43706433094_31fb309c4f_b.jpg

DAS000519 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

DAS000520

Holyhead

10/08/1978 (Thursday)

01002 at Holyhead Breakwater

30555599728_1d077f5a3d_b.jpg

DAS000520 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

Only ever did a quick out and back to Holyhead (with 40106 on a railtour [*]) and never got to see the 01's.

Your pics remind me of the only ones that ever seem to be published.

Cheers,

Mick

[*] 40106 piloted up the Blaenau branch by 25321, a quick spin on the Ffestiniog with a double headed Double Fairlie.

'106 was low on coolant on the way back, so it was removed at Warrington BQ, taken to Arpley, filled up and put back on the front…….

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Another batch, including another rescued by the scanner - ie an incomplete negative, rejected by the printer all those years ago but now a scanner can get an image. I'm glad I kept most of those little off-cuts ..

I'm loving these old warts'n'all shots which capture the everyday railway as it was at that time. 

Regarding the old negs not printed at the time, I've managed to rescue a few of my own including slides which had badly discoloured. Not all can be brought back to original colour but even most of those I have managed to coax a black and white picture out.

• Like 2

Interesting shot DAS000567 - the OHLE is earthed in the parcels bay but live on the main - could they take out certain routes?

DAS000559 - I don't remember the Crewe-Cardiff trains running round like that, or maybe Canton just wanted it's 37 back pronto.

DAS000568 - the three way point in front of the platform is still in situ - when did they take it up, I never saw anything use it, was it a steam throwback?

• RMweb Gold

Interesting shot DAS000567 - the OHLE is earthed in the parcels bay but live on the main - could they take out certain routes?

DAS000559 - I don't remember the Crewe-Cardiff trains running round like that, or maybe Canton just wanted it's 37 back pronto.

DAS000568 - the three way point in front of the platform is still in situ - when did they take it up, I never saw anything use it, was it a steam throwback?

567 - I assume so, generally it was/is possible to isolate areas, but the area might be large, or isolation may require a few areas.

559 - neither do I but the notes were written at the time - I simply copied them off the back of the photo.

568 - gone, 1985 at a guess during the remodelling. I suspect, as you suggest, it was a neck for pilot locos in the steam era, can't remember if I saw it used, or not !

Thanks for posting the Crewe photos. A few years before the photos posted, we used to make a regular Saturday  'pilgrimage' to Crewe from Brum mainly for the 400ers (later Class 50) which took over from the electrics to head north prior to electrification.

Once also 'bashed' 'bunked'(!) Crewe Diesel Depot in the company of a 'braver' spotter who had done the shed before!!

Happy days.

Andy

Edited by Andy Louch
  • Like 1

568 - gone, 1985 at a guess during the remodelling. I suspect, as you suggest, it was a neck for pilot locos in the steam era, can't remember if I saw it used, or not !

I think it was gone long before '85, my spotting period was 76-83 so it must have been around 1980.

It was good seeing some old pictures from my period at Crewe, all those covered tracks at the back, light engine movements and the 08 on the parcels bays.

I went a couple of years back with a camera, it was so quiet without the hubbub of Crewe diesel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting the Crewe photos. A few years before the photos posted, we used to make a regular Saturday  'pilgrimage' to Crewe from Brum mainly for the 400ers (later Class 50) which took over from the electrics to head north prior to electrification.

Once also 'bashed' Crewe Diesel Depot in the company of a 'braver' spotter who had done the shed before!!

Happy days.

Andy

A friend and I successfully bashed CD in around 1982; we walked into the main shed, went straight to the foreman's office and asked. I think he was so surprised we didn't try and bunk it, he said yes. Some other lads who didn't ask were promptly kicked out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A friend and I successfully bashed CD in around 1982; we walked into the main shed, went straight to the foreman's office and asked. I think he was so surprised we didn't try and bunk it, he said yes. Some other lads who didn't ask were promptly kicked out.

At Birkenhead shed, Angus, the foreman, would normally let me in and I could wander around freely, but a mate of mine would hardly ever be allowed in, even if we'd been in the day before Angus would just say he was in a good mood the previous day and still not let him in - happy days.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for yet more fascinating photos Dave.

As well as the signal wires, I love all the stay wires in DAS000582 and DAS000584.

As for DAS000593. I've seen this (and done it) numerous times when the back of the signal is open. If this was the case in this instance, I would also expect the "red" to be visible. Very odd. Could be an actual fault on the signal control circuits, or you've just managed to operate the camera shutter at the very same time as the signal was changing aspects from a 'double yellow' to 'green', or a trick of the light in the photo processing.

10 out of 10 if it is the signal changing aspect!

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

I'm enjoying these photos, especially the ones you've recently posted of Crewe, Lancaster and Preston.  Even over the five or six years between your photos and mine it's a big surprise to see how much things have changed especially with the installation of the OHLE at Lancaster and Pretson.

David

• RMweb Gold

DAS000578

Preston

26/08/1977 (Friday)

08355 on a parcels vehicle at the North end of Preston station

Self-loading parcels, I assume :-)

Thank you for the interesting thread.

Thanks ! - I simply typed the caption off the back of the photo, taking little notice of the sleeping parcels,

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for yet more fascinating photos Dave.

As well as the signal wires, I love all the stay wires in DAS000582 and DAS000584.

As for DAS000593. I've seen this (and done it) numerous times when the back of the signal is open. If this was the case in this instance, I would also expect the "red" to be visible. Very odd. Could be an actual fault on the signal control circuits, or you've just managed to operate the camera shutter at the very same time as the signal was changing aspects from a 'double yellow' to 'green', or a trick of the light in the photo processing.

10 out of 10 if it is the signal changing aspect!

Regards, Ian.

As it's stepping up from double yellow to green - it's not that hard with lamps and relays, I've got quite a few mid-change. I finally managed to get a 2-aspect LED head in the middle of changing a couple of weeks back - that's a *lot* harder.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

DAS000566 - was trying to make out what the lettering on the buffet behind read, looks to be a TDB number, and as the next vehicle is also a buffet, was this part of the works test train?

Dave

Edited by Davexoc

Hi Dave,

Fantastic photos, especially of the North Wales area, DAS000551 Colwyn Bay's down distant & the embankment behind  is where I grew up & use to play and watch class 40s/trains in the late 70's to early 80's until the A55 was built. You've even got my old mates house in the background. 

A heads up if your interested, all the 'New' (coming up to 39 years old now) colour lights at the ends of Llandudno Junction Platforms are due to be renewed to LED types, (heads only I think) in the next month or so, so the Sick & Tired inform me.

Keep up the good work....

Cheers

Stu  

• Like 1

DAS000566 - was trying to make out what the lettering on the buffet behind read, looks to be a TDB number, and as the next vehicle is also a buffet, was this part of the works test train?

Dave

This intrigued me too.

From the visible number, I reckon it was this - http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975324-1 - which was labelled as a "Catering Training Unit". There were at least two vehicles, the other being http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975323-1 . '323 survives, '324 went to Vic Berrys.

• RMweb Gold

Dave

TDB 975 3 or 8 24

It might have been part of the test train, didn't take much notice in those days I'm afraid.

Edit - see above post which was posted at the same time, confirming the number