The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Re: online, an addition to your profile on PS5 is that it'll tell you how many hours you've spent on a game. My recent completion of HZD NewGame+ brought that figure up to 319 hours. Ghost of Tsushima is clocked at 451 hours, a large chunk of that will be spending time in Legends co-op.

Do it right, I'm in. 

GTSport, 3000+ hours btw!

Hah, another thing I dislike about everything being connected to a profile and so on - I don't want the number of hours I've spent playing a game recorded!

(mind you I generally dislike the idea of anything I do being a matter of record unless I explicitly choose it to be)

6 hours ago, scottystitch said:

However, RDR1 to the same standard as RDR2 would be most, most welcome; particularly as it would become a sequel to RDR2.  Could it be issued as single player release, much like Uncharted: Lost Legacy?

I'd love a Red Dead Ultimate Edition or something where you play RDR2 and it just rolls seamlessly into a remade RDR.

I never got into RDR first time around and trying it again after RDR2 it's quite dated.

Edited by 30801

Another thing to ponder wrt remakes/remasters is, once a Publisher enters that realm of revenue accrual (and likes the returns), are they, we as gamers and the IP tied in to a cycle of renewal every next, second, or third console generation?

Example. The PS2 game Prince of Persia: Sands of Time blew me away back in Nineteenninetyfrozentodeath, cool. Enjoyed it so much I went so far as to buy the PoP trilogy for PS3 in its HD remastered form. Not sure if Ubisoft actually went ahead with it but there was talk of PoP: SoT, remade from the ground-up for PS4/5.

Fantastic game without a doubt, but still essentially the same one you played with "less pretty" visuals back in the day.

The rub! How much resources (staff, funding etc) is a Dev studio going to lose to possible new IPs and innovations if the Publisher demands said studio does yet another graphic rehash of what might be a fifteen year old game?

I appreciate everyone's views btw and I'm glad to have some discussion going, as an art form there's no wrong or right opinion. I guess I might be something of a rarity in gaming as someone there from the early years and still hungry as hell for new better stuff. Which kinda ticks me off if I perceive the industry "dragging its heels" on been-there-done-that titles that I've already got the t-shirt for.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium

This week I have been mostly playing:-

Hell Let Loose. Very hardcore,  quite slow then frantic, then slow again if you manage to survive. Looks and sounds great on the PS5 and working with other squads to take an objective is incredibly satisfying.

Free too on PS+, which is always a bonus.

Battlefield 2042 beta (early access).

The daddy is back. Warzone will be getting kicked to the curb soon.

Wow, just.... Wow. Cannot wait to get my hands on the full game.

Finally stumped up for the Seagate 1TB expansion card for the Xbox. Amazon had them via Amazon EU for a 'bargain' £150. Didn't get hit with import fees which was nice.

23 hours ago, 30801 said:

Finally stumped up for the Seagate 1TB expansion card for the Xbox. Amazon had them via Amazon EU for a 'bargain' £150. Didn't get hit with import fees which was nice.

Ouch. The Samsung external drive I got came in at a smidgen sub £100 per Tb, I'll make do with shuttling data until internal PS5 options come down to an equivalent price point. 

Are you already close to filling the on-board storage btw?

C6T. 

9 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Are you already close to filling the on-board storage btw?

Hahahahaahahahahahaah!

There's about 360GB of free space left over after the OS etc on the 'S'.

Once you've installed three or so games it's close to full.

I've now installed 100GB+ of MS Flight Simulator just because I can.

I've been playing Watchdogs Legion's Bloodlines add-on...was kinda hoping it'd inject a bit of variety into a game that can suffer from a cut 'n' paste repetitive mission structure, unfortunately not. 

WDL is a good game but if it's on anyone's interest list I'd recommend holding on for it on deep discount.

Being Ubisoft, the people who brought you Assassin's Creed, the add-ons are perhaps even less vfm, and I'd suggest waiting until they're practically giving them away. Currently the Bloodlines for WDL on PS Store is around £16 and the season pass is twice that. Considering what you can probably pick up a pre-owned physical copy of WDL for, not good Ubi.

