MYSTERY 6-WHEEL VAN/WAGON.

Hi all,

Has anyone any ideas on the identity of this wagon?  Unknown location and the  number looks like 'E738546'. 

The wagon is tethered horse-like to the wooden bollard suggesting the yard staff didn't trust the brake - but it doesn't look as if its going anywhere soon.

Could this be an ex-stores van of some sort or even an ex-Pooley vehicle on its last legs?  I've looked at Peter Tatlow's LNER wagon books but unless I've missed the blindingly obvious I haven't found it mentioned.

Any confirming info.would be source credited as part of a caption.

Thanks very much.

Nick.

post-19032-0-35243200-1526468762_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

A NBR 15t van would be my guess.

I'm guessing the tree-stump is there as a step rather than to add to the effectiveness of the hand-brake.

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for going OT re the van, but something else of interest in the right-centre background is what appears to be a 16t mineral body sat on the ground - or is it's running gear perhaps hidden behind a loading dock/platform? If the location is identified I guess this will confirm if it is a grounded 16t wagon or not. If it is grounded, then perhaps something for the "prototype for everything corner".

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for going OT re the van, but something else of interest in the right-centre background is what appears to be a 16t mineral body sat on the ground - or is it's running gear perhaps hidden behind a loading dock/platform? If the location is identified I guess this will confirm if it is a grounded 16t wagon or not. If it is grounded, then perhaps something for the "prototype for everything corner".

Regards, Ian.

I'd put my last quid on it being behind a loading bank.

It appears to be piled high with something; (scrap?); and what use would a grounded steel mineral be, anyway? If you filled it with, say, scrap; you'd need to get it all out again via the side flap door.

Wooden bodied vans were grounded because the body had little value as scrap, and could provide (relatively) weatherproof storage; not so steel opens with side flap doors.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The number confirms it as NB - the LNER added 7 to the existing NB numbers. Most likely a Diagram 44B - they were the last built and so lasted later than most. Tatlow illustrates E738500 (Vol. 3 pp 52 bottom). Guisborough had one as a store until it closed.

• RMweb Premium

It appears to be piled high with something; (scrap?); and what use would a grounded steel mineral be, anyway? If you filled it with, say, scrap; you'd need to get it all out again via the side flap door.

Wooden bodied vans were grounded because the body had little value as scrap, and could provide (relatively) weatherproof storage; not so steel opens with side flap doors.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks John, on closer examination I think you are right. It just looked a bit odd at first viewing.

Regards, Ian.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

There were (very occasional) cases where steel-bodied opens ended up as grounded bodies. One was a 16t mineral used as an over-large coal bunker in a Midlands engineer's yard; another was an iron-ore tippler used to retain an earth bank adjacent to the footbridge at Tonbridge West Yard. If you ever see Paul Wade's excellent model, you may notice this. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As for location, there is a building in the background (above the left hand doorway of the van) that has a rendered/painted end with something written on it, a pub perhaps? This could give a clue as to location.

As for location, there is a building in the background (above the left hand doorway of the van) that has a rendered/painted end with something written on it, a pub perhaps? This could give a clue as to location.

And there are two partially readable registration numbers visible under the right hand end of the van which may help

cheers

• Like 1