TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

I'm thinking of trying out using steel plate for the footplate on a future model which might help.

I would use brass rather than steel. Engraving brass is far easier to work and is also heavier than mild steel. I use 40 thou. (1mm) thick engraving brass with a layer of 18 thou. cartridge brass to make loco running plates. Make the thin layer slightly wider than the main one so it looks like a plate and valance from the side. If you cant solder the layers together you can always use Araldite type glues.

20240323_120029.jpg.913c4a78c445264de9f86020a945a63c.jpg

MWHorus-002a.jpg.44b62da3381ac581fbc1f1328763f7e2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

And here is that more ambitious project!

Of course, I got the dimensions slightly wrong, but the transfers have come out fairly well, I wasn't happy at first but after a coat of varnish the painted boiler and the printed transfers colour match looks much better. I haven't lined the frames either, I think I'd rather have them plain than do a bad job of lining them. A couple of jobs to finish up, then this one can go in the cabinet (it doesn't run brilliantly, so probably won't feature on the layout much).

I should probably also look at finishing that rake of coaches to go with it...

IMG_20240704_114548042.jpg.3213eb8c5144ea24956c8a9868c7dd5e.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

Is that loco another print of yours?

It is - from a very long time ago. I think I printed it about 3 or 4 years ago, then left it for a long time as the chassis didn't work well (which often puts me off finishing a model) and I didn't really know how to do the lining. At least I've now solved one of those problems!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

A train about four years in the making - I think I started the Second Sondes in 2019, and the LCDR coaches sometime in 2020, and I have given up on both multiple times, consigning them to the cupboard for years at a time. But I'm calling them done for now, there are bits and pieces I could do (e.g. coach footboards and brakes, loco brakes and crew etc.) but I've decided to leave them as static models for the time being as I have no real reason to run these on an industrial shunting layout, and getting the loco chassis working and fixing the bearing issues on the coaches were some of the things putting me off finishing the livery and detailing.

So there we go, two big projects out of the unfinished pile, and a train that will make a nice addition to my display cabinet.

2P1010664.JPG.055a4bcbb4d7c669108f734a7b7048b7.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

3 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

I could use those !!!!

Do you know, there is a Sondes Street three streets down from where our model railway clubroom is in Walworth ?

All the best

Ray

Named for Lord Sondes, an LCDR director, who seemed to be keen for a class bearing his name to not be left out of service with a reputation for terrible unreliability! They were then "rebuilt" from 4-4-0STs to the 2-4-0T that I have modelled, which bear a striking resemblance to several other Martley designs, so how much beyond the boiler was reused I don't know.

More here: https://basilicafields.wordpress.com/2010/05/27/lcdr-locos-pt-1-second-sondes-martley-f-class/

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2024 at 13:19, TurboSnail said:

A train about four years in the making - I think I started the Second Sondes in 2019, and the LCDR coaches sometime in 2020, and I have given up on both multiple times, consigning them to the cupboard for years at a time. But I'm calling them done for now, there are bits and pieces I could do (e.g. coach footboards and brakes, loco brakes and crew etc.) but I've decided to leave them as static models for the time being as I have no real reason to run these on an industrial shunting layout, and getting the loco chassis working and fixing the bearing issues on the coaches were some of the things putting me off finishing the livery and detailing.

So there we go, two big projects out of the unfinished pile, and a train that will make a nice addition to my display cabinet.

2P1010664.JPG.055a4bcbb4d7c669108f734a7b7048b7.JPG

They look amazing.  

Question.  The Second Class compartments have an oil lamp over each one, but there are only two for the four First class.  I would have thought it might be the other way round, or four oil lamps on the First Class, or am I missing something.  (Who needs brakes?  Nasty fiddly things to model.  Much prefer my earlier stuff that does not have them.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrisN said:

They look amazing.  

Question.  The Second Class compartments have an oil lamp over each one, but there are only two for the four First class.  I would have thought it might be the other way round, or four oil lamps on the First Class, or am I missing something.  (Who needs brakes?  Nasty fiddly things to model.  Much prefer my earlier stuff that does not have them.)

Thankyou!

The Second/Third brakes are as per the drawings I had for 1879/80 built birdcage brakes, the 4-comp First is as per a similar but undated drawing that shares the same panelling style and general dimensions so I'm going to guess that they were contemporary. The First class compt. dividing walls are not full height so two compartments can share one lamp - the only reason I can propose for the Second to have one lamp per compartment is that they couldn't neatly divide three compartments by two. The Third class brake and 5-compt. don't have dividing walls between compartments, so can share lamps more readily - however, I should confess that the 5-compt. Third is actually a fabrication on my part - built using the same panels and ends as the brake Third to make up something plausible and balance the number of seats per class on the train a bit better. I think something similar was very likely to exist so I don't feel too bad about making it up!

