The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Damn my impulse purchasing! I went on Amazon purely to nab an image of this (as it's in my wishlist) for explanatory purposes:

Screenshot_20210921-214930.png.1a95b270c3cb1a38158d105461808cd9.png

Well blow me if it was actually in stock! So bought it, and whilst I'm at it I'll have that 2Tb SSD I'm after for the PS5. Might as well pad the box out, chuck in a copy of Akenfield on DVD too Mr Bezos...

Tsk, down around £245 for the sake of a jpeg.

C6T. 

...or is that "friendly/supportive"!

Kev.

(...who is down about a grand after my 13yr old said he needed a new motherboard, and after rebuilding his gaming PC, is much chuffed!!! Intel i7-11700, new box, new PSU, new chunk of a heat sink about the size of Jupiter, fans, lights, etc etc..........)

Actually, I was quite pleased that it all worked - although I initially couldn't find the hard disk, in the old PC to transfer across, as they don't have hard disks now-a-days! :huh:

• Like 1

There's a reason I limit myself to only a couple of trips a year to Orwell Model Railways in Ipswich...and don't regularly visit Hatton's/Rails online.

But man, there's some lovely stuff in my wishlist on Amazon. On the flip side, now I've bought that gear, I won't be tempted again?!

Pfft, you only live once!

C6T. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, SHMD said:

Actually, I was quite pleased that it all worked - although I initially couldn't find the hard disk, in the old PC to transfer across, as they don't have hard disks now-a-days! :huh:

Don't have hard discs? Or are you not counting SSDs?

Harrumph, two steps forward, one step back...

The Samsung T5 2Tb SSD was collected and plugged into the PS5 (2nd USB port) this morning. Didn't initially even appear as present, although the drive's active light was operating. So I "ejected" the HDD that occupied the other port and lo and behold, the SSD appeared in the PS5 UI. Apparently, even with the two ports, PlayStation 5 only allows one external drive to be operated at one time...maybe there's a fantastically sound reason to be this way, but it escapes me and seems kinda crummy.

So, okay, I'll need to eject the drive I'm not using if playing a game off t'other, I've had worse gaming hardware issues, even though it makes PS5s Switcher feature (the ability to semi-instantly flip between recently played games) totally moot.

Worse though is the PS5 told me I wasn't able to store PS5 games on the Samsung drive. Now, I may well have read the details of the firmware update incorrectly, it's purely a patch to integrate internal SSD expansion, but I led myself to think it meant PS5 games could be stored and played from external devices.

If that's not the case, I've just got myself a very tiny and, relative to its dimensions, massively expensive extra 2Tb of storage space.

Sigh, C6T. 

Half a step back in the right direction at least.

It seems that through a combination of journalism of indeterminate clarity, or my own lack of understanding, the PlayStation 5 firmware update was purely to allow internal expanded storage to be enabled. M2. SSD being the key phrase. 

I'll know in future to go to source on such matters. This from the Sony support page might have negated much headscratching:Screenshot_20210925-210319.png.3cbdce74fda80a81df403480cb77ca22.png

This also, wrt USB connected devices:

Screenshot_20210924-154508.png.b63e447eb9429978ab9dfc2cdd9ddb31.png

It additionally appears that the Samsung T5 can be used to store* PS5 games. Settings>Storage only gives options for the installation destination of data. Via USB devices, only PS4 games can be directly downloaded.

PS5 titles can only be installed on the internal storage. But by going into Library>Options>Move Games and Apps, data can be moved between any of the storage devices connected. 

So, phew, not an entirely wasted endeavour. Although I'm still somewhat irked it's such a faff to switch between external storage devices, each with ostensibly its own USB port, I have gone from around 600Gb of storage to 6.6Tb. With further options to expand internally. So, yeh.

C6T.

*But not read, and obviously not play, from. However a high speed read/write SSD is preferable to enable shuttling of data between the internal and external storage. 

Edited by Classsix T

Enough of my data storage woes (collective yay!) I'll give you the option to have a look at some gameplay.

A friend of mine has just started Horizon Zero Dawn and coupled with the sequel's release next February  it's rekindled my enthusiasm for this fantastic title. Off and on I've been doing NewGame+ since I Platinumed HZD including the Frozen Wilds bolt on purely to absolutely 100% the game. The last two trophies I require are to finish a NewGame+ playthrough and to  complete the game on the hardest difficulty level. Two birds - one stone. 

