A Jubilee for the Jubilee?

Nick Mitchell

Perhaps the Association should offer a special prize for the most accurate rendition in 2mm scale of that under-cab gubbins. I have seen one or two remarkable efforts from P4 modellers but in 2FS.......

42 minutes ago, bécasse said:

Perhaps the Association should offer a special prize for the most accurate rendition in 2mm scale of that under-cab gubbins. I have seen one or two remarkable efforts from P4 modellers but in 2FS.......

Not sure how to respond to that. There doesn't seem to be an 'aye right, on ur bike pal' button! 🤔

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, bécasse said:

The latest Groves Trophy winner (Nick Mitchell's Colossus) has a representation:

20240511_1258052.jpg.dc3f665aea5b62364e03ac7e7e75773e.jpg

So a prize has in effect been awarded for Nick's efforts on that, the altered valve gear in forward gear, the tender lining, running qualities etc.

My latest Jubilee has something basic too, although the fit needs a bit of fettling on this one:

20240616_171458.jpg.2d919c4bd855765c9635bb716c0d6081.jpg

Simon

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

Not sure how to respond to that. There doesn't seem to be an 'aye right, on ur bike pal' button! 🤔

Only joking, of course, and the photo is very useful, particularly if reduced to somewhere around 2mm (or whatever) scale, in determining what a modeller does have to do in order to produce something that looks just like the real thing. As I said I have been amazed to find one or two P4 modellers who do attempt to model things like this in very fine detail, I am surprised that they find life long enough.

Perhaps, though, 3D printing using a metallic medium may offer possibilities for the future. At a French show a couple of months ago I saw some examples of 3D prints in resin of architectural features in HO scale where the level of detail was absolutely stunning, and 3D prints of rolling stock weren't lagging far behind.

42 minutes ago, tom s said:

P4 modellers don't have to run a driveshaft through their cabs! 😄

(may have misread)

Nor do 2FS modellers! See the link to my Dunalastair build in my signature!

Jim

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1