The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

Evidential proof PlayStation will be shifting its subs services to a three tier model?:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-12-sony-reportedly-pulling-playstation-now-subscription-cards-from-uk-retailers

Not sure if I'm target market for much beyond accessibility to online gameplay yet until Sony lay their cards on the table. And I'm literally just paying my dues to play GTSport competitions in the main, PS+ monthly titles are very much a take it or leave it cherry.

PSNow never grabbed me as something I needed as I'm more likely to actually purchase a digital or physical copy of a title I'm interested in, rather than sub for it. 

The current subscription for PS+ is comparible to that of Netflix, I use Sony's services far more. But maybe that's just me gaming more than I watch streaming TV.

Anyway, c'mon Sony. Show us what yer got.

C6T. 

On 09/01/2022 at 12:00, MJI said:

I could see me not bothering with PS5 now, PS4 still works well, games prices are pretty high, I reckon my PS+ backlog and recent purchases will see me until HFW discounts hit.

I was the same with the transition from PS2 (bought on launch day) to PS3 (new but later in the life cycle) and then PS4 (pre-owned machine) Martin. It's only really been because I've had the necessary disposable readies to buy a posh telly and launch PlayStation that I've been happy to endure the merry-go-round of PS5 acquisition.

Plenty of life yet in the fourth PlayStation:

https://kotaku.com/but-when-will-sony-kill-off-the-ps4-lets-guess-1848358757

I still boot up the (not Pro) 4 for GTSport, and it's internal drive is chocker with the games that haven't been breathed on for the new machine.

Until Sony releases games that punters "must have" - available only on the new machine - or the price and availability of such are more amenable to the more frugal customers will sales really pick up. That said, published figures say PS5s have already outperformed the previous console in terms of units sold (I'm dubious on that because I imagine scalpers snapped up a considerable number of those, machines bought, not used.)

Whether Covid and chip shortages etc. will continue to plague PS5s non appearance on shop shelves I dunno.

But I don't blame you for your stance. Like I said, plenty of life left in the older system yet.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium

I have also been gifted psvr and a couple of FPS. These will need my KZ3 skills.

Managing to get off the destiny grinding wheel was good. Was a combination of toxic players, cross platform lag, and next expansion requiring pre organised fire teams to get a returning rocket launcher.

Oh and next expansion was 100 quid

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MJI said:

I would love scalpers to lose money.

PS4 still looks great on a 1080P TV .

Anyway bought a 3d printer instead. Now need resin.

Yeah, scalpers are parasites. Glad I got my new computer before they'd driven up the prices of new graphics cards. The card failed too, if I had paid over the odds to get it from a scalper, not that I would, I wouldn't have been able to get a replacement under warranty either.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thinking of getting an Xbox series x to replace the Xbox one I have, Argos retail outlet has them for £420 (if there are any left) they also had Nintendo switch for £150 which is the cheapest I’ve seen them for a long time (both refurbished with 12 month warranty)

many views on if it’s worth the upgrade?

• RMweb Gold

Thinking of getting an Xbox series x to replace the Xbox one I have, Argos retail outlet has them for £420 (if there are any left) they also had Nintendo switch for £150 which is the cheapest I’ve seen them for a long time (both refurbished with 12 month warranty)

5 hours ago, big jim said:

I'd say so. The One struggled a bit with games of its own generation.

The Series S is worth a look too if you want to save a few quid and are happy buying games digitally. Cyberpunk was unplayable on my PS4 Pro but ran fine on the S

So, like first person Sims, but sh!t, amarite?

https://kotaku.com/facebook-metaverse-horizon-worlds-vr-oculus-quest-2-cha-1848436740

Honestly, the "yoof" will totally be on-board with this crap whilst Mark Z vacuumes their cash, likely with worthless NFT bull.

Literally heading for a Ready Player One scenario, do not pass go, wait for the tech to catch up whilst we ready the Matrix for you.

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Classsix T said:

https://kotaku.com/facebook-metaverse-horizon-worlds-vr-oculus-quest-2-cha-1848436740

Honestly, the "yoof" will totally be on-board with this crap whilst Mark Z vacuumes their cash, likely with worthless NFT bull.

Literally heading for a Ready Player One scenario, do not pass go, wait for the tech to catch up whilst we ready the Matrix for you.

Looking at that I'm left thinking "what's the point?"

Virtual reality is good for doing things you can't do in real life. I meet real people every day, despite an apparent constant push (even Covid notwithstanding) to try to eliminate human interaction from day to day existence.

• Agree 1

Rhiiiiighht, I don't really get this move frankly:

https://kotaku.com/sony-ps5-destiny-2-bungie-playstation-microsoft-xbox-ex-1848453326

If we are indeed in a war of acquisition (and let's not kid ourselves, Microsoft's warchest is significantly weightier) I'd've thought Square Enix * was a better fit for Sony's gaming portfolio.

But here we are. I'd be interested to hear Martin's take being a disgruntled Destiny player and loyal Sony affiliate.

C6T.

*...or Konami, if it can rescue ProEvo Soccer and gain them access to the back catalogue IP. 

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Premium
On 27/01/2022 at 23:49, Classsix T said:

C6T. 

Aghh wrong Horizon!!!!

I was wondering if H:FW

32 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Rhiiiiighht, I don't really get this move frankly:

https://kotaku.com/sony-ps5-destiny-2-bungie-playstation-microsoft-xbox-ex-1848453326

If we are indeed in a war of acquisition (and let's not kid ourselves, Microsoft's warchest is significantly weightier) I'd've thought Square Enix * was a better fit for Sony's gaming portfolio.

