SR Coaches colour?

Hi

I've recently acquired some SR coaches off that well known auction site. I'll admit it really isn't my area of expertise so don't know what they are! Anyway they're green.

post-8033-0-12581600-1529740565_thumb.jpg

As you can see they unfortunately suffered damage in the post and I was wondering if anyone knows what shade of green they are? An example number of the coach is S5640S.

Thanks for looking,

cheers

Will

If you search on this forum, there are at least two, probably more, long threads debating what shade BR(S) coaches were at various dates, and I think it would be fair to summarise the answer as: green!

Edited by Nearholmer

As the coaches are kit-built, it really depends on what green the builder used. One would hope it is from ne of the model paint ranges, but only the builder really knows what he/she used.

It's difficult for us to tell anyway because colour variation will have arisen both from your camera's sensor, and our viewing monitors. As Jeff says, it would help a lot if the seller knew what paint had been used. 

Otherwise, if you're planning a touch up I'd try a Southern Green from Precision Phoenix, they do different ones depending on whether it's for Southern Railway or B.R Southern Region. See how your first thin patch goes, it should give you a clue as to whether you need to make the next coat a little darker or lighter by adding a touch of black or white.

I'm afraid that unless you have a truly remarkable level of skill (way beyond mine by a long way), it's inevitable you'll be able to detect some element of touching up. You may be able to mitigate this by weathering, but if that isn't acceptable to you then respray the whole side to achieve consistency.

John.

• RMweb Gold

My feeling is that, to be honest, a complete repaint is not much more effort than touching up, which will always be obvious to you if to nobody else, and would save you having to precisely match the colour.  Even if you were able to find out what the original colour was and obtain a match, the paint on the coach will have faded slightly and the new patch will be obvious.

The trouble comes with what period you want them. BR green is different entire to the two colours SR supposedly used. For my period 1930ish I use SR dark olive. Which is the same as used on the locos but does look different on the coaches. The coach in your photo looks as if it could possibly blu the old Humbrol stock green.