• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I don't use Shapeways anymore due to their daylight robbery constant unjustified price increases and their extortionate high postage costs since Brexit it was cheaper to buy my own printer

It's all the EU's own fault. If they had taken the threat of us leaving and treated Cameron with a bit more respect by giving us a better deal if we stayed I don't think we would have voted to leave. The truth is it don't cost anything like what the EU companies are charging for postage they are just punishing us for leaving coz now their countries are having to pay more into the kitty.

Regards Lez.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

We dug our own hole really, Cameron was under pressure from anti EU groups and realised his only chance of reelection was to promise a referendum.

Safe in the knowledge of course that the enlightened and informed were telling him that it would be a landslide for remain so no contingencies were set up in the event of the great unwashed voting out.

In or out, the man in the street would only feel the effects of any negative after shocks.

• Agree 1

Back to the Toad (rather than those in the assorted Toad Halls around the world)

What are your thoughts on attachment of the footboards?

This may be a daft question because I haven't been able to study a brake van more modern than Bachmann's reissue of the old Mainline job.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Back to the Toad (rather than those in the assorted Toad Halls around the world)

What are your thoughts on attachment of the footboards?

This may be a daft question because I haven't been able to study a brake van more modern than Bachmann's reissue of the old Mainline job.

I’m going to attempt to print them as part of the chassis, probably won’t work but “he who dares wins Rodney”

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Hi Simon

It was printed using an Anycubic Photon Mono SLA resin Printer

I don't use Shapeways anymore due to their daylight robbery constant unjustified price increases and their extortionate high postage costs since Brexit it was cheaper to buy my own printer

You can (and sometimes do) still get visible layer lines but they tend to be less noticeable

Chris

How long did it take to print?

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, John Besley said:

How long did it take to print?

Just the body was an embarrassing 24hrs but only because I printed it with a layer thickness of 0.01mm at 0.05mm it would have only taken about 5hrs

The chassis was about the same

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

1st print of prototype #1

CF47C763-AA6E-4CCE-BDFB-EEC17E2B6B33.jpeg.727871149d24822a18e3f06f50dfb685.jpeg

I’ve not cleaned it up properly because this was just to test the principal

Printed with a layer thickness of 0.05mm for speed. Once I’m happy with it I’ll print the final one with thinner layers

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Just the body was an embarrassing 24hrs but only because I printed it with a layer thickness of 0.01mm at 0.05mm it would have only taken about 5hrs

The chassis was about the same

Interesting so apart from the CAD design time how much did the actual cast / print cost?

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Interesting so apart from the CAD design time how much did the actual cast / print cost?

To be honest I have no clue, I suppose when you’re making something for yourself you don’t tend to keep track of costs….well I don’t, if I did I think I’d scare myself out of the hobby 😆

I could possibly work it out based on the amount of resin used etc

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Printed with a layer thickness of 0.05mm for speed. Once I’m happy with it I’ll print the final one with thinner layers

Top stuff Chris, this could spell the end of cut and shut Ratio Toads. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, lezz01 said:

It's all the EU's own fault. If they had taken the threat of us leaving and treated Cameron with a bit more respect by giving us a better deal if we stayed I don't think we would have voted to leave. The truth is it don't cost anything like what the EU companies are charging for postage they are just punishing us for leaving coz now their countries are having to pay more into the kitty.

Regards Lez.

Without wishing to turn this into an off topic eurotrash debate, it comes down to the individual company. This year I've had deliveries from Poland where the postage cost was on a par from within the U.K. 

Same with a book delivery from Germany.  I'm about to place a repeat order to Poland so we'll see if it remain consistent. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Um...........whilst I'm not in a position to confirm or deny if I would be or would not be interested in a short wheelbase Toady which may or may not be 'needed' for a vaguely  possible 'project' which I may or may not be contemplating, I may well be watching this with 'interest'..............

I don't suppose this would be one of those 'outside frame' Toads would it......? 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Oddly enough, I was quoting only last night from "The Framing Of The Toad" by William Shakespeare...

The last one was withdrawn from the GWR around 1934, but others survived on some well known light railways.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

So would that be like the MoD who don't comment on active operations incase it jeopardises the mission.

I'm not in a position to confirm or deny that at this stage. 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I suppose technically I can already do that

AC92034C-E862-46C1-970A-D0A9C7E5E394.jpeg.571c1074c60485cfd3b4901572147c9a.jpeg

3D printed Loriot L with 3D printed load and 3D printed PT Way Brake

You really are a very clever fellow.  Hat is well and truly off!

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Um...........whilst I'm not in a position to confirm or deny if I would be or would not be interested in a short wheelbase Toady which may or may not be 'needed' for a vaguely  possible 'project' which I may or may not be contemplating, I may well be watching this with 'interest'..............

I don't suppose this would be one of those 'outside frame' Toads would it......? 

Rob. 

If you are referring to the wooden AA16? unfortunately not, however…….

…..never say never

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

If you are referring to the wooden AA16? unfortunately not, however…….

…..never say never

Perhaps, in the interim, you good do a short instructional vidjoe. 

You could get some tips from this one. 

Champion. 

Rob. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

Sorry Rob I got confused looking at the gwr.org page on brake vans

I thought the AA16 had a wooden chassis but having looked again (and read instead of looking at the photos) am I right in thinking the AA16 had a steel chassis but retained the 'chunky' wooden body construction

PS I will work on making a martial arts video as soon as I can..........once I've learned Karate which might take a while 🤣

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The outside frame van is a bit of a weird one. Original ones c1885 had wooden frames, superceded by various developments of channel iron frames, initially what was called Bulb Iron.

PS It is more effective to learn art of automatic pistol if you are in a hurry, grasshopper...

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The outside frame van is a bit of a weird one. Original ones c1885 had wooden frames, superceded by various developments of channel iron frames, initially what was called Bulb Iron.

PS It is more effective to learn art of automatic pistol if you are in a hurry, grasshopper...

Trying to get me to understand something is like hitting your head against a concrete block to be fair

• Funny 2