The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

2 hours ago, Reorte said:

Is it supposedly a completely new game or the same one updated, like Train Simulator 20xx is, where you get the new version every year without paying, although not any new routes or stock that would get bundled with it if you were buying from scratch?

The Deluxe one illustrated comes with the North West steam bolt-on included and some other routes, which suggests it's essentially the same game with a weather patch (and possibly some other qol improvements I guess?)! I dare say the Dovetail website is enthusiastic about it.

Speaking personally, they can get stuffed, but then I've been spoilt by Hello Games' considerable dedication to No Man's Sky since it's rocky beginning, all gratis to the player.

C6T.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

The Deluxe one illustrated comes with the North West steam bolt-on included and some other routes, which suggests it's essentially the same game with a weather patch (and possibly some other qol improvements I guess?)! I dare say the Dovetail website is enthusiastic about it.

Speaking personally, they can get stuffed, but then I've been spoilt by Hello Games' considerable dedication to No Man's Sky since it's rocky beginning, all gratis to the player.

C6T.

"Speaking personally, they can get stuffed..."

I concur.

Kev.

• Like 1

If they'd offered the PS5 patch gratis and maybe done TSW3 as a sub £20 upgrade I might have been interested. But I'm certainly not buying the same sodding game three times in as many years, especially when the TSW2020 dlc (aiui) is distinctly "last gen".

I don't know for certain how all this pans out for our PC brethren, but I get the impression Dovetail either don't know or don't care how the console space works. If they're trying to pull a FIFA otoh they're having a laugh.

C6T. (Do they do their fishing titles like this?)

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Kelly said:

Those sorts of games are money sinks for all the expansion options they make. 

To be fair those can take a great deal of time and effort to make. In Train Simulator (rather than TSW) there are also quite a number of good third party ones. I don't begrudge paying a (suitable) fee for a new route or stock, any more than I do for physical models. Although I do think it would work better if the base game were free (and not bundled with anything).

Reddit post on the PC side of TSW, grumbles mostly about bugs, which the author seems to think Dovetail are reluctant to address, and further that each iteration of the game will be embedded with the same game breaking issues:

Reddit then highlights further posts, none of which seem to be glowing endorsements of how Dovetail are conducting themselves through either their development or marketing.

Lord knows I really want to like this sim, but Dovetail are making it increasingly difficult to justify giving them remuneration for any of their product that doesn't have an 80% PSStore discount attached. (Which the Glasgow Commuter dlc currently does.)

Sigh, C6T.

• Informative/Useful 1

I didn't post a link at the time to news that Star Wars KOTOR remake had encountered development difficulty, partly because quite often such issues often tend to get resolved in fairly short order. Thankfully it does actually look like the Publisher is being proactive, although I'll admit this linked article is light on specifics:

https://www.eurogamer.net/games/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake

C6T.

Announcing the latest "The video games industry is evil, won't someone think of the children?!" courtroom barney:

https://www.eurogamer.net/sony-sued-for-5bn-for-ripping-people-off-on-playstation-store

Of course, if I can claim the cost of my PS5 back, then it's plainly a victory for justice and will go some way to heal the emotional distress I've suffered having to remember my PSStore password, credit card expiration date and three digit security code...blub.

C6T.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Announcing the latest "The video games industry is evil, won't someone think of the children?!" courtroom barney:

https://www.eurogamer.net/sony-sued-for-5bn-for-ripping-people-off-on-playstation-store

Of course, if I can claim the cost of my PS5 back, then it's plainly a victory for justice and will go some way to heal the emotional distress I've suffered having to remember my PSStore password, credit card expiration date and three digit security code...blub.

C6T.

Typical ambulance chasers

On 22/08/2022 at 15:57, Classsix T said:

C6T.

Hmm... buried in the comments of Kotaku's article on the same story is this:

"I wonder if this is related to the ruling on Sony removing the redeem a code feature. I think the judge in that case noted that the plaintiffs had a possible case, but their specific argument was flawed (they didn’t provide any data to back up their claims).

Personally, I do think all digital storefronts should have a Redeem Code feature, and that the lack of such a feature (and especially its removal) is anti-competitive."

Now, I didn't know PlayStation had withdrawn redeem codes. More to the point, it's not mentioned in the legal case being brought. And even if it were, doesn't it only affect digital only console owners? I mean I have a disc drive PS5, which gives me more flexibility on purchasing I guess?

C6T.

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Hmm... buried in the comments of Kotaku's article on the same story is this:

"I wonder if this is related to the ruling on Sony removing the redeem a code feature. I think the judge in that case noted that the plaintiffs had a possible case, but their specific argument was flawed (they didn’t provide any data to back up their claims).

Personally, I do think all digital storefronts should have a Redeem Code feature, and that the lack of such a feature (and especially its removal) is anti-competitive."

Now, I didn't know PlayStation had withdrawn redeem codes. More to the point, it's not mentioned in the legal case being brought. And even if it were, doesn't it only affect digital only console owners? I mean I have a disc drive PS5, which gives me more flexibility on purchasing I guess?

