Middlemark

Darius43

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Removable “bridge” across the shed door  - track laying completed.

DE509E4F-5FC9-402B-AD9E-9ADA5A14FC73.jpeg.644465bc53f2aea107feb5119099e3e0.jpeg

1B15850E-64F0-4E7B-B0A3-63FBA355DB5A.jpeg.4285ef54bdbf1e10b2a1cb4c04d1854d.jpeg

86101E7D-B321-44D4-8C8C-C64E9E1C6F03.jpeg.95701a17f8ba81241c2e18511080585b.jpeg

1A5DAA50-288D-43D9-9E2A-F06E52538167.jpeg.1221dd8d8897b9cc116b4f8d3d93db2e.jpeg

This is the bridge for the lower scenic double track circuit.  A second bridge will be required for the upper scenic circuit.

The intention is for the bridge sections to be the “switch” that powers the bridge tracks and 2m of track by either side of the bridge opening.  That way no trains can approach the “chasm” if the bridge is not in place.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting approach to supporting your ethernet switch!

Agree with your lifting flap protection measures.  I just need to do rather than agree with others who do.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

More fun today in the shed.  The Hornby rebuilt W1 is on the limit of what it can pull.

Work on the scenic side of things will recommence in a week or so.  Right now we are enjoying continuous running for the first time in almost 5 years.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3

Hi Darius.

Those videos show a mixture of stock, both featured and just parked, that can only be described as "eclectic". Do you plan to focus on one Era? (Love the Brighton Belle).

Best wishes

Cam

PS That tracklaying looks awesome.

Edited by CameronL
Added a bit
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cam,

“Eclectic” hardly does it justice.  We aren’t aiming to model a one particular era - as the parked stock indicates.  The stock is parked at the moment as it needs running in after being boxed for several years.  Once the layout is complete, the  intention is to have running sessions that stick, kinda sorta, to an era, with stock rotated between different eras between sessions.

Of course that will all fall over when the UP Big Boy and a Shinkansen roll past…

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

37 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Of course that will all fall over when the UP Big Boy and a Shinkansen roll past…

Well, if you want to be a really broad church I gather that Hornby has just announced a Liverpool and Manchester Tiger train pack to go along with the Rocket one.

Edited by CameronL
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some soldering to sort out dead track zones in the low level fiddle yard this morning followed by a running session on the upper level.  The latter is very much a work in progress.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

…and got plastered.

Interesting ...

What plaster as you using, just some simple DIY grade stuff? Let us know if in shrinks and/or cracks.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

I’m using this stuff:-

981B60DC-D070-4F8C-ADAC-5EE43EEBD490.jpeg.6941008fa0fd3671abc87d29f6e83f83.jpeg

I used it over polystyrene formers on this diorama nearly 10 years ago and it has not shrunk or cracked.

AEA04061-D094-4B61-B523-DFF9A22FA4CB.jpeg.ddb05f2bf1205e5f0fb2973ae32ce636.jpeg

Still using the same bag of plaster that I bought originally.  I apply a skim coat over the polystyrene surface and let it dry.  

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

I’m using this stuff:-

Darius,

Seems a little 'exotic' and not (currently) readily available in UK. TheBay gave zero results. It does appear to be great stuff though, as proven by your 10-year old sample.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Essentially it’s “Dental Plaster” - other products are available…

An 100g bag goes a long way.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43

2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

The joint will be static grassed “in situ” on the layout.

Darius,

That's a great 'mix' of grass colours, very realistic. I hope you'll share the 'recipe' ...

(Should I buy Shares in Woodlands Scenics?)

Ian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, ISW said:

Darius,

That's a great 'mix' of grass colours, very realistic. I hope you'll share the 'recipe' ...

(Should I buy Shares in Woodlands Scenics?)

Ian

Hi Ian,

I used a mix of 2, 4 and 6mm fibres with summer, and wild meadow colours.  The fibres are from a supplier on eBay and are cheaper than WS.  I did use the WS handheld vacuum to recover fibres however.

Cheers

Darius

• Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

I used a mix of 2, 4 and 6mm fibres with summer, and wild meadow colours.  The fibres are from a supplier on eBay and are cheaper than WS.  I did use the WS handheld vacuum to recover fibres however.

Darius,

Thanks for the 'recipe'. Static grassing (and any other landscaping) it's not in my skillset, so any information is appreciated.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

It’s my second go at static grassing.  I used a Peco applicator and a 70/30 pva/water mix for the adhesive.  It’s quite easy to do and good fun.  The vacuum is very useful to retrieve (and then re-use) overspill fibres.

I have a bag of scrubby vegetation and various flocks from the same supplier to make the embankment a bit less manicured when it’s on the layout.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43

• RMweb Gold

Shrubbery…

B877DE69-E51E-495F-824F-4F4240333468.jpeg.a8933bbdf23716b17740766144569783.jpeg

Had to apply then this way up as they kept rolling down the slope the other way…

Flocking next…

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 3