The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

Sniper Elite 5 proving to be more of the same, which is no bad thing, with larger play areas.

Rather disappointed Karl isn't packing tripwire traps, unless they're unlocked later than where I am in the game...

Also rather surprised there's XP attributes for leaving targets unconscious but alive at the end of a mission. The only good Nazi is a dead one, amaright?

I find myself doing the rigmarole of clearing the map of all the peripheral baddies before tackling the necessary side and main quest objectives, I dunno if I'm supposed to do the game like that, but it works for me.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that I wont be bothering with TSM2 after being left (high and dry) with an awful TSM trying to run the Trans Pennine route.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Sniper Elite 5 proving to be more of the same, which is no bad thing, with larger play areas.

Rather disappointed Karl isn't packing tripwire traps, unless they're unlocked later than where I am in the game...

Also rather surprised there's XP attributes for leaving targets unconscious but alive at the end of a mission. The only good Nazi is a dead one, amaright?

I find myself doing the rigmarole of clearing the map of all the peripheral baddies before tackling the necessary side and main quest objectives, I dunno if I'm supposed to do the game like that, but it works for me.

C6T.

That's how I played SE4, don't want them to be alerted and flank you unawares.

3 hours ago, SHMD said:

I must admit that I wont be bothering with TSM2 after being left (high and dry) with an awful TSM trying to run the Trans Pennine route.

Kev.

Which platform Kev?

C6T.

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

That's how I played SE4, don't want them to be alerted and flank you unawares.

Well quite. It doesn't help that you only learn of the level exit point once the mission is complete.

Consequently Karl once again is a one man execution squad, I've not yet completed the third mission and I've got 200+ kills with the rifle alone. Might have been something if Rebellion had made the AI so that maybe a goon is sent to investigate if a post on the map doesn't report in or something?

Also, I managed to knock out a secondary target with a non-lethal trap, but because bodies don't respawn after manual saves, I can't kill the target to accomplish the sub-mission, thanks!

C6T.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

Which platform Kev?

C6T.

I do everything on a PC

Win10

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 4.20GHz  16Gb

I just couldn't restart any train. (Big Jim reported the same problem too.)

I've give up as I am still very happy with Fortnite.

Kev.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Classsix T said:

New steam traction dlc for TSW2:

18123dde10676-screenshotUrl.jpg.d384c67ebf0e82e8e8981c3bf8de63ad.jpg

C6T.

About time! May be tempted to give it a look now; looks like it's a period one too and not just running a steam excursion on modern routes from those screenshots.

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

About time! May be tempted to give it a look now; looks like it's a period one too and not just running a steam excursion on modern routes from those screenshots.

Jubilee (natch) for pax and Stanier 8f for freight work I'm led to believe.

I'm kinda concerned Kev has had issues on PC though.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

I remember they did an interview basically saying TSW was beyond saving and TSW2 was the answer to all the problems but they weren't going to transfer anyone across.

Kev.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

Jubilee (natch) for pax and Stanier 8f for freight work I'm led to believe.

I'm kinda concerned Kev has had issues on PC though.

Hmm, some of the reviews don't look too great unfortunately. No injectors?

Devs at it again wrt railways in games!

Exhibit A m'lud, "inspired by" Hunslet shunter, in France!

1812cf4023670-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.cf3bb17d525e9f314f0e58e9a9d896e2.jpg

A close up of those open wagons, kinda long wheelbase Grampus, all the same number. Closer inspection reveals them to be dual braked too, or at least piped.

1812cf4b41d4-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.69d88978aeb8bb9044e56c2038b426d4.jpg

And no, I don't know why there's a stretch of narrow gauge track either!

C6T.

So I poisoned this fella and he proceeded to glitch through the house, ending up as a pretty gruesome decorative trophy!

181365496d843-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.96ddaa51937afe844412e21a421d4141.jpg

I've spared you the view of his arse and legs on the other side of the wall!

C6T.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Success at the weekend for something I've been wondering about for a while... Anyone remember Revs on the BBC B (it was also ported to the Commodore 64)? Arguably the first racing game that could be described as a sim (there are a couple of other contenders). Well thanks to stumbling over a YouTube video showing how I've now managed to play it, via an emulator, with wheels and pedals. And it works surprisingly well, thanks to it originally having been written with analogue joystick support.

The only problem is that the amount of steering you get depends whereabouts on the circuit you are, so the same steering input will steer you a lot more in a tight corner. It seems that the AD converter gives 8-bit values (there's a 10-bit mode with a greater delay, so I assume a game will be going for the 8-bit option, both for lower latency and for a value that's quicker to process with an 8 bit CPU). Maybe 256 values is not sufficient to give a car that's both not too twitchy on a straight but can still get around a tight corner.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s my lads 18th birthday tomorrow and he didn’t know what he wanted but while in cash converters in Wigan on Saturday I spotted this, a Next level racing gaming rig, sent him the pic and asked if he wanted it for his birthday, the answer was ‘HELL YES! 