C6T.

I have spent a LOT, oh and Sony also take a cut from disc sales.

I just hope they don't damage the ambulance if it brakes hard.

And I would call them that to their faces, they are nothing but parasites on companies and people. They are giving the legal profession a terrible name.

I will say the same about the emission lawsuits where the companies were clean (actually a good proportion were.)

The wording in the Eurogamer article specifically accuses Sony of overcharging on software because of their 30% cut on PSStore sales. Which frankly doesn't stand a chance of success imo (nor should it)*.

However the redemption of game keys via PSStore being withdrawn might gain traction I believe as you've tied the (digital only) customer to your storefront. Gone is the ability to buy a discounted launch day title digitally from the likes of Amazon et al. But this case doesn't mention anything about that.

*The £5bn case does itself no favours right out of the traps by bringing the cost of living into the argument.

"So having spent five hundred knicker on a console, the witness was shocked to learn Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart would cost another seventy sovs M'lud. I ask the court, should anyone have to choose between this year's Collar Doodie and home heating?! The insanity!!"

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, MJI said:

I have spent a LOT, oh and Sony also take a cut from disc sales.

I just hope they don't damage the ambulance if it brakes hard.

And I would call them that to their faces, they are nothing but parasites on companies and people. They are giving the legal profession a terrible name.

I will say the same about the emission lawsuits where the companies were clean (actually a good proportion were.)

They take a much bigger cut from digital sales than disc sales. This is true across the industry. Microsoft, Nintendo, they all want you to buy from their stores as they take the most money that way.

5 minutes ago, Kelly said:

They take a much bigger cut from digital sales than disc sales. This is true across the industry. Microsoft, Nintendo, they all want you to buy from their stores as they take the most money that way.

Indeed, and none of them have any control over the pre-owned physical market...or do they..?

C6T.

2 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Indeed, and none of them have any control over the pre-owned physical market...or do they..?

C6T.

No they sodding don't. So whilst the opportunity is there, I'll buy the physical media capable hardware over a digital only option every time.

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Kelly said:

And steam

3 hours ago, Classsix T said:

No they sodding don't. So whilst the opportunity is there, I'll buy the physical media capable hardware over a digital only option every time.

C6T.

Whilst they still exist. I think we're on the precipice of the obselecence of optical/physical media in most forms right now. Music/Video is pretty much dominated by streaming these days and games is moving in that direction with things like GamesPass and GeForce Now etc.

Microsoft tried at the start to control pre-owned games sales, and that didn't go down too well. However the market has changed since and so I don't think the next generation of consoles will have disc drives most likely, but we're a ways off from those being launched just yet at least.

One thing to note is Nintendo. They have some control over the second hand market as they do a number of game releases where they're bundles, but only the first game is on the cartridge, and the others are codes, which obviously you won't get if you buy the game second hand. Plus their games seem to retain their second hand value in general to the point a lot of times, buying new makes just as much sense as second hand. Though you run the risk of Nintendo shutting down the digital services and not transferring purchases across to the next platform, which has been the case with the DS/3DS/Wii/WiiU to the Switch. We're on the cusp of the Switch getting a replacement, though I don't think they'll be breaking the backwards compatibility on that at least.

Seemingly so far of the console makers, only Microsoft seems to have carried across purchases on Xbox Live across all generations of consoles fully (With some exceptions for games removed from the store due to licences expiring etc). Sony partially does this, but their first two consoles didn't really have stores like the first Xbox did, so it is only from the PS3/PSP/Vita onwards they could offer it realistically and so far they've not that I know of and their offerings of backwards compatibility is lagging significantly still.

• Like 1

On 24/08/2022 at 23:15, Kelly said:

Microsoft tried at the start to control pre-owned games sales, and that didn't go down too well. However the market has changed since and so I don't think the next generation of consoles will have disc drives most likely, but we're a ways off from those being launched just yet at least.

I believe MS are thinking way beyond that now. Punting GamePass as a loss leader to garner subscription fees above all else.

Series S being a digital only interface with the MS system I believe is a prototype for the eventual aim of an XCloud dongle in a TV.

However that's never gonna work whilst (specifically) the US has sh!t internet. Perhaps rather than ActiBlizz MS should be buying AT&T?

C6T.

26 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I believe MS are thinking way beyond that now. Punting GamePass as a loss leader to garner subscription fees above all else.

Series S being a digital only interface with the MS system I believe is a prototype for the eventual aim of an XCloud dongle in a TV.

However that's never gonna work whilst (specifically) the US has sh!t internet. Perhaps rather than ActiBlizz MS should be buying AT&T?

C6T.

Xcloud in TVs already exists. Samsung Smart TVs come with it preinstalled now. Theres rumoured of a Xbox Series Y HDMI stick coming later this year or next year.

On 24/08/2022 at 23:15, Kelly said:

Whilst they still exist. I think we're on the precipice of the obselecence of optical/physical media in most forms right now. Music/Video is pretty much dominated by streaming these days and games is moving in that direction with things like GamesPass and GeForce Now etc.

