The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

• RMweb Gold
On 05/04/2022 at 15:30, Classsix T said:

Sniper Elite 5 releases on May 26th (for PlayStation) I'm told, I may have finished HFW by then!

C6T.

I've had a lot of gameplay out of SE4 (on PC), I didn't know 5 was due out, will have to go and check it out.

45 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I've had a lot of gameplay out of SE4 (on PC), I didn't know 5 was due out, will have to go and check it out.

Well yes, perhaps Rebellion don't do much fanfare about their games to the media. SE5's development was known about I believe, but I certainly don't recall seeing it on any "incoming" release schedules and thus I was only made aware whilst browsing the PSStore.

Still, kinda looking forward to it. I did the previous titles all ar$e about face - 3, 4 then Remastered 2 - ending on the least good one wasn't a particularly flattering sequence for the series!

C6T.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

. I did the previous titles all ar$e about face - 3, 4 then Remastered 2 - ending on the least good one wasn't a particularly flattering sequence for the series!

Ha, similar to me. I got 4 first, then 3, then managed to get a very cheap copy of 2 to get the free Remastered version.

• RMweb Premium

I am still a bit annoyed that motion controls seemed to go away for the last and current generation.

The fun to be had with a motion controlled FPS was great.

Strange to think that the best year was 2011.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Viewers might remember I took advantage of the offer on Horizon Zero Dawn a while ago.

I haven’t had much time to play it; however my immune system has now been visited by the ‘rona so I had a run at it this afternoon. 

I’m not far into it (8%?) and only just met the Corruptor for the first time. I need to figure out the best way to defeat him/her/it.

loving it though, I have to say. And a main protagonist I actually care about. 

best

Scott. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Seems a knock on of the Russia / Ukrainian crisis is the remaster of Witcher 3 has been significantly delayed rather than Q2 2022 (with project red taking it in house rather than subcontracting to what  I think was a Russian software house)

was looking forward to a full replay

of what is still my favourite game. Trying to hold fire until the upgraded game (and it’s additional DLC) is available.

An amusing glitch happened with Horizon Forbidden West yesterday.

Aloy and Erend trot off to investigate reports of some ne'er-do-wells (again) the leader of which Erend has beef with. Not a particularly easy mission, I think Aloy died twice (my bad). But when I did manage to progress I wondered where my companion was. Found him, lying prostrate! I don't know if Aloy's companions can die on mission, but he was still talking so onwards!

Erend continued to spawn (lying down) as Aloy progressed but I then blew up a bridge the pair were supposed to cross to chase the baddie. A few minutes of finding beneficial terrain design wonkiness ensued and I found a way to get across. Shooting the baddie (who'd been wandering around regardless this whole time) had no effect. I found the exit to the cave where all this took place and...cut-scene!

After that it all played properly.

Sometimes, I recall how wonderful Zero Dawn is and think Guerrilla have just made this one more complex, because they could.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/02/2022 at 18:30, Classsix T said:

Looks like I shan't be getting the third and final Adam Jensen led Deus-Ex game unless the IP finds another home then, certainly not before my fiftieth at the end of this year, harrumph!

https://kotaku.com/guardians-galaxy-gotg-square-enix-sales-targets-1848576231

This IP "squatting" really narks me. Literally taking my football home because you won't play nice, crap.

Meanwhile Squenix allegedly spent $170m developing the awful Marvel's Avengers for a return of $65m. And whilst they keep it secret what a decent return should be, D-Ex MD is on perma-sale on PS Store for less than four quid. After Sony takes their 30% no wonder Squenix are disappointed. 

With a list of the games they have that aren't alleged to please the bean counters, they must be raking it in with Final Fantasy to keep the lights on in the office.

Jeez. C6T. 

Well, who saw this coming!?

https://kotaku.com/square-enix-embracer-deus-ex-1848866849

$300m for that lot, what a steal!

C6T.

Eurogamer's take on the Squenix sale:

https://www.eurogamer.net/square-enix-sells-off-western-studios-and-ip-including-tomb-raider-and-deus-ex

As you've probably guessed, I'm rather giddy that the Deus-Ex franchise has potentially been rescued from IP limbo and the fan-rumoured third Adam Jensen led title has made a step towards actual production, freed from the shackles of an owner that clearly didn't care.

