The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Mafia 3 has the Dixie Mafia who drive around in Confederate flag bedecked pickup trucks.

You have to shoot them all so it's OK.

Is it? Sometimes I get the impression that people get offended even when it's outright unambiguous villains being offensive.

4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Just seems silly that in a game where its perfectly acceptable to take a taxi and at your destination kill the driver to get your money back, people are more offended by a 150 year old flag. 

Hmm, I'm not an American so difficult to have a proper perspective on it perhaps, but there are sections of US society that see the Confederacy flag akin to the imagery of fascism in 1930s Europe.

I can distance myself from the violence in GTA, much as one does with Tex Avery cartoons or 60s Batman.

Real world elements however can be jarring, I'll not play a Call of Duty game because of it's perceived celebration of disastrous US foreign policy post WW2. Similarly, I do have a difficult time listening to the second half of Pink Floyd's The Wall, (though that's Roger Water's wake up call to the danger of the far right).

But when the character in GTA is so obviously a parody of a "gud ole boy" I say leave as is.

Fact maybe that Take2 requested the change, not to appease the woke generation, but to not offend Trumpist neckbeards by association with such a dope?

C6T. 

4 hours ago, Reorte said:

Is it? Sometimes I get the impression that people get offended even when it's outright unambiguous villains being offensive.

I was called a "traitor" to my country by the editorial direction of a newspaper for using my democratic right to vote for something I believed in.

Go figure, C6T.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I was called a "traitor" to my country by the editorial direction of a newspaper for using my democratic right to vote for something I believed in.

Go figure, C6T.

It's rather ironic that there's such a degree of intolerance of difference of opinion from certain people who (usually very reasonably) condemn intolerance.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Reorte said:

It's rather ironic that there's such a degree of intolerance of difference of opinion from certain people who (usually very reasonably) condemn intolerance.

Indeed, and it becomes obvious when they're doing it. The neo-con "freedom (on our terms)" and the far left's "eat the rich, feed the poor" are equally devisive in their them/us rhetoric.

It's made worse unfortunately by the fact young minds seem to be shepherded into picking a side by the social media they (or their peers) lean towards. There's no formation of own opinion, or even the possibility of a broad church of thinking. But then I've become increasingly disillusioned with party politics as I've got older anyway.

Flirting with forum no-nos so I'll leave that there. 

Be excellent, and party on. C6T. 

• Agree 2

After a brief bit of "new tech baffles old man" I have cleaned up my YouTube channel/preferences etc. 

New Mass Effect video uploaded yesterday, featuring the rigmarole of choosing exactly the right options for a mission, having just failed. Then, um, finding out it was all rather unnecessary!

C6T. 

Managed to get hold of a Series X Xbox which arrived yesterday.

Watching it download 112GB (excluding DLC) of AC Valhalla I'm thinking anyone getting a new console for Christmas is in for a slow day unless it's a Nintendo Switch they get.

Feelgood piece on Kotaku:

https://kotaku.com/senior-couple-was-having-trouble-with-tlou2-he-answere-1847996198

The point is raised in the comments, which games would you recommend to someone, perhaps of advanced years, that's new to the medium? What Remains of Edith Finch is mentioned, but perhaps because it is English set, not Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

I bought The Witness on sale recently, fancied a bit of chill brain teasing.

C6T. 

MacBook Air arrived last weekend BTW (still wincing at the price). But both Steam & Epic launchers installed, I'll give Apple Arcade a month or two to see if it'll offer entertainment. The way I see it, for the subscription cost it'll need to deliver a wanted game each month to justify. Must check my Amazon Prime account too to see if their subs bundle is compatible. 

But I mustn't get bogged down in thinking it's a piece of hardware for yet more games. Although the ability to pair with a DualSense controller and cast to the TV is a great thing to have.

C6T. 

Martin hasn't kept us abreast of how he's doing in Destiny 2 lately, no news is good news Martin?