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

Thankyou!

The Second/Third brakes are as per the drawings I had for 1879/80 built birdcage brakes, the 4-comp First is as per a similar but undated drawing that shares the same panelling style and general dimensions so I'm going to guess that they were contemporary. The First class compt. dividing walls are not full height so two compartments can share one lamp - the only reason I can propose for the Second to have one lamp per compartment is that they couldn't neatly divide three compartments by two. The Third class brake and 5-compt. don't have dividing walls between compartments, so can share lamps more readily - however, I should confess that the 5-compt. Third is actually a fabrication on my part - built using the same panels and ends as the brake Third to make up something plausible and balance the number of seats per class on the train a bit better. I think something similar was very likely to exist so I don't feel too bad about making it up!

Thank you for your explanation.  On the Cambrian's early coaches the Third Class did not have full height compartments so, like yours had two lamps per 5 compartments, but composites, and probably Firsts had full height divisions.  There must have been a 5 compartment Third, it certainly looks the part.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Named for Lord Sondes, an LCDR director, who seemed to be keen for a class bearing his name to not be left out of service with a reputation for terrible unreliability! They were then "rebuilt" from 4-4-0STs to the 2-4-0T that I have modelled, which bear a striking resemblance to several other Martley designs, so how much beyond the boiler was reused I don't know.

More here: https://basilicafields.wordpress.com/2010/05/27/lcdr-locos-pt-1-second-sondes-martley-f-class/

There is also a Bonsor Road in Camberwell (Cosmo Bonsor ?), not far from Sondes Street.

Neither of these are near any railway. Interesting coincidence ?

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

On 25/07/2024 at 12:39, wainwright1 said:

There is also a Bonsor Road in Camberwell (Cosmo Bonsor ?), not far from Sondes Street.

Neither of these are near any railway. Interesting coincidence ?

All the best

Ray

Henry Cosmo Orme Bonsor was a banker rather than a career railwayman. He was inter alia Treasurer of Guy's Hospital which isn't a million miles away from Camberwell.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Building up my later SR fleet, a newly painted S Class returns to its old haunts on the EKR, shunting a couple of the local colliery wagons.

This uses a 3D printed body on a Bachmann C Class chassis, with wire handrails, various detail bits from the scrap bin and lead sheet added in the tank and smokebox.

IMG_20240802_081011751.jpg.51ee8a31bbbb94a196e292e8604e09f3.jpg

IMG_20240802_081242067.jpg.1fad7f0dca20a2922e1957c5d7b22b6f.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

8 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Just needs reducing down to 'N' 😊

I have thought about it, I could do with a larger N Gauge loco... Cheap Farish C Classes seem to be in shorter supply than their OO counterparts though.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

I have thought about it, I could do with a larger N Gauge loco... Cheap Farish C Classes seem to be in shorter supply than their OO counterparts though.

You can get all the chassis parts for the loco from Farish spares, I did a few months ago for another project. It came to under £70.

Edited by Gareth Collier
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good evening TurboSnail,

Your S class loco looks fantastic!

Is the 3d print one of yours or A N Others?

Are they for sale?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good evening TurboSnail,

Your S class loco looks fantastic!

Is the 3d print one of yours or A N Others?

Are they for sale?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers, Nigel.

Thanks!

In order:

Yes, one of mine, and 
No, not yet

Still got a couple of tweaks to make to the CAD, mainly where it secures to the chassis. But I'm hoping it will be available after that!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My two OO Fireless locos are finally united on the industrial diorama

IMG_20240819_1059582043.jpg.cd1a36b43d10ebf4ea9d31d529b9da4c.jpg

I had grand plans to start a series of dioramas, and so far I have only progressed as far as making a second card base and 3D printing a wagon tippler. More to follow... eventually.

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

A d1553 10-ton brake, built at Ashford 1900, tails a coal train out of Guilford Colliery, EKR.

I've had the CAD design sitting around for ages, and even built one of these before (then sold it), but now I've finally got round to building one for myself. It should really have "Goods" and "Brake" either side of the number but the transfers I had for that were too large to fit in between the uprights - livery seems to have varied quite a bit in the early days of the SECR anyway so I'm happy with it as-is.

IMG_20240903_161650666.jpg.d35e817e2e182ee6a1ad9998d844c2aa.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3