HZD isn't a frustratingly hard game to play, if you play smart. That's actually probably down to the fact that the in-game AI isn't fantastic, my biggest criticism of it. But then which game's goons don't shrug their shoulders at the death of a Comrade to eventually go back to a programmed cycle.

Anyhoo, here's me taking on one of the bigger bosses in HZD:

C6T. 

This from Kotaku:

https://kotaku.com/the-gta-remastered-trilogy-sure-seems-imminent-now-1847774767

I'll admit, I didn’t ever play GTAIII, but am wondering if I actually want to play Vice City and San Andreas again?

As a child of the Eighties I loved VC, it ticked so many boxes for tropes and cultural references of the time. Sometimes I'd just literally park the car and listen to the radio. Similarly, as a fan of Hip-Hop culture (although I always gravitated towards the East Coast on such matters, so the radio station Chuck D hosted was the default, natch) San Andreas brought much pleasure.

However, having spent many, many hours enjoying the experience, I'm not necessarily sure I want to go back. It'd be great to have actual "curves" as opposed to octagonal wheels on cars plus other graphical modernisation. Maybe they'll even make it so the remote-control plane mission doesn't leave you full of rage and teeth marks on the controller. "CURSE YOU BERKLEY!!!."

But I can't help feeling that video games are falling into the same awful place cinema went. That is, rehashing previous IPs because it's perhaps cheaper, coat-tailing or worse, there's no new fresh ideas.

I'll never forgive Hollywood for remaking films that literally didn't need to be made again. The Ladykillers, Get Carter, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three and The Italian Job being prime examples of Tinsel-Town desperate to cash in, like crap tribute bands that miss the point of why the original is definitive.

Traditionally though, games won't dick about with the source material like cinema does "for a modern audience". It'll be an updated version for a new generation of fans. Which is cool, but! Why not make a new sodding game and anyone interested in the past history of the franchise can hunt down that older stuff? 

It often perplexed me why so many people on the Deus-Ex PS Community demanded a remaster of Human Revolutions, but PS3s were dirt cheap and the game could be picked up for chump-change.

I on the other hand stated I'd like to play the third part of what is widely considered to be a trilogy of Adam Jensen led Deus-Ex games before I turned 50. 13 months to go and no word from Square Enix on that! 

Rockstar have released, or will release GTAV on three generations of Sony consoles (online makes them a sh!t ton of money btw) I can't get past the fact, hey, how about a new sodding game?

C6T. 

Sony wishing it could take PS3 & Vita out the back to put them out of their misery (Pt.2)?:

https://kotaku.com/sony-planning-to-make-ps3-vita-stores-nearly-unusable-1847801952

Although, it must be said, there's a whole heap of hyperbole in use by the author of that piece. "Nearly unusable" is a frankly laughable click-bait headline. Adding funds to your PS+ wallet is no harder than buying a game from the the PS Store online, alternatively, even my local supermarket sells PS+ fund cards.

As anyone who's familiar with legacy kit will attest, sometimes you'll need to jump through a few more hoops to keep it going.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
On 01/10/2021 at 23:36, Classsix T said:

But I can't help feeling that video games are falling into the same awful place cinema went. That is, rehashing previous IPs because it's perhaps cheaper, coat-tailing or worse, there's no new fresh ideas.

I'll never forgive Hollywood for remaking films that literally didn't need to be made again. The Ladykillers, Get Carter, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three and The Italian Job being prime examples of Tinsel-Town desperate to cash in, like crap tribute bands that miss the point of why the original is definitive.

I think there is a decent argument for game re-makes simply due to the rapidly changing technology, something that's probably not really been the case for film since sound came in, so I don't see it as comparing like with like.

Rockstar have released, or will release GTAV on three generations of Sony consoles (online makes them a sh!t ton of money btw) I can't get past the fact, hey, how about a new sodding game?

Is it fundamentally any different from a book publisher releasing a new edition?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

24 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I think there is a decent argument for game re-makes simply due to the rapidly changing technology, something that's probably not really been the case for film since sound came in, so I don't see it as comparing like with like.

Is it fundamentally any different from a book publisher releasing a new edition?

