The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

This made me laugh:

https://kotaku.com/what-the-ps5-has-and-hasnt-added-over-the-past-year-1848083865

Not because it doesn't raise actual nice things to have on PS5, but because well - ffs, first-world problems aside - every single time a hardware manufacturer makes new generation kit, they change the bloody firmware. EVERY time.

I'm a regular upgrader for Sony Xperia and PlayStation as well as Apple kit, so whilst getting used to the new order might be initially "how do I do...?" the core of what you're familiar with is still there. This piece is just literally moaning the new isn't the old.

The only gripe I've had with the PS5 is that if launching the PS5 upgrade version of a game from the PS4 disc (essentially the key to prove purchase) it'll auto-download the PS4 version of the game FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER. Begone inferior version, never darken my doors!

C6T. 

• Like 1

The GTA sh!t show continues. Nothing says "We done bad" like making the original versions of the game available again and giving it gratis to hacked off punters. Good grief.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-19-rockstar-apologises-for-gta-trilogy-definitive-editions-unexpected-issues-re-lists-classic-versions-for-pc

C6T. 

On 18/11/2021 at 11:17, Classsix T said:

Black Friday deal from Very on the 2Tb T7 portable SSD, ten quid less than I paid for the T5!

https://www.very.co.uk/1600649544.prd

C6T. 

Right. So admittedly I bought the T7 Touch drive specifically for the MacBook Air, the added security of password and/or fingerprint protection making more sense for portable kit.

Some hoops to jump through though in terms of installation. I'm not the most savvy IT guy, but eventually got everything done.

Probably over spec though for the PS5, the T5 drive is better suited I think to plugging in straight out of the box, if you see them for less than a couple of hundred quid.

I've gone this route for internal PS5 expansion:

Screenshot_20211123-111612.png.066bc894b4c6c8d54601fe5f433fad65.png

The heatsink is actually doubles as a replacement coverplate for the expansion slot, designed to take advantage of the internal air flow, worth paying a little more for I believe.

So all told for the PS5, that'll be 2Tb internal storage, plus 2Tb external SSD or 4Tb HDD. If that doesn't future proof me for some time then I dunno what will.

If only my own memory was as easy to secure! C6T.

Aww maaaan! I saw this deal the other day whilst on 2nd break at work:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-this-2tb-ps5-compatible-ssd-is-just-204-after-a-40-percent-off-voucher

By the time I'd knocked off two and a half hours later and checked which plastic had the funds it'd been taken down, which led me to the Samsung SSD & Sabrent heatsink combo. Only 50 quid in it, and I think I'm getting a better heatsink but, hurrumph.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh. A perusal of any of the leading gaming related websites makes depressing reading at this point in time, what with the high-ups at the major Dev/Pub houses doing their darndest to be the worst possible people.

I generally play games to escape from the stresses of real life.

But it's getting to the point now that when the ident of the game's producer flashes up on-screen, I'm finding myself wondering if I'm actually enabling widespread sh!tty practices.

My own fault I suppose. I don't follow music or movie news at all, so don't know if I'm not supposed to still be appreciative of flicks & tunes that have a connection with either actually toxic people or those that the woke brigade have deemed fit for cancellation. (I never rated the likes of John Wayne, Gary Glitter or Elvis particularly talented anyway, so the subsequent revelation they were less than "my type" of people is irrelevant) . Besides, aside from the artist, who knows if their immediate staff, management or any other link in the chain were awful people too? 

I guess I'm saying I don't know what the right thing for me to do is, boycott?

There's good news that at least in Australia workers within gaming seem to be gearing up for unionisation. I hope that becomes a global trend.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium

To be honest I am getting tired of the games world.

Prices are going up and up, games are getting over complex.

I just want to have fun.

I do like explore games but they are almost all becoming the same technique as Assassins Creed (my favourite is still 1)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's very little that floats my boat in games lately.

So much so that I went back and played Uncharted 4 over three or four nights last week.

What a great ride.  Makes me want to go back and play the Ship graveyard bit of Uncharted 3...

Best

Scott.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

So much so that I went back and played Uncharted 4 over three or four nights last week.