C6T.

Although I should point out, the season pass does include the first full Watchdogs game, so there is that in its favour.

Edited by Classsix T

13 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Hahahahaahahahahahaah!

There's about 360GB of free space left over after the OS etc on the 'S'.

Once you've installed three or so games it's close to full.

I've now installed 100GB+ of MS Flight Simulator just because I can.

Ah, yeah, wasn't aware of the on-board capacity of the 'S'. About 800Gb usable storage on the 'X' iirc?

C6T. 

8 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Ah, yeah, wasn't aware of the on-board capacity of the 'S'. About 800Gb usable storage on the 'X' iirc?

Sounds about right. The formatted capacity of my new 1TB card is 960GB

47 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Game Pass is streaming games though right, no downloads? Is that not an option?

Downloads. I think it includes streaming but I haven't looked at it. Most of the games I actually play are bought anyway.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

C6T. 

I've certainty found myself having to uninstall stuff in order to install more games on my X due to a lack of space, though in a way its of ensuring I do at least keep some good housekeeping and get rid of anything which is not being played.  

I am pretty sure at present the GamePass streaming options are designed for PC use (although there is a technical work around that apparently does work via the Xbox version of Edge.  Will be interesting to see how well it works

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Thanks for the replies Gents, do both versions of new generation Xbox allow expansion of data storage via external sources, as I have done with the PS5?

C6T. 

I think it’s possible to use an external drive for storage (but not run games from it) which to me doesn’t add much value given even something as big as MS flight sim didn't take that long to download on a full fibre connection.   The expensive internal expansion of course can both run and store and is no doubt a lot more useful.

I think a lot of saved games, config files are saved on Azure rather than the consol which must help as well to a degree.

10 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I think it’s possible to use an external drive for storage (but not run games from it) which to me doesn’t add much value given even something as big as MS flight sim didn't take that long to download on a full fibre connection.   The expensive internal expansion of course can both run and store and is no doubt a lot more useful.

Yep. I have a spare 1TB USB SSD drive for external storage. You can run Xbox One games from USB but they won't have any automatic enhancements that get applied when run from the internal storage. X|S-only games won't run at all from USB.

You can swap games back & forth to run them from internal storage and with SSD on both sides it's fairly quick.

On 06/10/2021 at 11:15, Reorte said:

I've never played any of the GTA games (the premise of being criminal scum doesn't appeal -

Ah, the "am I controlling an on-screen character or playing 'me' vicariously" dichotomy?

Whilst I believe no one is under the impression that the GTA series of games offers anything near an RPG level of immersion, if I may Reorte, that statement above shows your lack of knowledge of the subject matter front and centre. And if I might add, a lack of trust in the Rockstar studios to code a cracking yarn. 

There's a huge swathe of cinema that wishes the audience to empathise with the protagonist, often they're truly awful people. This came to a head with me in the movie The Wolf of Wall Street. Leo DiCaprio plays an utterly detestable character and the film's desperate attempts (in film narration) at force empathy still grates.

GTAs are usually a tale of an, at heart, good guy trying to make good. But very bad guys are in his way. GTAIV especially I thought did this really well.

But then we come to Trevor in GTAV. Nobody likes Trevor. Remember Micah in RDR2? Trevor is a playable Micah, and it sucks.

Undoubtedly there are those, myself included that enjoy doing in-game that which would be unthinkable irl. But that's why I play games, secure in my head it's as far as it goes.

But then we've had that conversation previously in the Lounge wrt CoD, RDR2 etc.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Ah, the "am I controlling an on-screen character or playing 'me' vicariously" dichotomy?

Whilst I believe no one is under the impression that the GTA series of games offers anything near an RPG level of immersion, if I may Reorte, that statement above shows your lack of knowledge of the subject matter front and centre. And if I might add, a lack of trust in the Rockstar studios to code a cracking yarn.