So a trip back on Sunday to collect it (and a drum kit for his little brother who is learning to play) and we set it up this morning with his TV and steering wheel, shifter etc 

IMG_5672.HEIC

IMG_5673.HEIC

certainly an interesting piece of kit and a bargain to boot going on the current RRP 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big jim said:

It’s my lads 18th birthday tomorrow and he didn’t know what he wanted but while in cash converters in Wigan on Saturday I spotted this, a Next level racing gaming rig, sent him the pic and asked if he wanted it for his birthday, the answer was ‘HELL YES! 

So a trip back on Sunday to collect it (and a drum kit for his little brother who is learning to play) and we set it up this morning with his TV and steering wheel, shifter etc 

IMG_5672.HEIC

IMG_5673.HEIC

certainly an interesting piece of kit and a bargain to boot going on the current RRP 

Very nice Jim. Also I'm glad I'm not the only one whose gaming space is festooned with cables & wires with casually strewn sneakers!

Friends I've made within Gran Turismo keep trying to persuade me to go down the wheel/rig route, I have to tell them that while I enjoy racing, controller does me fine!

Btw, Lounge regulars may recall I rejigged my mancave at the start of lockdown 1, a new worktop was procured and both 1210s and the mixer are now set up. I'll get around to pictures anon.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

a new worktop was procured and both 1210s and the mixer are now set up. I'll get around to pictures anon.

C6T.

I’ve just update the DJ app on the iPad which has 12k unmixed dance tunes on it, there is a new feature called ‘neutral mix’ which is an absolute game changer in my eyes 

as well as the usual loops and effects you can now easily fade or cur out vocals, drums or percussion so tunes that have a vocal right at the start can be looped without the vocal playing then you can fade it in slowly or instantly, a really useful tool, im not keen on gimmicks and am old school when it comes to mixing as I have always done it with vinyl but it’s pretty impressive 

1 minute ago, big jim said:

I’ve just update the DJ app on the iPad which has 12k unmixed dance tunes on it, there is a new feature called ‘neutral mix’ which is an absolute game changer in my eyes 

as well as the usual loops and effects you can now easily fade or cur out vocals, drums or percussion so tunes that have a vocal right at the start can be looped without the vocal playing then you can fade it in slowly or instantly, a really useful tool, im not keen on gimmicks and am old school when it comes to mixing as I have always done it with vinyl but it’s pretty impressive 

I might well pm you wrt that sort of thing at a later date Jim actually. I'd got myself a Behringer 5 channel mixer, so with the 1210s plugged in I'm additionally after a pitch controllable cd player and/or plug in the MacBook to play mp3. Aiui, a good modern DJ cd player will allow input from mp3 via a slot for a memory card as well?

Also an 'out' into the MacBook from the mixer will allow me to tweak mixes within music manipulation software.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve not used a CD mixer for a good 20 years! 

I stopped DJing when I started in the railway and it all passed me by until about 2010 when I downloaded the first incarnation of DJ on the iPhone and I’ve been updating it since, the newest version will also mix visuals if you have the AV output on the mixer (which I haven’t)

7 minutes ago, big jim said:

I’ve not used a CD mixer for a good 20 years! 

I stopped DJing when I started in the railway and it all passed me by until about 2010 when I downloaded the first incarnation of DJ on the iPhone and I’ve been updating it since, the newest version will also mix visuals if you have the AV output on the mixer (which I haven’t)

I think you might misunderstand. I don't need a dual cd mixing system, just one cd player (with variable pitch) to accompany the turntables. I don't need anything as flash as the Pioneer jobs or owt.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

I meant ‘player’ rather than ‘mixer’

you can get the pioneer CDJs pretty cheap from the likes of cash converters now as everyone seems to have gone over to MP3, funnily enough they had a couple in the wigan shop 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Very nice Jim. Also I'm glad I'm not the only one whose gaming space is festooned with cables & wires with casually strewn sneakers!

Friends I've made within Gran Turismo keep trying to persuade me to go down the wheel/rig route, I have to tell them that while I enjoy racing, controller does me fine!

Btw, Lounge regulars may recall I rejigged my mancave at the start of lockdown 1, a new worktop was procured and both 1210s and the mixer are now set up. I'll get around to pictures anon.

A wheel and pedals definitely makes a great deal of difference to the whole experience. An entire rig possibly less so although I do like the idea, but there's no room for it in the same room as the computer anyway.

Of course if you're enjoying it anyway that's all that actually matters.

21 hours ago, big jim said:

I meant ‘player’ rather than ‘mixer’

you can get the pioneer CDJs pretty cheap from the likes of cash converters now as everyone seems to have gone over to MP3, funnily enough they had a couple in the wigan shop 

So "see-ee-ex" has one of these which is right up my Straße, how does it compare price wise with what CashCon' are asking Jim?

Screenshot_20220615-212131.thumb.png.300f161ca49ffdbd3e81077ea323b87c.png

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

Seem to be a bit cheaper, £159 for that model but if you want a basic one there is this for £85 (plus postage) doesn’t look to have a usb slot though 

https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/shop/music-tv--video/musical-instruments/dj-equipment/dj-cd-decks/055100057460

here’s what’s available on line from low to high 

https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/search-results?Sort=price&page=1&f[category][0]=all&f[locations][0]=all&query=pioneer cdj

• Thanks 1