Whilst I'm in agreement with the gist of that I don't think I'm able to agree society in general is about to wholesale ditch ownership of physical "stuff" in favour of binary code on subscription.

I'd concur that the big bucks are being pulled in by the likes of Spotify and Netflix, however I believe if you drill down into the figures, whilst each company's turnover is impressive the actual profit they're making is largely offset buy the loss-leading business model they (and Amazon) started with.

Meanwhile, I'm regularly popping in to purveyors of recorded material on vinyl (ask yer Dad) and Blu-ray movies as I replace favoured flicks previously owned on dvd.

I mean, newspapers are largely irrelevant nowadays, but the Daily Wail does fullfil a purpose in lining my cat's sh!t box. I can't do that with Julia Hartley-Brewer's podcast (more's the pity).

C6T.

• Funny 2

13 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Whilst I'm in agreement with the gist of that I don't think I'm able to agree society in general is about to wholesale ditch ownership of physical "stuff" in favour of binary code on subscription.

I'd concur that the big bucks are being pulled in by the likes of Spotify and Netflix, however I believe if you drill down into the figures, whilst each company's turnover is impressive the actual profit they're making is largely offset buy the loss-leading business model they (and Amazon) started with.

Meanwhile, I'm regularly popping in to purveyors of recorded material on vinyl (ask yer Dad) and Blu-ray movies as I replace favoured flicks previously owned on dvd.

I mean, newspapers are largely irrelevant nowadays, but the Daily Wail does fullfil a purpose in lining my cat's sh!t box. I can't do that with Julia Hartley-Brewer's podcast (more's the pity).

C6T.

I have a pretty decent vinyl record collection thanks! no need for asking my dad about those particular items.

DVDs and CDs are virtually worthless after you've bought them in a lot of cases, the same is true for paperback books. Pre-pandemic charity shops made a good amount off of these products, but with the lockdown and people doing clear outs, they've pretty much all stopped accepting books, dvds and cds and places like CEX will give you pennies for your DVDs.

Second hand games hold some value (Nintendo especially), but only for the latest console generations. PC games are pretty much entirely digital already, the DVD in the box these days if there is one is pretty much just a paperweight as the code and account is the real product, often via steam. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft all get 30% of every transation on their console stores, they get a much smaller cut of the disc games. Simple economics for those companies will see why they are all wanting to and pushing to subscription or digital only. It is not a matter of if, but when now.

Of course retro gaming has had somewhat of a blow up in the last few years, so older games on cartidge especially have shot up in value (Super Mario 64 for $millions??).

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Kelly said:

DVDs and CDs are virtually worthless after you've bought them in a lot of cases, the same is true for paperback books.

I’ve never bought a DVD, CD, LP or game for that matter with any consideration of what it’s worth after I’ve bought it, so I’m not sure I see the relevance?

I take some comfort in knowing that no-one, with the flick of a switch, can stop me from re-reading Asimov’s Foundation nor listening to The Queen Is Dead with my physical copies…

Best

Scott. 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Kelly said:

I have a pretty decent vinyl record collection thanks! no need for asking my dad about those particular items.

DVDs and CDs are virtually worthless after you've bought them in a lot of cases, the same is true for paperback books. Pre-pandemic charity shops made a good amount off of these products, but with the lockdown and people doing clear outs, they've pretty much all stopped accepting books, dvds and cds and places like CEX will give you pennies for your DVDs.

Second hand games hold some value (Nintendo especially), but only for the latest console generations. PC games are pretty much entirely digital already, the DVD in the box these days if there is one is pretty much just a paperweight as the code and account is the real product, often via steam. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft all get 30% of every transation on their console stores, they get a much smaller cut of the disc games. Simple economics for those companies will see why they are all wanting to and pushing to subscription or digital only. It is not a matter of if, but when now.

Of course retro gaming has had somewhat of a blow up in the last few years, so older games on cartidge especially have shot up in value (Super Mario 64 for $millions??).

12 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

I’ve never bought a DVD, CD, LP or game for that matter with any consideration of what it’s worth after I’ve bought it, so I’m not sure I see the relevance?

I take some comfort in knowing that no-one, with the flick of a switch, can stop me from re-reading Asimov’s Foundation nor listening to The Queen Is Dead with my physical copies…

Best

Scott. 

Yuh, the comment about vinyl was entirely tongue in cheek, jeez the dross radio is playing nowadays has me shouting "yer Dad wants his records back!" Even though I totally dug my Dad's crates to pinch drum breaks. But whatever.

Secondly I'm with Scott. I'm not buying Public Enemy, Gary Numan, David Lynch Dune or anything else for future perceived accumulation of wealth, it's literally for personal consumption.

I popped in to my local pre-owned store and garnered Sicario blu-ray for a whole one of your English pounds. I asked for No Country for Old Men and Hail Caesar! (I'm on something of a Josh Brolin vibe, dunno why) but no joy. Specifically I want to watch these movies when I want to and not be beholden to either the streaming company or, let us remind ourselves, any internet flakiness.

C6T.