against the moving belt, H&S disclaimers - watch those fingers and also helps if you have a belt sander.

Possibly but 3D resin prints are very brittle so it would most likely shatter, plus it needs to be virtually cut in half

At worst case I just won’t bother with the dumb barge

I have the narrow boat exiting the tunnel so at least I have something on the water

• Friendly/supportive 6

You can of course have the dumb barge sitting very high in the water because it's virtually empty? Or did you plan to have the hold sitting in a recess cut in the board? 

Still doable, given your tenacity (read obstinacy!) 😉

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You can of course have the dumb barge sitting very high in the water because it's virtually empty? Or did you plan to have the hold sitting in a recess cut in the board? 

Still doable, given your tenacity (read obstinacy!) 😉

Whatever I decide to do will involve designing/printing another.

I wish I’d made the canal deeper really but as it’s my first proper layout I’m learning as I go.

There are loads I’d do differently but I know I really should finish what I’ve started before doing something else.

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Graham T said:

I’d say that the ripples are an added bonus.  That will look much more realistic than a mirror smooth surface.

Small ripples, the sort where a breeze ruffles the water surface, move slowly, so you can get away with them not moving to some extent; smooth flat water surfaces are probably more appropriate for very sheltered locations, perhaps canal locks. 

• Agree 3

37 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Whatever I decide to do will involve designing/printing another.

An irritation, but not the end of the world. Would be a PITA if you'd scratch built it from a couple of basic dimensions.

I wish I’d made the canal deeper really but as it’s my first proper layout I’m learning as I go.

It's a very impressive prototype / test piece in that case!

There are loads I’d do differently but I know I really should finish what I’ve started before doing something else.

I think that I can relate to that......

There's a whole thread I wrote somewhere on here.... 

30 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Small ripples, the sort where a breeze ruffles the water surface, move slowly, so you can get away with them not moving to some extent; smooth flat water surfaces are probably more appropriate for very sheltered locations, perhaps canal locks. 

We've just been out cycling beside the canal, as steady breeze facing us on the way out and the canal surface had light ripples that made it look almost corrugated.

• Like 1