Getting the body off a Dapol M7

• RMweb Gold

I don't like to start new topics in Q/H, but I've come to a stumbling block.I'm hoping that one of you N gaugers will be able to tell me how to take off the body to the Dapol M7 because I don't have a clue and there's no help on the internet (that I can find). Dapol seem to only keep records of recent releases on their websites and so have no maintenance files for it. unsure.gif

Thanks in advance.

Jam smile.gif

Remove the rear bogie (clips in IIRC), under which is a screw. Loosen this, together with the screw at the front of the chassis (holds the front of the keeper plate on) and this should release the body.

HTH,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Of course, that's no problem at all. As it happens, I'm converting mine to narrow gauge...

Give me 5 minutes and I'll post a photo smile.gif The motor is towards the centre of the chassis, but with some weight on the other side it should just about squeeze into a narrow gauge 0-4-0 locomotive.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick for that link, I didn't realise the body came apart as well. I guess you are all wanting to know what I've done with the chassis?

post-6776-127118355019_thumb.png

Should explain it nicely... wink.gif

Still plenty more to do on it such as roof, detailing, rear bonnet, possible side skirts etc etc.

Please feel free to make any suggestions!

Guest 009matt

I like it - it really looks great. The wheels I think should be left exposed, but you need a running plate between the cab and the front of the loco. It needs a big exhaust pipe on the bonnet, but these are all IMHO

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your feedback Matt, glad you like it! I'm pretty impressed with it myself if I may say so. A running plate would be a good idea, i'll make sure that is next on my list! Who knows, I might even 'finish' it tonight. An exhaust is also a good idea, i'll try and find a prototype photo to work from. Oh, and I think some cab steps may be called for, if I can work out how to make them!

Cheers,

Jam

Guest 009matt

For the latest photo, see here.

Jam cool.gif

Looking good Jam

again IMHO file the rounded steps so that they are flatter and look more like angle bracket than tubing, paint running board and steps etc green. Fill in the gap by the roof between the two cab sides, handrails, front and rear, then paint the grilles an undercoat of black, then drybrush some browns and greys over them. I still think an exhaust pipe like the one called phaedrus on this site http://bouldervalleymodels.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=6, anyway, its looking great!

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the constructive advice. Good idea about the steps, I hadn't thought about that! Running board and steps will definitely be painted green, that's already being dealt with as I type wink.gif For the roof, I am thinking about putting something on it so it overhangs the ends, and thus hiding the gap where I have fabricated a new roof. This will then be painted and have rain strips added. Handrails is also on the list. I hadn't thought about painting the grilles black.

Finally, I have never really been happy with exhaust, it's too chunky. What a great link too, I'll look into it and see what I can do.

Thanks as ever!

Jam

• RMweb Gold

Hello all.

I've managed to do some more work on the 009 diesel.

Here's what I have achieved since last night:

. Chunkier solebar added and painted

. Nameplate affixed and painted (go on, ask me where I got it from)

. Painted steps

What I've got left to do:

. Sort out roof

. Possible adjustments to steps

. Handrails (dreading this bit!)

. Exhaust (not sure how to position this)

. Sort out that bit of missing cab just underneath the current roof

post-6776-127133086002_thumb.jpg

post-6776-127133088382_thumb.jpg

Feel free to add your comments or suggestions, I like feedback, no matter how controversial wink.gif

Guest 009matt

I like it a lot, although it would be nice to seethe motion - some diesels had access flaps that could beleft open to see it. Is the number taken from an Airfix? sprue? The kit comes with handrails that could be cut to suit. You could also box off the motor underneath the control panel

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Matt. biggrin.gif

Do you have a link to a photo of a diesel with that access flap, I'd like to see one so I can include it if possible. You are correct about the Airfix sprue! Top marks. One of the sprues from the Airfix Catalina to be precise. I suddenly looked at it and thought 'Perfect, that's just what I need'. Now I just need to find another number 2 for the other side. As for the handrails, are they not too thick? I did wonder about boxing off the motor, just need to check I have something suitable first. Any thoughts about where the exhaust can go?

Archived