I've played plenty of games - as the person being in control of the character I always feel that yes, I am playing "me" vicariously (obviously not exactly me, since the real me would be considerably more reluctant to keep facing mortal danger!) This is especially true in a story-based game, where I believe it all comes under willing suspension of disbelief - that's what makes games a unique storytelling medium, to make the player an active participant in the way books, films, and theatre cannot, and that's true even if the player involvement in directly shaping the story is minimal or not. As well as willing suspension of disbelief a good story-based game should be able to create a willing illusion of choice (and I think that one of the failures of Mass Effect 3 was that it broke that illusion). Whether or not you call a game an RPG or not I don't think matters.

I've tried playing Mass Effect on a heavily renegade route, didn't finish it, couldn't stand it. Only played the Thieves Guild and Assassins Guild bits of Skyrim once after I'd done everything else multiple times and hey, it was content I'd paid for. Didn't like those either, end up rooting for everyone after my character.

I reject the idea that I'm lacking knowledge of the subject (unless you're talking about GTA specifically and not in general).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I've played plenty of games - as the person being in control of the character I always feel that yes, I am playing "me" vicariously (obviously not exactly me, since the real me would be considerably more reluctant to keep facing mortal danger!) This is especially true in a story-based game, where I believe it all comes under willing suspension of disbelief - that's what makes games a unique storytelling medium, to make the player an active participant in the way books, films, and theatre cannot, and that's true even if the player involvement in directly shaping the story is minimal or not. As well as willing suspension of disbelief a good story-based game should be able to create a willing illusion of choice (and I think that one of the failures of Mass Effect 3 was that it broke that illusion). Whether or not you call a game an RPG or not I don't think matters.

I've tried playing Mass Effect on a heavily renegade route, didn't finish it, couldn't stand it. Only played the Thieves Guild and Assassins Guild bits of Skyrim once after I'd done everything else multiple times and hey, it was content I'd paid for. Didn't like those either, end up rooting for everyone after my character.

I reject the idea that I'm lacking knowledge of the subject (unless you're talking about GTA specifically and not in general).

Yes, I meant GTA specifically. To declare the protagonists immediately as "criminal scum" seems a rather broad brush dismissal of characters you've not met.

As for 'being' the bad guy in games, this from KOTOR is on the face of it a hoot, but like you and the author of the piece, I can find it very hard work going against conscience at times when being bad goes beyond fun naughtiness:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-21-bastard-of-the-old-republic

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of Star Wars, I finally got round to Star Wars Squadrons over the last week or so, off line (naturally) and found it all rather dull.  The problem with space combat, of course, is that there are next to know reference points and so you end up just going round in circles, both figuratively and literally (note thet correct use of that word, kids).

Does it improve? Are there atmospheric combat missions later on?

Best

Scott.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Speaking of Star Wars, I finally got round to Star Wars Squadrons over the last week or so, off line (naturally) and found it all rather dull.  The problem with space combat, of course, is that there are next to know reference points and so you end up just going round in circles, both figuratively and literally (note thet correct use of that word, kids).

Does it improve? Are there atmospheric combat missions later on?

Best

Scott.

I think it’s still installed on the Xbox, but it’s been on something like 75% complete for an age.  As with other EA Star Wars games it just feels like it’s missing something.  For a start the dual perspective narrative i think resulted in a very jarring story.   Thinking about it I never finished the other recent Star Wars game either (though in that case it was as much the poor controls as the dull story).   

Just now, The Fatadder said:

I think it’s still installed on the Xbox, but it’s been on something like 75% complete for an age.  As with other EA Star Wars games it just feels like it’s missing something.  For a start the dual perspective narrative i think resulted in a very jarring story.   Thinking about it I never finished the other recent Star Wars game either (though in that case it was as much the poor controls as the dull story).   

Jedi: Fallen Order

C6T 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Yes, I meant GTA specifically. To declare the protagonists immediately as "criminal scum" seems a rather broad brush dismissal of characters you've not met.

As for 'being' the bad guy in games, this from KOTOR is on the face of it a hoot, but like you and the author of the piece, I can find it very hard work going against conscience at times when being bad goes beyond fun naughtiness:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-21-bastard-of-the-old-republic

Never knew about some of the stuff in there (only played through KOTOR once). Ouch!