Peak rail, Matlock station extension

Michael Delamar

sadly I think you may be right.

and it pains me to say it as Ive always wanted to see this line re-opened, it has the potential to be one of the best lines in the country, or are we now overun with preserved lines?

maybe theyre time has been missed? maybe they should have tried to stay at Buxton and try and open to Millers dale? although the other end at Matlock could have been lost.

lines like the churnet valley have sprung up in very little time.

have major lottery projects now gone, like that of the welsh highland?

while I think there is a problem with the railway being a plc and having a strict management, the other half of the problem is the national park, local authorities and land owners.

theyve got enough tourists.

I dont think its any fault of the volunteers of the line. although it must be strange being a volunteer for a plc rather than a charity.

Mike

have major lottery projects now gone, like that of the welsh highland?

For the mean time I would say yes, but after the olympics rubbish has gone draining all the lottery money away I think funds will become available again. Sadly the money isn't really distributed on the worthiness of applications, but simply on how the application is worded and that is contains the right words. The first step is to get somebody who has made multiple successful lottery applications to help. It does pain me when I see that organisations like sustrans have ended up with £90m to spend giving fledgling/expanding preserved railways a hard time. Most of the "work" they do ends up unused, abandoned and overgrown.

Jim

Archived