The thing that irked me about the Uncharted games was the sheer number of henchmen you had to slaughter. I don't care how big a golden statue or whatever the main baddie was after. No way would it have been cost effective after all the worker's comp claims.

• RMweb Gold

Ach but it sure is fun.

The word 'round the campfire is that the Drakes donate a small fortune every year to the Villians for Archeology Mission Against Poverty to take care of the families of those slain in the pursuit of mythical/legendary treasures...

Best

Scott.

3 hours ago, scottystitch said:

What a great ride.  Makes me want to go back and play the Ship graveyard bit of Uncharted 3...

Best

Scott.

I'll give the Uncharted series another spin when this drops I reckon:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-12-07-uncharted-legacy-of-thieves-collection-arrives-for-playstation-in-january

C6T. 

Sadly close to recently losing Clive Sinclair, another great of gaming has departed:

https://kotaku.com/masayuki-uemura-creator-of-the-nes-and-snes-dies-at-7-1848184264

Admittedly I've not been into Nintendo beyond arcade cabinets and Game & Watch LCD handhelds during my youth but I'm in no doubt of Uemura San's impact upon video game societal history.

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Best

Scott.

Heck yes. One of the best and most consistent video game series.

• Agree 1

OK, so don't shoot the messenger but here's a link to Kotaku's compiled list of release (or expected) dates for titles. Frankly it's a mess and is probably not worth the bandwidth to view it, but hummina hummina, might save you visiting the specific title's website for info:

https://kotaku.com/video-game-release-dates-1847958863

C6T. 

19 hours ago, MJI said:

Well that was interesting.

February, two games of interest and Horizon wins.

Will have to get a PS5 sometime

If you mean HFW and the Destiny 2 expansion Martin, you don't necessarily need to have a PS5 to play 'em.

Forspoken however is giving me all sorts of Aloy-esque vibes, so if it's as good as it looks I'll be glad of my big white tower of power.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

If you mean HFW and the Destiny 2 expansion Martin, you don't necessarily need to have a PS5 to play 'em.

Forspoken however is giving me all sorts of Aloy-esque vibes, so if it's as good as it looks I'll be glad of my big white tower of power.

C6T. 

But it would be a reason.

Will be writing more when on pc

• RMweb Premium

I got peed off with the recent Destiny changes, cross platform producing horrific lag, PC players dissapearing into the distance.

The toxicity of some other players, been messaged to not play something I payed for.

Anyway 3 weeks later, played one thing (auto loaded), unprepared not knowing what it was, not that much fun, all wrong loadouts ect.

So went back to my PS+ backlog.

Then they want me to spend a LOT of money (about £100) to play a new dungeon which can drop a weapon I had in the previous game.

And it comes out same month as Horizon Forbidden West.

No brainer. HFW FTW

Anyone tried the Matrix/Unreal 5 demo, thoughts? 

Initially flabbergasted, (looks even better with the Matrix grain filter turned off btw) I soon found bits that, after lulling me in with its realism, reminded me it was a computer generated world. Which I found quite jarring.

Floating assets and iffy npc AI being the most standout examples.

Impressive nonetheless, work to do though.

C6T. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The latest Microsoft store sale had the 2nd Witcher game for about £3 so I have finally started to complete the series.  After completing the first act I am finally starting to get used to its style (and accepting that clearly the interfaces etc are not up to Witcher 3 standards).  It’s a shame the first game is only on pc as it would have been nice to do a complete run though importing saves (or If that wasn’t an option,

making the cannon choices)

Train Sim World 2 is currently on sale in the PS Store, much reduced actually, so bought it on impulse. I thought the Preserved Collection was a carry-over from the DLC bought for TSW 2020, but it's giving me prices for Trans Pennine etc. I've already bought.

I'm admittedly easily confused but can anyone remember how TSW 2020 & TSW 2 work together?

Slightly connected, Steam is telling me that various Trainz Sim stuff on my wishlist is on sale, groovy. But I'm less than certain Trainz will actually run on my M1 MacBook? I doubt it frankly.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold

I thought there was no connection between the two products.

There was an interview vid with some bod explaining that the "technology" was completely different.

I must admit, I wont bother with TSW2 but would be interested in seeing how you progress/get along.

Kev.