The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

It's hot!

Torper

• RMweb Gold

Had a cracking day here in Shetland, wall to wall sunshine and it was HOT .... 

Temperature almost got to 61F.

Likewise here in the Orkney Archipelago. Very pleasant sitting at the modelling bench in the conservatory overlooking Scapa Flow! All the sun without the angst.

Terry  

• Like 5

Here in the far North West of England (land of becks, tarns and lakes let alone the highest annual rain fall in England) we have just been warned that if we don't reduce our water usage a hose pipe ban will be invoked as early as next week. Its only been sunny for a week and United Utilities are running short?

It doesn't bode well for the dryer areas of the county. We'll all have to drink beer instead, I hear you say, but there's a problem there as well - no CO2

Guy

• RMweb Premium

. . . . if we don't reduce our water usage a hose pipe ban will be invoked as early as next week. Its only been sunny for a week and United Utilities are running short?

It doesn't bode well for the dryer areas of the county.

Locally areas of Derbyshire have no water and are relying on bottled supplies. However in a local radio report Severn-Trent Water say that their reservoirs are 90% full and the problem is capacity at the treatment plants where they can't process the water fast enough to cope with demand resulting in air locks in the pipes which take a while to clear.

Here in the far North West of England (land of becks, tarns and lakes let alone the highest annual rain fall in England) we have just been warned that if we don't reduce our water usage a hose pipe ban will be invoked as early as next week. Its only been sunny for a week and United Utilities are running short?

It doesn't bode well for the dryer areas of the county. We'll all have to drink beer instead, I hear you say, but there's a problem there as well - no CO2

Guy

Don't panic...

The Redcar CO2 plant re-commenced production yesterday. 

Don't wish for that you know once it starts it doesn't know when to stop and then you'll be complaining of flooding and surface water ! 

nah water we  can cope with just need this fire damping down seven days of smoke haze and smell is not fun place is like silent hill can not thank the firefighters army mountain rescue and all the others who have battled to keep us all safe this week really brought this community together 

• Like 1

27% and a scorcher here in carrbrook hottest day off the week now the smoke has largely cleared tuesday and wednesday nights were not fun trying to sleep with having  the windows closed since sunday can we have some proper Manchester weather please to damp this down 

As long as it's reasonably dry throughout August. I've recce'd out where your nephew is getting hitched; it's a bit exposed!

We'll all have to drink beer instead, I hear you say, but there's a problem there as well - no CO2

Proper beer produces its own CO2 in the barrel (or the bottle)

Edited by 62613

As long as it's reasonably dry throughout August. I've recce'd out where your nephew is getting hitched; it's a bit exposed!

bro advice taken 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Guy

Yes, I was going to say that I think that maybe the 'authorities' need to take note of what is happening. A week of no rain and Severn Trent have a Hosepipe Ban already and advice to only take shorter showers (sorry mate my nozzle only reaches down to 4'6" so that's tough). So many more houses are to be built and the storage/supply/processing situation needs sorting pretty damn quick.

The forecast here in North Notts is for two more weeks without precipitation and we are not over housed but on warnings already. Down south where I used to live, near Gatwick, the house building spread is huge and the infrastructure was already groaning in 2002! There will be bigm problems down there unless they get to pay more for their supplies or the Suppliers get a grip and spend on improvements and expansion.

Demands have outstripped supply by the looks of things withy this processing as mentioned above and people waste water anyway. Just watch the obsessive car cleaners tarting up their boxes as soon as there is a spec of dust on them. Average temps here are at about 28* and that is to be repeated for a long period so they say (see above). That's not too hot, however having had a wonderful allotment growing season until now, it could be a disaster for commercial growers without extraction sources/licences. 

Anyway, if it's yellow let it mellow but if it's brown then flush it down. :sarcastichand:

Also worth doing the old trick of putting a water 'saver' in the cistern if accessible and diverting some washing water to the watering can or bucket.

I'm not bothering to wash  so don't come to 36E.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

if it's yellow let it mellow but if it's brown then flush it down

Although in practice this is a load of rubbish.

Modern toilets have a much shorter flush and leaving it "mellow" in a warm house for the day creates a stink.

Just glad I gave my garden a good hosing for an hour the other day.

• RMweb Premium

Although in practice this is a load of rubbish.

Modern toilets have a much shorter flush and leaving it "mellow" in a warm house for the day creates a stink.

Just glad I gave my garden a good hosing for an hour the other day.

No it isn't a load of rubbish and you leave the lid down to contain the stale smell of pee. It does save water in older systems.Thank you.

P

30 again today. This is the third day that the gritters have been out spreading grit on the melting tarmac. Makes a change from treating ice. Just back from 2 hours on a street corner shaking a collection bucket. Warm work, I think some of the contributions were probably sympathy money. Still, it makes a change from standing in the rain.

• RMweb Gold

Must admit, like our antipodean cousins, I'm smiling at the angst created by a few days of half decent weather.

There is a reasonably simple answer to the water shortages, connect the bloody reservoirs together from North to South. It couldn't happen under the previous regime of water companies as no one had the nous to come up with the money, even less chance now since privatisation as each company will argue the toss about who pays what amount, and the only winners will be the consultants, never the consumer.

Mike.

I think someone suggested that during previous drought conditions; and using pipes plus the canal system to send water southwards. 

However, the strange excuse put forward for not doing that (because it would come out of water company profits) was that water in Kielder for instance would be too cold and upset the environmental conditions of canals and reservoirs in the south. 

• Like 1

Well despite being the hottest part of the country all this week we have 'plenty of water in Welsh Wales'  :triniti: .......even after the English had some ..... :nono: ..but lets face it we do have all the wet weather most of the year  :jester:  :jester: hence the saying 'How green is my valley'

Edited by gismorail
  • Like 2

We had joy, we had fun, flicking bogeys in the sun

But the sun was so hot that our bogeys turned to snot

Yep! Reminds me of summer 1976.

I experienced most of the summer 1976 and then joined a ship in Japan in August. They were experiencing the wettest summer on record ....

• RMweb Premium

The new season's football friendlies have just started up here, and at Forfar Athetic's home game against Ayr United today (finished 1-0) the referee played four quarters, stoping the game at 25 and 70 minutes to allow the players to have a water break.

Reservoir levels in Scotland are normal for the time of year but people in Moray have been asked to use water wisely.

DT

Edited by Torper

• RMweb Gold

Today's bike ride was a bit warm. Took a mainly easy and transport-historical route after a big climb out of Hayfield.

Peak Forest Tramway to Bugsworth Basin followed by Peak Forest Canal to Disley. Across Lyme Park (refreshment stop) to the Middlewood Way formerly known as the Macclesfield, Bollington and Marple Railway, then Macclesfield Canal and Peak Forest Canal back to New Mills and the Sett Valley Trail formerley the Hayfield Branch back to the start.

When I looked at the download of the ride stats the average temperature was just over 27C, with a minimum in a breeze under the trees in Lyme Park of 23C and a maximum in open sun on the canal bank around noon of 33C.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 4