As an aside, one of the comments wrt Sony/Microsoft buyouts after the Eurogamer piece caught my eye in that even at the paltry sum the three headline IP's (and studios) went for,  they might not be what Sony sees as a 'fit' for their vision of where their business lies. It occurred to me a while ago that Sony specifically is after PS+ subscriptions to generate steady income. So whilst it'll gladly publish blockbuster single player titles from its own in-house studios (HFW) ideally it's after games that'll invite players to engage with an online element. Evidence recently surfaced of multiplayer assets in TLOU2 for example.

And given the amount of income the online elements of Rockstar's titles are making Tencent, apparently precluding much rapidity to make more single player content/games, who can blame them?

C6T.

I'm nearer finishing HFW than I thought. Two more trophies to Platinum and one of those is to just finish the game!
I'm surprised there aren't more difficult to achieve trophies frankly, no all collectables, no all Arena challenges etc. Platinuming Zero Dawn was quite the challenge, this one, not so much.

C6T.

On 03/05/2022 at 21:53, Classsix T said:

I'm nearer finishing HFW than I thought. Two more trophies to Platinum and one of those is to just finish the game!
I'm surprised there aren't more difficult to achieve trophies frankly, no all collectables, no all Arena challenges etc. Platinuming Zero Dawn was quite the challenge, this one, not so much.

C6T.

Polished off HFW this weekend. Glad to report, it doesn't so much end, as much as it sets up Aloy for the next installment. Whether that comes via a dlc add-on or Horizon 3 remains to be seen.

Found a rail yard in-game a while back btw, featuring locos that whilst looking in a bad way probably not as bad as 45015 on the Battlefield line, arf!

180a67086f248-screenshotUrl.jpg.884008a6608460a4b02645983e6e0922.jpg

C6T.

• RMweb Gold
On 09/05/2022 at 02:44, Classsix T said:

Polished off HFW this weekend. Glad to report, it doesn't so much end, as much as it sets up Aloy for the next installment. Whether that comes via a dlc add-on or Horizon 3 remains to be seen.

Found a rail yard in-game a while back btw, featuring locos that whilst looking in a bad way probably not as bad as 45015 on the Battlefield line, arf!

180a67086f248-screenshotUrl.jpg.884008a6608460a4b02645983e6e0922.jpg

C6T.

I can just see someone who has discovered rust and chipping techniques copying that for a loco on their layout 😂

2 hours ago, 57xx said:

I can just see someone who has discovered rust and chipping techniques copying that for a loco on their layout 😂

I've another picture from the same place, not lit as well unfortunately, with a tree growing out of the cab bonnet!

C6T.

Opinion piece and comments discussion on Eurogamer about Xbox digital rights policy etc:

https://www.eurogamer.net/microsofts-dodgy-drm-comes-into-the-limelight-and-no-ones-smiling

I can't comment on Microsoft directly as I'd vowed never to give my money to Bill Gates before Xbox was even a thing. However, it has been mentioned in the Lounge before now that purchase of software is merely an agreement to a license. Are some people, resolute in their belief that they own what they pay for, still having difficulty with this concept?

Also, Gamepass and PSNow are often being touted as "Netflix for games". But AFAIK, you can't download Netflix content?

Perhaps I'm missing the point of something here, but even as an old giffer, I am fully aware that purchase of a specific console means buying into the manufacturer's eco (nomic) system.

But then I've lived through the collapse of the Amiga and Sega's fall from grace.

If I disagreed with any conviction how Sony treated me as a consumer, I'd've gone PC years ago.

C6T.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Opinion piece and comments discussion on Eurogamer about Xbox digital rights policy etc:

https://www.eurogamer.net/microsofts-dodgy-drm-comes-into-the-limelight-and-no-ones-smiling

I can't comment on Microsoft directly as I'd vowed never to give my money to Bill Gates before Xbox was even a thing. However, it has been mentioned in the Lounge before now that purchase of software is merely an agreement to a license. Are some people, resolute in their belief that they own what they pay for, still having difficulty with this concept?

Depends what you mean by difficulty. As in completely failing to understand, or finding it a rather dodgy, questionable practice?

