Distant banner repeaters

LNERGE

I'm looking for pictures of distant banner repeaters. I have just acquired one but it is not arranged as expected.

Ignoring the modern LED-based versions, there were two types of banner distants. I would have expected the "black with fishtail on white" type to be a simple copy of the normal banner repeater, it would obviously have been possible to have incorporated slotting if there were a normal banner repeater above but, in my view at least, that would have been expensive overkill (which was generally avoided in the old days). There was also a type of banner distant which was an actual distant mounted below a semaphore stop arm - the Southern was fond of them at the entry to long tunnels - and these were yellow painted with a black chevron and black background; these obviously did have to be slotted with the stop signal mounted above them, although the examples I remember were motor-worked which made this easy.

This may well be one of the SR banner type distants..

post-4034-0-22788800-1527540544_thumb.jpg

Today's banner is a banner repeater..

post-4034-0-43451600-1527540562_thumb.jpg

The fishtail is the wrong way round. There a weight at the bottom right at the pointed end of the fishtail. It was meant to be this way up and this way round.

post-4034-0-22788800-1527540544_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-43451600-1527540562_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The fishtail is the wrong way round. There a weight at the bottom right at the pointed end of the fishtail. It was meant to be this way up and this way round.

Designed to be viewed as if viewing the signal from the rear ? - i.e. it's acting as an arm repeater for staff other than drivers, so nearer to the box rather than further out.

• RMweb Premium

Is that the back view of an externally illuminated one? The glass looks a bit frosted which suggests the rear glass. Similar to the Gilberdyke one where the external lamp can be seen.

• RMweb Gold

Isn't there one outside the north end of Blea Moor tunnel

Not any more, it’s now a 3 aspect signal (double yellow/green) as there isn’t enough room between the single yellow and stop signal should it be on

Edited by big jim

I've had it apart and i'm convinced it is the right way up and has not been interfered with. It has a serial number plate that suggests LMR or ScR regions and what was left of the still attached external wiring had labels that suggest it repeated 17 signal.

• RMweb Premium

No comment on my suggestion?

Is it internally lit or externally lit?

If the latter then the glasses may have been swapped so the clear glass is on the wrong side.

If the former then its a puzzle unless the internals can be installed in mirror image.

Regards

No comment on my suggestion?

Is it internally lit or externally lit?

If the latter then the glasses may have been swapped so the clear glass is on the wrong side.

If the former then its a puzzle unless the internals can be installed in mirror image.

Regards

This is an externally lit banner. I have three SYX banner signals in use at home and have encountered numerous other examples on my travels both as an observer of signals and maintainer. This one is arranged as i would expect it to be with clear(ish) glass at the front and opaque glass to the rear. The original cabling was still attached when i acquired it and i have no reason to suspect anything has been altered since it's recovery.

So far it has baffled all who have seen it.