The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

38 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

I’ve never bought a DVD, CD, LP or game for that matter with any consideration of what it’s worth after I’ve bought it, so I’m not sure I see the relevance?

I take some comfort in knowing that no-one, with the flick of a switch, can stop me from re-reading Asimov’s Foundation nor listening to The Queen Is Dead with my physical copies…

Best

Scott. 

If you plan on keeping them forever then it is not relevant for you. But it can be for others. 

People are increasingly consuming digital media sources,  especially streaming and so being able to buy a physical copy might not be possible in time. Quite how long that time is is unknowable precisely,  but probably fairly soon in terms of decades as demand declines.

3 minutes ago, Kelly said:

If you plan on keeping them forever then it is not relevant for you. But it can be for others. 

People are increasingly consuming digital media sources,  especially streaming and so being able to buy a physical copy might not be possible in time. Quite how long that time is is unknowable precisely,  but probably fairly soon in terms of decades as demand declines.

Who are these "people"? I'm apparently not "people". Should I be shaking my fist at clouds?

C6T.

• Agree 2

Ooh Desert Strike!

https://www.eurogamer.net/segas-mega-drive-mini-2-retro-console-full-game-list-revealed

A Google search reveals it was out on Amiga? I had a couple of Strike "Get to da chopper!" Sh'mups on Amiga, not that one though I believe... not paying £105 for it though (with attached retro miniature).

C6T.

Collar Doodie has never been a title I've had the slightest bit of interest in, however it's importance (fiscally beyond anything else) in the gaming space has garnered scrutiny globally as Microsoft attempts to seal the deal to snaffle ActiBlizz. Piece outlining the UK regulatory concerns (ABK for those not aware refers to Activision Blizzard King, King Digital being a recent acquisition of ActiBlizz):

https://www.eurogamer.net/uks-competition-regulator-to-undertake-in-depth-investigation-of-microsoft-activision-deal

Meanwhile, Sony accuse MS of all sorts of... stuff...whilst both sides ignore the fact exclusivity is literally a means to sell hardware:

https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-boss-calls-microsofts-post-acquisition-call-of-duty-offer-inadequate-on-many-levels

...and whilst whether CoD is or isn't available on PlayStation matters not a jot to me, I'd be an idiot to think if Sony wasn't pulling in that money from it, it'd be a loss of income that will be spent on games I would actually like.

Crucially though, I don't see an easy 'out' to this. MS can't buy ABK because CoD? Hive off CoD? How does any of that work!?

C6T.

Glowing preview of PlayStation VR2 on Eurogamer:

https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-vr2-is-about-to-breathe-new-life-into-virtual-reality-gaming

Never been in the market for VR up to now, but the author's gushing praise for the Horizon title alone has perhaps sold it to me (I'm not much into the horror genre of games anyway, probably less so if it's right in my face!).

C6T.

A query to those familiar with VR if I may. I'm short in one eye and long in t'other, I'm likely to need corrective lenses for a headset?

Edited by Classsix T
Subsequent question

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Glowing preview of PlayStation VR2 on Eurogamer:

https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-vr2-is-about-to-breathe-new-life-into-virtual-reality-gaming

Never been in the market for VR up to now, but the author's gushing praise for the Horizon title alone has perhaps sold it to me (I'm not much into the horror genre of games anyway, probably less so if it's right in my face!).

C6T.

A query to those familiar with VR if I may. I'm short in one eye and long in t'other, I'm likely to need corrective lenses for a headset?

The headset will look more or less as you see the actual world, although since there's no depth of focus it's all set at a moderate distance (which isn't infinity). If you don't need glasses normally then you should be OK. If you do then it'll depend. I've worn VR headsets with glasses, although it's a little uncomfortable, and ended up scratching the lenses a little. In the end I found some prescreption lens inserts I can put in the headset, and they work well but are an extra cost.

If you can give it a try first that's worth it.

Edited by Reorte
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Email from Frontier Developments received recently informs me of a "one time only opportunity" to transfer my console profile over to the PC version of Elite Dangerous. Dropping console support like a hot rock isn't mentioned, but is underhandedly heavily implied.

It's likely a reply not supported email, so on the offhchance the studio Head regularly visits the Lounge:

Dear Mr. Braben,

Thank you for your recent email, now get bent.

Yours, yadda-yadda...

• RMweb Premium
On 19/09/2022 at 17:26, Classsix T said:

Email from Frontier Developments received recently informs me of a "one time only opportunity" to transfer my console profile over to the PC version of Elite Dangerous. Dropping console support like a hot rock isn't mentioned, but is underhandedly heavily implied.

It's likely a reply not supported email, so on the offhchance the studio Head regularly visits the Lounge:

Dear Mr. Braben,

Thank you for your recent email, now get bent.

Yours, yadda-yadda...