12 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Depends what you mean by difficulty. As in completely failing to understand, or finding it a rather dodgy, questionable practice?

Isn't that the same thing?

C6T.

28 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I mean, if someone immediately scrolls down to the "agree" ticky box without understanding what they're agreement is, how is that "questionable"?

Like I said, Microsoft is a company that I'll actively avoid dealing with, so beyond that this is one that others have to make a choice over.

C6T.

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I mean, if someone immediately scrolls down to the "agree" ticky box without understanding what they're agreement is, how is that "questionable"?

Like I said, Microsoft is a company that I'll actively avoid dealing with, so beyond that this is one that others have to make a choice over.

IMO the whole "software as a service", you only have a licence approach is questionable. I understand that's what it is and I'm left with either the choice of that or no software at all, but it doesn't mean that I like it or have any respect for it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Also, Gamepass and PSNow are often being touted as "Netflix for games". But AFAIK, you can't download Netflix content?

Perhaps I'm missing the point of something here, but even as an old giffer, I am fully aware that purchase of a specific console means buying into the manufacturer's eco (nomic) system.

But then I've lived through the collapse of the Amiga and Sega's fall from grace.

If I disagreed with any conviction how Sony treated me as a consumer, I'd've gone PC years ago.

C6T.

I still have not forgiven MS for what they did to Netware.

Had very good service from Sony in past and their kit lasts (1982 VCR by the PC).

Console choice was a nobrainer

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Reorte said:

IMO the whole "software as a service", you only have a licence approach is questionable. I understand that's what it is and I'm left with either the choice of that or no software at all, but it doesn't mean that I like it or have any respect for it.

I fully understand your point of view, I think it's just I'm more accepting of it? I've bought a piece of hardware and I'm obliged to purchase software specifically tailored to that hardware. I'm also obligated to subscribe to Sony's online services if I wish to participate in multiplayer. I get that and would certainly vote with my wallet if I thought I wasn't getting value for money.

The bigger issue with the Xbox piece and similar ones when Gran Turismo 7 servers suffered outages is that MS & Sony are equally obligated to honour subscribers by ensuring access to the service we pay for.

The crux being the always online element direction much of gaming seems to be heading. If their servers are up the poke, should we get a sub refund?

Similarly, you may remember I had no internet access for some time because BT are rather lackadaisical in their response to fiber repair. Should I be entitled to compensation for the internet reliant subs I was paying but unable to access?

So in essence, I don't dislike the business model we find ourselves in at the moment, but as sure as eggs is eggs I'll pile grief on a company not holding up their end of the deal.

C6T.

• Like 1

Btw, HFW clocked in at just shy of 181 hours playtime after the credits rolled. Which I think is 50hrs more than Zero Dawn first time around?

BIG game, mostly enjoyable, buggyness notwithstanding. Truly a joy to behold on a big hi-def screen.

HZD remains a 10/10, HFW? One point less purely because imo Guerrilla made the combat, skill tree and upgrade path unnecessarily more complex.

C6T.

Oh, and Slitherfangs are a bastard.

Edited by Classsix T

Looking for something in between finishing HFW and starting Sniper Elite 5 I booted up Titan Chaser. Oof..!

One of those games where the premise and thought process behind the game is actually quite delightful. Unfortunately its execution is appalling.

Ostensibly a monster herding walking/driving simulator, finding story expansion secrets along the way, it's kinda chill. Stick a cassette in the car and you're wafted along with some ambient acid-funk beats and radio play-for-today audio. The titular Titans need no more than light from player switchable sources to shoo them along. They can't kill you and reciprocally, you can't them. Cool.

I'm not against homebrew indie game making btw, but this might have worked out well if the creative team had pitched the above to a publisher and gotten the budget to make something that did the idea justice.

As it happens, the product is cumbersome to control, has visuals that are distinctly sub-PS2 in quality (and not in a retro cool way) and some of the worst in-game audio I've heard since before the Amiga.

Worthy of mention is that I would not pile unnecessary dislike on Titan Chaser, there really is a charming game in there, but it's fantastically poor in its current form.

Perhaps also worth pointing out that it's a game developed by a small team of Ukrainians, so naturally I'll not begrudge the budget cost of a "worth a look" title if it has in any way helped them out.

C6T.

• Like 1