However D2 was never for me anyway (first person, nah) but Kotaku has done a list of looter-shooter alternatives. Y'know, for when your games as a service title of choice launches a new season that has you throw down the controller in disgust at its ballache grindfest updates? 

https://kotaku.com/13-games-to-try-if-you-like-destiny-2-1847992175

The Division 2 is the only one I actually have paid cash money for. And yeah, it's OK.

I did actually laugh when I saw Anthem included, then the author pleaded me not to!

Jeez, is Ghost of Tsushima Legends even mentioned? Loving it atm.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Martin hasn't kept us abreast of how he's doing in Destiny 2 lately, no news is good news Martin?

However D2 was never for me anyway (first person, nah) but Kotaku has done a list of looter-shooter alternatives. Y'know, for when your games as a service title of choice launches a new season that has you throw down the controller in disgust at its ballache grindfest updates? 

https://kotaku.com/13-games-to-try-if-you-like-destiny-2-1847992175

The Division 2 is the only one I actually have paid cash money for. And yeah, it's OK.

I did actually laugh when I saw Anthem included, then the author pleaded me not to!

Jeez, is Ghost of Tsushima Legends even mentioned? Loving it atm.

C6T. 

Well

It is still addictive but I have done most of this seasons activities, just going for the triumphs, but I am getting a bit fed up of it.

Got moaned at for being bad at Trials of Osiris, so told them my age and previous acheivements (top 0.5% in Killzone 3, and streaks in 30s), no reply.

But lack of matchmaking is taking the shine out, not done any raids for over a year, nor a dungeon. So unless I put a lot of effort into finding players about 1/4 game is inaccessable, my standbys are too low leveled as they have new VR systems to play with. Next season has gone from must buy to why bother as to do the extra content you HAVE to do external to game fireteams, so new dungeon and new rocket launcher not easily accessable.

I will be trying Farpoint soon, and I think Firewall, the disc is somewhere.

Due to a son getting Steam VR I have aquired his PSVR setup.

Looking fowards to the Aim controller, not so good with DSs any more, I prefer motion controlled shooters. I was really gutted when Guerilla shut the KZ servers as I was playing KZ3 on PS3 even after I got a PS4.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This may have been posted already but back in July Max Payne turned 20 years old and the lead developer teamed up with the voice actor to make this rather nice video.

-I love that Sam Lake's real voice is a cheerful Finnish one rather than a grizzled New York undercover cop

-I love that he STILL looks exactly like Max Payne

-I love that game

As well as many other things wrong with the GTA Remastered Collection, it's been reported that a whole slew of music for the in-game radio stations didn't get their licence renewals, meaning that they have been pulled.

I do have a work around for this. 

Run the new GTA on the PS4/5 with the in-game music off, whilst simultaneously have the original GTA soundtrack running on the PS2 & other TV.

Or I could save myself 60 quid and play something put together with rather more care and attention instead.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Classsix T said:

As well as many other things wrong with the GTA Remastered Collection, it's been reported that a whole slew of music for the in-game radio stations didn't get their licence renewals, meaning that they have been pulled.

I do have a work around for this. 

Run the new GTA on the PS4/5 with the in-game music off, whilst simultaneously have the original GTA soundtrack running on the PS2 & other TV.

Or I could save myself 60 quid and play something put together with rather more care and attention instead.

C6T. 

I’ve had a short play on San Andreas on my Series X, (after first turning contrast to minimum in order to actually see anything) 

seems a really poor job, so many times you see cars driving into walls, missing textures (including a whole bridge)  and a rain animation which makes it so you can’t see a thing.

the improvements to the interface do work at least (though why on earth they didn’t add the taxi shortcuts from GTA 4/5 I don’t know as it’s so dull having to drive across the huge map to get to missions.   

I still want to replay Vice City, but will wait for either Gamepass or cheap second hand I think.   For now I’m going back to Forza 5

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

I’ve had a short play on San Andreas on my Series X, (after first turning contrast to minimum in order to actually see anything) 

seems a really poor job, so many times you see cars driving into walls, missing textures (including a whole bridge)  and a rain animation which makes it so you can’t see a thing.

the improvements to the interface do work at least (though why on earth they didn’t add the taxi shortcuts from GTA 4/5 I don’t know as it’s so dull having to drive across the huge map to get to missions.   