I suppose if we compare it with a film only previously available on VHS being re-released on blu-ray then you've made quite the case. 

Thinking about it again, I'm not sure I have an effective way to plug the PS2 into my new TV. But then any PS2-era GTA remake will only be worthwhile to me with a radical overhaul of the graphical fidelity. 

I bought Legendary Edition Mass Effect on the basis of support of the franchise and complete package of all additional content in one. Is ME1 fundamentally better than it is on PS3? Constrained by the source code they were dealing with, probably not.

Personally I don't think I have the same love for GTA to be in the market for this bundle right off the bat. It'll be up to Rockstar to sell it to me.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I bought Legendary Edition Mass Effect on the basis of support of the franchise and complete package of all additional content in one. Is ME1 fundamentally better than it is on PS3? Constrained by the source code they were dealing with, probably not.

The Mass Effect Legendary Edition is similar enough (especially for 2 and 3) that its main advantage is merely a convenient way of getting everything in one place that'll run easily on current hardware (there's the VHS vs BluRay comparison). The actual changes, whilst fine (except the over the top lens flare!) are fairly minor, even in 1, but then again from the talk beforehand it never was intending to do much else than a quick wash and brush-up. A pity really, because ME1 really could do with a proper ground-up remake, it's an example of a game which I think demonstrates the value of such, whereas 2 and 3 stand well enough on their own in their original form (and the Legendary Edition of 3 doesn't have the multiplayer anyway).

I've never played any of the GTA games (the premise of being criminal scum doesn't appeal - didn't in RDR2 either I suppose, but the setting did) so I can't really comment there other than in general.

Edited by Reorte

3 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I've never played any of the GTA games (the premise of being criminal scum doesn't appeal - didn't in RDR2 either I suppose, but the setting did) so I can't really comment there other than in general.

Play RDR2 right now!

It's not just GTA on horses it's much more thoughtful than that.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Play RDR2 right now!

It's not just GTA on horses it's much more thoughtful than that.

That's my point, I have played RDR2 despite the outlaw role because the setting appealed considerably more.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/10/2021 at 23:36, Classsix T said:

This from Kotaku:

https://kotaku.com/the-gta-remastered-trilogy-sure-seems-imminent-now-1847774767

I'll admit, I didn’t ever play GTAIII, but am wondering if I actually want to play Vice City and San Andreas again?

As a child of the Eighties I loved VC, it ticked so many boxes for tropes and cultural references of the time. Sometimes I'd just literally park the car and listen to the radio. Similarly, as a fan of Hip-Hop culture (although I always gravitated towards the East Coast on such matters, so the radio station Chuck D hosted was the default, natch) San Andreas brought much pleasure.

However, having spent many, many hours enjoying the experience, I'm not necessarily sure I want to go back. It'd be great to have actual "curves" as opposed to octagonal wheels on cars plus other graphical modernisation. Maybe they'll even make it so the remote-control plane mission doesn't leave you full of rage and teeth marks on the controller. "CURSE YOU BERKLEY!!!."

Traditionally though, games won't dick about with the source material like cinema does "for a modern audience". It'll be an updated version for a new generation of fans. Which is cool, but! Why not make a new sodding game and anyone interested in the past history of the franchise can hunt down that older stuff? 

It often perplexed me why so many people on the Deus-Ex PS Community demanded a remaster of Human Revolutions, but PS3s were dirt cheap and the game could be picked up for chump-change.

I on the other hand stated I'd like to play the third part of what is widely considered to be a trilogy of Adam Jensen led Deus-Ex games before I turned 50. 13 months to go and no word from Square Enix on that! 

C6T. 

I agree with pretty much all that you say, particularly that in bold. However, RDR1 to the same standard as RDR2 would be most, most welcome; particularly as it would become a sequel to RDR2.  Could it be issued as single player release, much like Uncharted: Lost Legacy?

Best

Scott.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

I agree with pretty much all that you say, particularly that in bold. However, RDR1 to the same standard as RDR2 would be most, most welcome; particularly as it would become a sequel to RDR2.  Could it be issued as single player release, much like Uncharted: Lost Legacy?

