Train on fire at Plymouth

A train has caught fire at it arrived at plymouth station, the Fire Brigade arrived quickly and have extinguished the blaze, the less said aout the Police reporter the better-

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/train-fire-plymouth-railway-station-1690137

Believed to be 43056 and 144 (the one on fire) working 1C96 2003 Paddington to Plymouth. wrong info.

Edit-

This shows the level of reporting-

One emergency worker source said it was lucky the train had not entered the tunnel under Mutley Plain, where it would not have been accessible to fire crews. 

“I dread to think of the consequences,” they added.

The train had actually already gone through Mutley Tunnel because it is arriving at Plymouth station, absolutely pathetic 'drama queen' reporting, the consequences are the driver would have continued through the tunnel until arriving at a suitable location where the \fire Brigade would have access and the passengers could be evacuated if needed, it looks like they have stopped with the front of the train in the platform (so passengers could be evacuated) but the back of the train clear of the platform so the fire brigade have unhindered access and there is no danger of the station catching fire, quick thinking from the driver.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

Police say a “cargo train” is thought to have caught light - not a passenger service.

Plymouth Live’s Max Channon, at the scene, said the incident looked like an engine fire.

Devon and Cornwall Police say they are “trying to ascertain what kind of cargo [it is] and whether its flammable or not,” adds crime reporter Carl Eve.

:nono:

I wonder if it's one that's due to go to Scotland or stay in the West Country?

I seem to recall that it is to go north (someone correct me if my recollection is wrong), and I wondered if it would be denamed. Though the plates were never re-attached after a works visit some years ago.

Reported elsewhere that the fire was in the battery box.

Edited by pb_devon

• RMweb Premium

Are they flammable though?

It is stunning how atrocious the 'journalism' is on that article, although I accept it's more a random timeline than an actual article.

• RMweb Gold

It is stunning how atrocious the 'journalism' is on that article, although I accept it's more a random timeline than an actual article.

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to my reply contained in Post #219 on Page 9 of the NRM Rebranding thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133656-nrm-rebranding-railway-museum/page-9&do=findComment&comment=3174999

• Like 2

I don't know what sort of news organisation the Plymouth Herald is but assume that PlymouthLive is the online feed that most newspapers offer nowadays. These typically offer breaking stories but you have to buy the paper to get the full considered report.

To be fair to him, the editor who seems to have been handling the live coverage, was simply quoting what police and emergency workers were saying as the situation unfolded and was careful to report those as quotes not as facts.An emergency worker apparently did say that it was lucky the train hadn't entered the tunnel. The editor wouldn't know that the worker had got the wrong end of the stick nor that the police had misinterpreted a train without passengers as a "cargo" train. If that's what they told the editor that's what he quoted. It would be interesting to see the report in the Plymouth Herald this evening.

For what it's worth this was the BBC's report this morning

"A train engine caught fire at Plymouth Railway Station on Monday night.

Flames were seen from the station at 23:35 and it was quickly confirmed there were no passengers or cargo on board the train.

Officers said the fire had started in the battery of the train's diesel engine, and the cause of the blaze was thought to be accidental.

"Damage was contained to the battery bay and there was approximately 5% damage in total to the train," said Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service.

No disruption to services on Tuesday is expected."

I suppose you could ask news media to report nothing till they get an official statement or even wait for the RAIB report a year or so later but the public expect immediate coverage and presumably accept that it will be raw and unconfirmed.

Edited by Pacific231G

• RMweb Gold

'Plymouth Live' they're called - never heard of 'em before.

The old Birmingham Mail website used to be quite good but has now been dumbed down to a Twitter feed standard of reporting headed 'Birmingham Live'. I assume that the Plymouth rag is owned by the same firm.