I still want to replay Vice City, but will wait for either Gamepass or cheap second hand I think.   For now I’m going back to Forza 5

Yuh, Gamepass at launch has saved a lot of people disappointment and being out of pocket I think.

How on earth Rockstar thought they could do a very minimum of work on these, actually have less content than the originals and then call it "definitive" is beyond me. A blatant pre-Xmas cash grab.

What with this, Cyberpunk and buying Jett prior to less than glowing reviews, you'd think it impossible to justify pre-orders? 

However, a sizable birthday gift of PS Store credit means the clock is ticking for the Digi-Deluxe edition of Horizon Forbidden West auto downloading next February....gulp!

C6T. 

Xbox expands its backwards compatible library:

https://kotaku.com/70-classic-games-are-coming-to-xbox-some-of-them-with-1848059946

However, I can't help thinking that the author is being slightly disingenuous. Sony (as a console manufacturer) never did care much for backwards compatibility and I believe most owners of PlayStation systems know that. There was a modicum of opportunity to play PS1 titles on PS2 (one of the reasons I bought one) sure but from then Sony left it to game producers to decide whether to use a new system's architecture to bring their software forwards. Much like Apple in fact.

Though it isn't the point of the piece, the PS3 section of the Store is still active (I bought Binary Domain relatively recently in fact) and I believe PS Now offers a few PS2 titles.

PS5 is fully backwards compatible with the previous generation, which was a fundamental change in how Sony allowed its system to function, probably because the sheer number of previous generation of games still in existence - being played - demands it from a business perspective. Sony wasn't going to ignore that this time around. 

The piece comes across as somewhat "won't someone think of the children!?" when "the children" have long moved on, Grandad. The ability to be able to play much older games is a nice thing to have, but for long in the tooth games two decades old? I have the PS2 and PS3 thanks.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Heard rumours it is due to a dev issue, not with devs but their managers.

They insist on a number of bugs being fixed post release per week.

So they have to make sure there are some to fix.

Not sure if RockStar but it appears to be them or the Cyberpunk studio.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MJI said:

Heard rumours it is due to a dev issue, not with devs but their managers.

They insist on a number of bugs being fixed post release per week.

So they have to make sure there are some to fix.

Not sure if RockStar but it appears to be them or the Cyberpunk studio.

Can't help thinking if the bodged, buggy, rushed release issue is going to come to a head in the fairly near future. Hope so.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Reorte said:

Can't help thinking if the bodged, buggy, rushed release issue is going to come to a head in the fairly near future. Hope so.

Agreed. Kinda depends though. If enough shmucks, Grannies and parents keep buying this shite makes it worth while, they'll probably keep doing it.

And let's face it, how many "gamerz" are there that remember the thrill of the GTA titles first time around?

I'm afraid unless the bottom line takes a massive hit (as it must've done with CP2077) we will probably tread this minefield of shoddy releases for some time.

I'd like to believe that the first party console titles will at least be a safe haven of, if not a stellar executed form of entertainment (cough...Days Gone) they'll be competently engineered to run without coding f**k ups.

Xbox aficionados should hopefully be grateful then that the acquisition of Bethesda by MS means that something like launch Fallout 76 won't be allowed to happen again.

But yeah. It's the big third party studios doing the nasty atm. And they are certainly not delivering.

C6T. 

And further to the above, third party studios like Ubisoft and Activision-Blizzard are in some sort of self implosion mode at the moment:

https://kotaku.com/bobby-kotick-actually-wrote-fran-townsends-deranged-co-1848069983

There certainly seems to be something really, REALLY rotten in the State of Denmark. If Denmark was making computer games.

Frankly, idk where I stand these days between wanting entertainment, supporting undervalued employees and not giving my money to a55holes.

C6T.