They've messed up with Elite: Dangerous, there was simply no way they were going to get Odyssey running decently on consoles (not that it looks like it should be that demanding), so they've just given up. Although I still more or like the game I've somewhat given up much hope for it being great, too much not thought through, too many bugs unaddressed (and performance issues), too many features introduced as a shallow addition with promise but never built on. They could really do with just starting again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

They've messed up with Elite: Dangerous, there was simply no way they were going to get Odyssey running decently on consoles (not that it looks like it should be that demanding), so they've just given up. Although I still more or like the game I've somewhat given up much hope for it being great, too much not thought through, too many bugs unaddressed (and performance issues), too many features introduced as a shallow addition with promise but never built on. They could really do with just starting again.

I'm not sure if it's playable across platforms? But my guess would be they're looking to ditch the console servers as well. It may well be that the number of console ED players simply isn't enough to justify.

But then again, I don't know of many console users keen to start playing a game from 2017, especially one that is seen as a rather complex time-sink.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I'm not sure if it's playable across platforms? But my guess would be they're looking to ditch the console servers as well. It may well be that the number of console ED players simply isn't enough to justify.

But then again, I don't know of many console users keen to start playing a game from 2017, especially one that is seen as a rather complex time-sink.

There's only very limited cross-platform stuff (some of the background information that's influenced by players, such as pushing faction support and astronomical discoveries - at least I think the latter are shared).

I'm pretty sure the plan is to ditch consoles entirely which is why they're offering console players a free account migration to PC. Which isn't much use unless you've got a suitable PC.

• Agree 1

A belated happy "The Last of Us day" (love the game(s) but I'm not setting aside a calendar date for it):

https://kotaku.com/last-of-us-tlou-naughty-dog-gif-meme-sony-joel-ellie-1849581189

This one did pique my interest however

giphy.gif.e67ca54abb6441f6150c09bde82198c2.gif

But then I immediately had Art Garfunkel in my head..."Briiight eyes... burning like fire...etc."

C6T.

The white tower of power not performing at optimum level right now frankly. I'm having game breaking issues so far with GT7 and GoT. Graphics glitches followed by crashes.

Google brought up this page:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/ce-108255-1.html

... which seemed to fix issues with GT7 initially. But GoT has started playing up something chronic. Both games are physical disc versions so I guess all I'll get off tech support is that the disc is manky.

Hoping it isn't actually a hardware issue.

C6T.

1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

The white tower of power not performing at optimum level right now frankly. I'm having game breaking issues so far with GT7 and GoT. Graphics glitches followed by crashes.

... which seemed to fix issues with GT7 initially. But GoT has started playing up something chronic. Both games are physical disc versions so I guess all I'll get off tech support is that the disc is manky.

C6T.

These days the discs are not much more than drm checks as the content on them is outdated before they even ship. 

Sadly either a new update has broken something or you have developed a hardware fault. 

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Classsix T said:

C6T.

Would a reboot and reinstall help possibly?

GT7 is running fine for me.

2 hours ago, StevieD71 said:

Both games running ok for now. Deletion, cleaning the disc and reinstalling seems to do the trick, they are the two discs I'm regularly swapping. I'm rebuilding database and altering the language too but doing that on its own didn't resolve the issue.

If it starts to do the error on a digital game then I guess I'm looking at the console or SSD at fault?

C6T.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Both games running ok for now. Deletion, cleaning the disc and reinstalling seems to do the trick, they are the two discs I'm regularly swapping. I'm rebuilding database and altering the language too but doing that on its own didn't resolve the issue.

If it starts to do the error on a digital game then I guess I'm looking at the console or SSD at fault?

C6T.

I would say so, but, fingers crossed that  isn't the case.

All my PS5 games are digital only. I have the disc drive version of the console, but only because most of my PS4 games were physical disc versions.

Do you have an internal memory expansion fitted? I went for the 1TB WD Black and haven't had any issues. My PS4 games are on an external WD drive and they all work fine too.

3 hours ago, StevieD71 said:

I would say so, but, fingers crossed that  isn't the case.

All my PS5 games are digital only. I have the disc drive version of the console, but only because most of my PS4 games were physical disc versions.

Do you have an internal memory expansion fitted? I went for the 1TB WD Black and haven't had any issues. My PS4 games are on an external WD drive and they all work fine too.

Much like yourself Stevie, a 2TB Samsung 980PRO under the bonnet for the PS5 games and a Samsung T5 portable SSD out the back for PS4 titles.

C6T.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StevieD71 said:

Btw Steve, idk if you're still popping in to the GTS Friends, but we sorta found out that switching language and disabling HDCP did resolve the sharing replay issue GT7 has, where any replay approaching 100Mb would just hang between 0-5% upload and then bail.

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Btw Steve, idk if you're still popping in to the GTS Friends, but we sorta found out that switching language and disabling HDCP did resolve the sharing replay issue GT7 has, where any replay approaching 100Mb would just hang between 0-5% upload and then bail.

C6T.

I dipped out of the GTS Friends group after a bit of a bust up with someone who was posting abusive nonsense in comments, and reported me to the admin when I called him on it.

I can't be bothered dealing with crap like that.