But here we are. I'd be interested to hear Martin's take being a disgruntled Destiny player and loyal Sony affiliate.

C6T.

*...or Konami, if it can rescue ProEvo Soccer and gain them access to the back catalogue IP. 

Very interesting, I can see a few reasons for it.

More money into a game getting staid.

The experience of their games as a service for future games.

Some leverage if MS want to play nasty with Activision.

TBH Sony have some of the best games programmers in the business, so could sort out a lot of issues.

I am still enjoying my XMAS spend on Borderlands 3

4 minutes ago, MJI said:

Aghh wrong Horizon!!!!

I was wondering if H:FW

Some leverage if MS want to play nasty with Activision.

TBH Sony have some of the best games programmers in the business, so could sort out a lot of issues.

I am still enjoying my XMAS spend on Borderlands 3

Not sure which stiodi

1 minute ago, MJI said:

Sony are after more studios so don't be surprised to see some more biggish ones.

As above Square Enix.

Kojima is likely.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on name confusion Martin, but a recap:

Hideo Kojima is already kinda on-board with Sony via the Death Stranding deal. Kojima San fell out with Konami after the whole Metal Gear Solid/Silent Hill debacle. They retain the IP on those franchises that Kojima was Creative Director on.

Konami are now crapping themselves in Japan because patchinko boutiques are hemorrhaging money (pandemic, smoking bans etc) and haven't done themselves any favours buy making the only footie game in town that came close to challenging FIFA rubbish. Imagine Sony sorting all that out! Beautiful!

Squenix is just a natural fit, cos, Final Fantasy.

I don't necessarily play any of the above games. But the words behind the acquisition of Bungie, which we are told will ostensibly remain outside PlayStation Studios (Naughty Dog/Insomniac et al) and cross platform does not compute. Especially as it's easy to see why Microsoft are spending money. Make Game Pass the product, not the consoles.

C6T. 

Worth remembering also that (afaialtb) PlayStation is the only profitable part of the Sony empire.

Also worth remembering that the "breaking" news of MegaGlobalCorp buys SlightlyLessBigButSignificantMarketLeaderInc. has been on the cards for a while. We're only learning about it now. It may be the case that the deal isn't done. 

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Not sure which stiodi

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on name confusion Martin, but a recap:

Hideo Kojima is already kinda on-board with Sony via the Death Stranding deal. Kojima San fell out with Konami after the whole Metal Gear Solid/Silent Hill debacle. They retain the IP on those franchises that Kojima was Creative Director on.

Konami are now crapping themselves in Japan because patchinko boutiques are hemorrhaging money (pandemic, smoking bans etc) and haven't done themselves any favours buy making the only footie game in town that came close to challenging FIFA rubbish. Imagine Sony sorting all that out! Beautiful!

Squenix is just a natural fit, cos, Final Fantasy.

I don't necessarily play any of the above games. But the words behind the acquisition of Bungie, which we are told will ostensibly remain outside PlayStation Studios (Naughty Dog/Insomniac et al) and cross platform does not compute. Especially as it's easy to see why Microsoft are spending money. Make Game Pass the product, not the consoles.

C6T. 

Horizon Forbidden West (Sequel to Zero Dawn)

Insomniac were external but bought I think mainly to keep out of MSes hands

I think Kojima will go closer than he currently is.

10 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Worth remembering also that (afaialtb) PlayStation is the only profitable part of the Sony empire.

And image sensors, they are a major income as every phone has one. And their sensors are among the best

11 hours ago, MJI said:

Right on the money Martin!

https://kotaku.com/bungie-s-destiny-2-wont-become-a-ps5-exclusive-sony-sa-1848454797

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold

Treated myself earlier from the Argos retail outlet, only £399 for the 1tb 

currently sucking the free hotel WiFi getting it updated while I work out in the gym! 
54BC38A9-6EFE-489C-A7C5-AB7B1FB73D84.jpeg.ba077ccdc090de1d0c60d03856526f80.jpeg

They also had PS5 digital editions (825gb) for £329 and switch light with animal crossing for £99 and the OLED switch for £225 iirc or Normal ones for £129, also joycons for £40 a pair compared to the normal price of £40 each

Very tempted to go and get the PS5 as well

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, big jim said:

currently sucking the free hotel WiFi getting it updated while I work out in the gym! 

They also had PS5 digital editions (825gb) for £329 and switch light with animal crossing for £99 and the OLED switch for £225 iirc or Normal ones for £129, also joycons for £40 a pair compared to the normal price of £40 each

if you do I will look after it for you.

I managed a launch day PS4

5 hours ago, big jim said:

I only ask as the sticker suggests it Jim, is the Xbox pre-owned? Nice catch though, I did the same with the MacBook, significantly less expensive than new.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold

It’s an Argos return, the shop is the Argos clearance centre (Discount Bargains) they are however fully refurbished and have a 12 month Argos warranty, get loads of stuff from there, not just electrical but furniture too, my kingsize metal bed frame cost me £27 during the summer! it’s a lot cheaper than even buying from Argos, also the series X has been out of stock for ages

when i first turned it on it came up

on my Xbox app as having 110gb of space left and 800hb of games on it which I thought odd as it should have been wiped of the previous owners data but once I logged into my Xbox account again once the relevant updates had happened it then showed as being empty 

it’s currently installing some games while I go to work for the night! 

• Like 2

The PS5 Pulse headset I bought from Amazon was described as something like "shop soiled" or thereabouts, not mint basically. Not a great deal less than box fresh but tempting enough to buy. 

They arrived, not a mark on them, and are superb!

C6T.