Considering that a large chunk of the RDR1 map is present in 2 (as far as I can tell, not having played RDR1 since it never got a PC release) I had wondered if the intention was to re-release 1 as DLC for 2, but there's no sign of that. That whole area feels weirdly empty in 2.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Considering that a large chunk of the RDR1 map is present in 2 (as far as I can tell, not having played RDR1 since it never got a PC release) I had wondered if the intention was to re-release 1 as DLC for 2, but there's no sign of that. That whole area feels weirdly empty in 2.

Yes it seems ripe for a single player DLC.  It's frustrating that so much time and resources goes into the online aspect of RDR2.  That said, I'm immensley grateful that they did deliver such an immersive single player experience, so much so that I started all the way from the beginning again.

Best

Scott.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Yes it seems ripe for a single player DLC.  It's frustrating that so much time and resources goes into the online aspect of RDR2.  That said, I'm immensley grateful that they did deliver such an immersive single player experience, so much so that I started all the way from the beginning again.

Best

Scott.

I get the impression that it was always Rockstar's intention to rebuild RDR into RDR2, but they were surprised by the update of RDRonline (and its money making potential) and instead have thrown money at that instead which is a real shame.  I've never actually played RDR, but I am a huge fan of RDR2.  I keep holding off buying the original on the hope that they will do the logical thing and follow up the GTA ports with an updated RDR.   I have tried RDR Online a few times now, but I never last that long.  I find the loading / matching rather tedious, while the coop nature adds nothing for me.  Would much rather just be able to run it in offline mode and play through the new heists etc 

I played GTAV again on the Series X earlier in the year (while it was available on Game Pass), other than the addition of the first person view, i didnt find it that much better than when I last played through on the PS3.  (though admittedly that last play through was on a smaller TV so the lack of 4k would have been a lot less noticeable.)  I certainly wont be buying the Series X version when it appears (and will be very unlikely to give it a go on Game Pass either should it eventually make an appearance on there).   As for the original trilogy remaster, I am very interested to see what they do with it.  One of the key things for me will be whether or not they upgrade the interface, and get rid of some of the more annoying things in the earlier games (inability to swim, lack of planes etc) and how the graphics look.  I am guessing that it wont be the ideal situation of porting the whole lot into the GTAV or RDR2 engine. 

For now I am replaying Dragon Age while I continue to wait for the remastered Mass Effect Trilogy to end up on EA Play / Gamepass. 

• RMweb Gold

I agree with the sentiments re. multiplayer.

I think multiplayer has/had massive potential, but it relies on discipline from a group of co-operatives, all on the same page, all willing to take it seriously, on both sides.  And of course the games aren't geared to that, rather than tactically astute play, they favour the headless chicken.

My brother, ten years my junior, plays some of the Battlefield and CoD titles with a fairly tight nit core of friends, and they get much more out of it that way, each reading from the same hymn sheet and genuinly trying to fulfil the mission as a team.  Alas, my circle of PS4 playing friends even remotely interested in these sort of games numbers south of one.

As for the Battle Royal Fortnite/Warzone concept...one despairs.

I feel a bit like those modelling pre-grouping must, in that no-one makes a multiplayer game for me...

That said, I remember back in the day my brother and I with Silunt Hunter (4? 5?) on the PC where we teamed up online to hunt a convoy. That, I guess, is as close as I got to being satisfied with a co-op multiplayer.

Even further back, we used to play Close Combat 3 against eachother. Cries of "Hiz ahmas too thick" still haunt my dreams :P. Most enjoyable.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch

• RMweb Gold

During the summer months I don't game much (not that, as you're probably already aware, I'm a prolific gamer) but with the nights drawing in and the SO watching her weekend "strictly" on the telly box, It will be back to online PGA 2k21 with a mate, some RDR2 meanderings and exploration and mastering Cathcart Circle on TSW2.

I also have the Definitive Edition of Hitman which I haven't even started...

Best

Scott.

Re: online, an addition to your profile on PS5 is that it'll tell you how many hours you've spent on a game. My recent completion of HZD NewGame+ brought that figure up to 319 hours. Ghost of Tsushima is clocked at 451 hours, a large chunk of that will be spending time in Legends co-op.

Do it right, I'm in. 

GTSport, 3000+ hours btw!

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium

I am upset.

There was an article about a remaster for PS5 of 5 of the Killzone games, all but Liberation.

Got VERY excited.

Then found it was a spoof. Ruined my day.

KZ3 would have worked well as a VR game.

• Friendly/supportive 1