The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Unusual water noise outside house

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Here's an odd situation I only discovered this morning, although it might have been going on for a bit longer.

I heard an unusual 'water flowing/gushing' type noise on my driveway, next to the road, where my outside water stop cock is located. It seems to be coming from underneath the flap covering the outside stop cock.

post-57-0-97219900-1526674242_thumb.jpg

I haven't heard this noise before and it's not a part of the driveway where I normally loiter, although I normally leave the bin there for the refuse collection on a Friday.

At the moment, I can't open the flap on the top of the access hatch, because builders secured it with a large screw a few years ago, and my largest screwdriver can't shift it, either that or I haven't had enough Weetabix for breakfast:

post-57-0-67748800-1526674031_thumb.jpg

I haven't had a chance to ring the water company today, but I was wondering what this might be.

Things I have checked so far:

- I have tried turning the stop cock off inside the house, but the outside noise continues unabated.

- There is absolutely no evidence of any leakage, either inside the house, or outside.

- There has been no recent disturbance to the ground anywhere near the buried water supply pipe.

- There is no apparent reduction in mains water pressure in our house either.

Until I can get the flap open, I'll still be guessing, so that should be a priority, but I do wonder what this could be. I am aware that any problems with the pipe between the outside stop cock and the house is my responsibility to fix, but this doesn't feel like a leak in the actual pipe, more like something to do with the actual outside stop cock (which I am assuming is still the property and responsibility of the water company).

We do not have a water meter, there is just the old-fashioned stop cock under the flap.

Pending a call to the water company, I just wondered if anyone might have come across this kind of noise before, please?

Many thanks.

• Like 1

We had a "rushing noise" in our front garden when we had steel mains pipes. One guess , yes rusted through, it was from the 1930's however. It eventually reached the surface pipe was at least a foot underground.

• RMweb Gold

, because builders secured it with a large screw a few years ago,

I just wondered if anyone might have come across this kind of noise before, please?

Many thanks.

In answer to the second point - Yes -  I've heard it before lots of times and it's a leak.

Re the first point -  Who the f*** screws an access point shut ! The point of a stopcock is so that you can access it to turn the water off easily.

Sorry to learn of your predicament, Capt'n.  A prompt call to the water company is paramount as it might be digging a hole beneath your driveway, hence the rushing noise.  Small consolation to you but over here recently we now have insurance to cover the pipe from the supply to our house.

We are enduring a similar problem but indoors, as a pin hole in the upstairs pipe ruined our family room/lounge and kitchen .  New carpet, new hardwood, new paint, etc; my wife is having a field day picking it all out!  All covered by insurance but there goes the premium deduction though!

Hope your problem has a happy ending!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

• RMweb Premium

Me? I'd:

1. Open up the flap with a decent driver or an impact driver.

2. If nothing obvious is wrong that needs immediate attention then I'd take out a plan like this (no connections etc):

https://www.homeserve.com/uk/insurance/plumbing-and-drainage-plus

(Bear in mind that there is no cover for the first 28 days)

- I believe such plans will re-instate driveways etc. back to original

HTH

Cheers,

polybear

• RMweb Premium

My main concern would be is the leak before or after the meter as if after you are almost certainly for lost water!

Turn it off and see if the sound stops after a while?

See OP - he hasn't got a meter, and he can't turn it off because the stopcock flap is screwed down.

Does no-one read the OP nowadays????

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

There's a special place in Hades (if you believe that sort of thing) reserved for the idiot who put that screw into the stopcock cover. Seriously, why would someone do such a thing?

• RMweb Premium

There's a special place in Hades (if you believe that sort of thing) reserved for the idiot who put that screw into the stopcock cover. Seriously, why would someone do such a thing?

So the OP has to call in a plumber.  Who happens to be the builder's Brother....

Cynical? Moi?

• RMweb Gold

If it's on your property, which I assume it is as you show it on the driveway, I would dig down to find out which side of the stop cock the leak is, the water board will only be interested if it's on their side, leaving you to sort out the problem if it's on your side, stop cock boxes aren't called boundary boxes for nothing!

If it's a lead service, dependant on the age of the house, you should get a free relay in plastic, but you will have to dig the trench and access to the house yourself.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Tim - get a long handled screwdriver and place the business end on the ground near the stopcock and your ear next to the handle so it acts as a sort of noise magnifier.  If you can clearly hear running water then that will confirm that it's leaking if you want any more confirmation than Dave's (Chris P Bacon) post - but I would lay good money that he is absolutely right because that's what leaks can sound like.

Call in the water company pdq because if it's their side of the stopcock it's their problem (tough luck if it's on your side of the stopcock - but that might explain why some halfwit screwed down the cover).

Years ago I had a similar predicament.  I could hear a noise from the mains pipe that went through the cellar.  Turned everything off, noise continued.  It was a leak from the stop cock under the pavement.  Water Board Fixed it, but the repair to the pavement surface was very poor.  Crap blackstuff from a bag, very coarse, then it sank.  So if its your drive you'll need to be on their case from the start.  It might be worth 'briefing them first', I've started doing that, to leave them in no uncertain terms what is expected.. 

Good Luck

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all. Will call the water company first, I think. We do have insurance for the outside supply pipe, fortunately, as well.

Be careful - many policies only fix the problem, and don't restore the surface finish to previous condition ( i.e. they'll trash your drive)

See OP - he hasn't got a meter, and he can't turn it off because the stopcock flap is screwed down.

Does no-one read the OP nowadays????

Regards,

John Isherwood.

If you are going to chastise me for this; please feel free to go through every topic and do likewise!

Mark Saunders

The 'rushing sound' of water escape can be well distant from where you are hearing it. I would pop open a few more covers - with neighbour's permission - to assess. Took us two years in my previous home to provoke the then water supplier to find an audible leak. The water was running straight into what had been a field drain, so no significant wash out trouble had occurred.

• RMweb Premium

If you are going to chastise me for this; please feel free to go through every topic and do likewise!

Mark Saunders

It does help, though, if you wish to make a helpful comment, to actually read what the problem is.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

PM me if you need any help. I have several impact drivers and an appetite for destruction! Am van wrestling this morning but free after lunch.

Thanks DD, I'll certainly be in touch if my current cunning plan doesn't bear fruit!

I hadn't heard of 'impact drivers' before you mentioned them, but I've looked them up since. So are we saying that their percussive capabilities will also help remove a tightly fitted screw, as well as putting them in tightly?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks DD, I'll certainly be in touch if my current cunning plan doesn't bear fruit!

I hadn't heard of 'impact drivers' before you mentioned them, but I've looked them up since. So are we saying that their percussive capabilities will also help remove a tightly fitted screw, as well as putting them in tightly?

Absolutely - absolutely wizard gadgets

• RMweb Premium

They work well provided the impact is applied

to the driver not to the hand holding it